• FoundTheVegan@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

My theroy is that since decorating is seen as a feminine thing (which is silly) a lot of men will play dumb about color differences to not appear girly. It easy enough to say it doesn’t matter and not care. But those two shades are super close, but they are different. Every time I’ve had a guy blow something like this off, I was able to drill them down in to admitting that they do see a difference.

It’s not exactly weaponized incompetence but more like learned protective responses effects of toxic masculinity.

• Fushi@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Ever heard of chromosomes? Girls see colors more vibrantly BECAUSE they have X X pair which helps in color perception and distinction. But yeah if you want to blame this on “toxic masculinity”, go ahead.

• TWeaK@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

While the chromatic genes are on the X chromosome and this does give girls a statistical advantage, really most men and women are more or less the same. Most people are trichromats with 3 types of colour sensors, however there is a certain type of colourblindness only in men where they have a defficient X gene and only end up with 2 types of sensors. With women, they can’t get the dichromatic defficiency because of the redundant X gene. Instead, they can sometimes end up with 4 types of sensors and can see even more colours than everyone else - they see shades of colour in between colours that everyone else sees as the same.

So having XX genes doesn’t help you see better or distinguish colours, it just changes the likelihood of either a slight defficiency or a slight extra proficiency - but most likely you’ll be about the same as everyone else.

• Fushi@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

Thanks for the information! and sorry about not being knowledgeable enough in my previous comment

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

Ha! I almost put that info in my post. But, also you got the fact wrong.

No XX people don’t see more color vibrantly, but XY are indeed more likely to be color blind. But honestly the rate at which XY chromosome men are more color blind is nowhere near the amount of guys that can’t tell the difference between colors. Absolutely more men are red-green colorblind due to heredity, but that doesn’t explain why the majority of men claim to not be able to see the difference between all sorts of different color sets that are similar.

I mean come on, stop and think why this even got posted. It’s a well known trope that isn’t explained by a few % more XY people being colorblind.

• Fushi@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

Thanks for the clarification! but yeah honestly every girl I know is way better at differentiating color than I am, while I am good at it, from my experience girls have been better at that

• Sidhean@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Thats a cool and valid anecdote! I, myself, am AMAB and can differentiate between colors super well. Hopefully my anecdote can help balance our your a bit -

• kemsat@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

No. It’s not guaranteed that females can see more colors. It’s almost impossible for males to do so (XXY chromosome grouping, which is also rare), but it’s also fairly rare for women to be able to see more colors. Females can also be colorblind, but it’s very rare: both X chromosomes you get from your parents must carry the deficient gene.

• supamanc@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Yes, there is a difference, but it’s barely perceptible, therefore it makes no difference which one is picked. If you actually have a preference go with that one. Otherwise flip a coin.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Well yes, but that is besides the point of what I’m saying? Of course the choice doesn’t matter, they are functionally the same, just not exactly the same. No one would come out and say that DEF the right is better and the left sucks.

But they ARE different. I mean this works as a joke here in shit posting because it’s a well known thing that a lot of men will say there is NO difference. That’s not true.

• kemsat@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

You’re being hated on, but I get what you mean. There are people that to fit in, according to what they’ve learned or been taught, would pretend to not see the difference. I guess people here don’t think that such things can affect people.

• djdadi@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

But also, there are lots of colorblind guys. I can’t barely tell a difference between brown and green, let alone these colors.

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

I’m a guy, and at first glance, I literally didn’t see a difference. The colors are so close that I just didn’t bother taking the time to actually check if they’re slightly different.

Yeah, if I take the time and look closely, I’ll notice a difference. If I’m decorating a room or something and actively looking at colors, I’ll make sure to grab the same code because someone would notice otherwise, but I’m really good at just ignoring small differences.

And I’m very far from your arrival stereotypical “masculine” man. I spend more time than my wife snuggling with our kids, I hate trucks and love hybrid cars, and I am usually very reserved in public instead of taking up lots of space. So I don’t think I fit those typical gender roles, I just literally don’t care about small differences in color, and I do not notice unless someone points it out.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

Do you see the irony of writing out a few paragraphs so you can explain “not all men have toxic traits” to a woman about why her personal take on patriarchy is flawed? Gender roles are made up BS, so I’m happy you don’t see yourself in that binary. But look how many other men also came to correct me. You have plenty of company saying very simmiliar things.

Not liking trucks or snuggling your kids doesn’t exempt you from possibly picking up culture influences. Look, you don’t have to agree or like my personal opinions. No one does. But I’ve already explained thoughts throughly enouvh yesterday. Go read my other comments if you like, but I’m done talking about this.

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

You came out with a gender stereotype (men don’t like decorating), and the response you got was (probably) men explaining how that doesn’t hold. I gave a specific example of why I, as a man, don’t notice slight color differences, and it’s not some macho “decorating is for girls” reason, I literally don’t notice them unless I take the time to look. So it’s less about some cultural aversion and more not noticing stuff I don’t care about. I’m sure you’re the same way in other areas (e.g. my wife doesn’t notice differences in similar looking bicycles, but I do because I care about the domain).

You’re obviously entitled to your own opinions, but if you post them publicly, expect them to be challenged.

And no I don’t see irony here. If I’m going to take the time to write something out online, I’ll be throughout so I’m hopefully less likely to be misunderstood. I do it for pretty much everything, I want to see high quality content, so I try to contribute what i think is high quality.

• Captain Aggravated@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Actual man here:

The original image above, the color is so close that my brain is willing to write off any perceived difference as an optical effect; one page might be held at a slightly different angle to the light and slightly more in shadow or something. The cropped side by side image with most of that context removed, yeah the left one is slightly darker.

Imagine I was painting a room. A big room, enough to need more than one gallon of paint. if I got halfway through a wall, ran out of the first can, opened the second can, and the color was that different where it left a visible seam…yeah that would irk me. On the other hand, if they told me they’ve only got one can of each of these two colors…I could make that work. I could plan ahead and put the seam in a corner or something where again the angle of light will probably trick you into thinking it’s not there.

That’s not what women do to me though. What women do to me is scamper up with a handful of swatches/lipstick tubes/nail polish bottles/whatever, and say “Which do you like better? Totally Tiffany, Neon Bruise, or What Barbie’s Black Friend Wears?” All three are similar shades of purplish magenta. They’re close enough that one being slightly farther back in her hand or at a slightly different angle to my eye can change the difference. She intends to choose one, buy (or sometimes wear) it, and leave the others behind. Once it’s on her hands/face/walls, you’ll never see the others.

Now, in the case of makeup…It’s genuinely not “that’s girl stuff, being interested in that threatens my masculinity” or however many pop psychology feminist blame words you want to stack up on it. It’s how vehemently negative women react to men expressing opinions on makeup. I, like approximately 4 billion other men, don’t really like how women look when they’re wearing a lot of makeup, and have been bitched out at length for saying so. As a result, A: I no longer see women as “pretty” or “beautiful” because one way or another they really aren’t, and B: I’m going to shut down any question here as abruptly and angrily as possible. Probably with a “How fucking DARE you ask me this?” Starting out trying to be nice and diplomatic “It doesn’t matter to me, go with the one you like” is just a waste of time, because she will not accept it.

In the case of house paint, there’s a 45% chance that she’s in the same “there is a perceptible difference but it’s so close that it won’t matter in the finished product, but I’ve got to tell the guy behind the counter to make just one of them” headspace he’s in, and the real dispute is that neither of you are willing to make the pointless decision neither of you cares about, and a 55% chance she’s already picked out a favorite and she’s “testing” you to see if you’re going to pick the same one, because this month’s issue of Cosmo told her to. Most of the time you can tell which scenario you’re in if she’s asking about the primary or trim color.

Then when he says “They look the same to me” she interprets this as “I am strongly asserting that these are precisely the same CMYK shade” and not “they’re so close that it’s not worth the effort you’re asking me to put in.”

Meanwhile this whole time I’ve been two aisles down on staring at the cans of Minwax stain utterly convinced that the little sample window they put to show you what color the stain is are all the same shade of brown with different patterns of wood grain in them.