• @BlazeOP
      link
      English
      317 months ago

That’s for sharing, that’s unfortunate.

I think long term there might be 20-50 instances willing to deal with that kind of crap rather than the 1000s there are now

• UKFilmNerd
    link
    fedilink
    English
    317 months ago

We have a problem over at feddit.uk, the sole admin has gone missing and no one has been able to contact him. All we wanted is for a few more people to be made admins then problems could be solved. A new server/instance is going to be created and hopefully everyone on feddit can move over. Unless the admin comes back, it will fall behind in updates and become defederated. This happened once a few weeks ago by lemmy.world but we managed to convince them it was in error and they federated us back in.

• @LocustOfControl@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      47 months ago

I see that the admin came back and now there’s a few admins there and all is well 👍

More an update for others, since I expect you already know!

• UKFilmNerd
        link
        fedilink
        English
        37 months ago

Thank you yes. The original admin, for whatever reason, made an appearance and as you say, created more admins who use the server a lot more.

Everything should continue as normal. They were incredibly close to launching a new instance as well.

• @Anafroj@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      157 months ago

As a trader, I would say this is a minor correction and we really should not read much into it. :) (of course, this is not a financial graph, but I’ve seen the similar patterns of impulse/correction in many graphs that measure opinion and/or human activity)

• ElleChaise
        link
        fedilink
        117 months ago

Came from reddit and I’m still here. Maybe I’m the only one planning to stick around, but probably not.

• Ech
          link
          fedilink
          English
          87 months ago

This seems less about users bailing and more about instance admins deciding to do so. The latter have a much higher level of overhead and stress to deal with, so it makes sense to see as the highs of the Reddit protests fade out.

• @BlazeOP
          link
          English
          27 months ago

Interesting, but I’m not sure people would like to have Reddit comments there. Hopefully movies are an interesting enough topic to have people commenting there themselves

• @rglullis@communick.news
            link
            fedilink
            English
            27 months ago

The communities will only get reddit mirrors if the mod expresses interests on it. I can create the community and leave it “fully organic”

• @BlazeOP
              link
              English
              17 months ago

Good to know! Still going with lemm.ee for now, but I might use your instances for other communities (such as !comics@lemmy.ml that I’m trying to make more lively)

• @BlazeOP
        link
        English
        17 months ago

Just realized that narwhal.city is Lotide and not Lemmy, so maybe the message got lost in between

• @BlazeOP
      link
      English
      87 months ago

Yes, I’ve seen that one

• kratoz29
      link
      fedilink
      English
      57 months ago

Sell??? Is a Lemmy instance actually profitable?

• @willya@lemmyf.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        57 months ago

They’ve actually put some of their own custom code and stuff into it, but no I don’t think it would be worth buying it. Using another UI achieves all of the tweaks they created.

• Deebster
      link
      fedilink
      English
      37 months ago

That’s not great for user privacy - having a database of people’s kinks up for sale is not a headline that will help the Lemmy project. Hopefully everyone’s sensible enough to have anonymous alt accounts for their embarrassing Lemmy usage.

• kersploosh
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    7 months ago

Hundreds of small instances have disappeared in the last few months. If The Federation was still working I could scrape the current list of instances and identify ones that have appeared/disappeared since I last scraped it in July.

https://lemmings.world seems to be alive but doesn’t fully load for me before the connection times out.

Here are a few down instances that I found manually:

• @ChefTyler1980@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      77 months ago

I was going to mention geddit.social because that was my second instance (I had moved there from Lemmy.world in an effort to spread the load) until it went down with no info/reasoning.

• kersploosh
        link
        fedilink
        English
        27 months ago

It’s working for me now. Earlier today the main page’s static content (site header and sidebar) would load, but no posts.

• @BlazeOP
        link
        English
        27 months ago

Thanks for that tool, didn’t know it

• @BlazeOP
          link
          English
          37 months ago

You are welcome! I hope everything is going well on your side, your instance is cool!

• Lenny
    link
    fedilink
    English
    137 months ago

I’m new here and quite liking it, but I have to say, the constant “it’s not working out” messages in these posts make me not want to engage as much. No one likes to invest in a downward trend.

Maybe the community needs to be a little more enthused, and it will keep newer folks around?

• Spzi
      link
      fedilink
      English
      87 months ago

Read these as exceptions. Most instances are fine, which is why they are not talked about. Recently there was a post discussing uptimes. Many had more than 99.3%.

• @BlazeOP
      link
      English
      37 months ago

Welcome!

• @BlazeOP
      link
      English
      57 months ago

Ah, that could be, but for several days?

• @BlazeOP
      link
      English
      47 months ago

It is for me well, that’s good news!

• Otter
    link
    fedilink
    English
    67 months ago

Long term it might be better to get some existing organizations involved in some of these niche use cases. There are non profits out there operating in different industries and they would have the momentum and support to keep instances going, as opposed to a single person running an instance locally.

For the general purpose instances I don’t feel as bad (it sucks, but there’s more out there). For the topic based ones, it’s harder to migrate those communities to something else and it’s not great to have everything on one instance

• @BlazeOP
      link
      English
      37 months ago

Definitely.

I’m surprised that besides the SDF and KDE social there aren’t many FOSS non profit who started a Lemmy instance, while Mastodon seems quite mainstream now

• Deebster
      link
      fedilink
      English
      17 months ago

My old instance lemmyrs.org went down and it’s because the admin didn’t have enough time to deal with an upgrade problem. They were talking about having Hackyderm help out/take over but that clearly didn’t go anywhere.

Having some kind of escrow where the DNS/server could be stored for these single-admin instances might be a good idea.

• @jaamesbaxterr@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    57 months ago

Yeah my Lemmy.ninja account stopped working a few days ago. No clue why, or even where to look to find out. I hope it wasn’t just lack of funding because I gladly would have donated.

• @BlazeOP
      link
      English
      27 months ago

Great news!