• yata@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Not necessarily. The majority of current US was colonised long after it became an independent state.

• callouscomic@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

I’d argue the majority of English-based naming though are in the original 13 colonies and were named prior to 1776. Having lived on both coasts, it sure seems that is the case.

A lot of the other places are likely due to later immigrants building their own communities west of those colonies, and then there are a lot of coincidences as well.

And then there’s a ton of cities named after Bible references.

• nilloc
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

I’ve lived in the Midwest, and after moving to New England, this it very much the case. Most of the 4-5 states that make up New England are full of towns with the same names from old England used over and over.

But in the plus side we don’t sound like idiots when we visit and know how to pronounce Gloucester and Worcester.

French Canadians in New England did the opposite though, and seem to aggressively mispronounce their French locations (Calais, Barre, Montpelier).

• SokathHisEyesOpen@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

It’s originally a city in North Yorkshire, so the English aren’t all that original with their city names either.

• CADmonkey@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

I used to have a motorcycle that was manufactured there.

EDIT: I checked out of curiosity and I still have a motorcycle that was manufactured there.

• CADmonkey@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

You see, I had a 750 Street Rod that was made in York, PA. I traded it in a month ago on a Nightster that was also made there.

• Pandantic@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Sometimes they don’t even put new in front of it. Illinois has a Milan, but they pronounce it My-lan. Smh

• grysbok@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

I live in New England, USA. I was talking with a Brit about the British show The Archers. The Brit asked me whether I could tell which places were made up for the show and which were real. I told him that if I new a place in New England named something, it was probably a real place in the UK.

• CADmonkey@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

York isn’t just a city in England, it’s also a city in Pennsylvania.

Also, the existence of New Caledonia and New Britain tells me it’s not just Americans doing this.

• Echo Dot@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

I believe there’s also a New London, pop 15 plus someone’s dog, which shows a distinct lack of imagination.

• abaci
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Can’t believe those Americans, capturing New Netherland from the Dutch and renaming it in honor of the Duke of York. Just like an American to do that

• PhlubbaDubba@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

We even do it to ourselves

Indigenous PNWers call white folks bostoners because of how many of them originally came from Mass and named their new settlements after towns in Mass

• Airazz@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

There are like twelve Londons in the US. Looks like we exported only the best and the most creative.

• HerbalGamer@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

I remember flying to NYC from Europe and being very confused at seeing the very same names on the in-flight map as when we departed. Amsterdam, Berlin, Paris… they had all of them!

• southsamurai@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

I mean, they weren’t always Americans at the time, but it’s still funny :)

Besides, it was the new world (in that it was new to Europeans)