• PP_GIRL_@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

They’re not grounded when they’re standing in the pool, though. If they grabbed a ladder or if someone on the ground tried to hand them something, they’d get a good shock, but they’d trip a breaker before anything deadly happened

• Justin@lemmy.jlh.name
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Tripping the breaker usually doesn’t trip the switch, so that wouldn’t actually change anything. Not that I recommend trying.

• PP_GIRL_@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

I don’t know why you’re doubting me, but the only reason why “toaster + bathtub” means death is because your body is in contact with the bathtub, which is grounded. Regardless, you still wouldn’t die unless you had preexisting health conditions like a weak heart on account of the aforementioned breakers

An above ground pool like the one in the picture insulates you with a very thick floor of rubber. Here’s an article about exactly what I’m talking about

How a backyard swimming pool can become an electrical death trap

Excerpt:

“It wouldn’t look or sound any different. You could jump in, swim around and be fine in the water with the electricity but once you become the bridge to ground by touching the ladder or rail you’d die,” said the licensed electrician with 20 years of experience.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.worldM
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Regardless, you still wouldn’t die unless you had preexisting health conditions like a weak heart on account of the aforementioned breakers

Are you telling me reruns of mystery shows from the 70s lied to me? COLUMBO LIED TO ME?!

Wait- what about hair dryers?

• AA5B@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

So , it looks like an inflatable pool - no metal structure nor ladder. Perfectly safe

… not that I’d want to test that

• AA5B@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

the only reason why “toaster + bathtub” means death is because your body is in contact with the bathtub, which is grounded

Someone needs to learn about acrylic and fiberglass tubs🤪