• morgunkorn
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Thank you, my eyes are still twitching 5 minutes after closing the page 😵‍💫

• Hypx@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Even better, look into non-BEV choices. Hydrogen cars are now a thing. But people are just weirdly desiring of a BEV monopoly, with themselves as the ultimate loser.

• Camelbeard@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Why would you want a hydrogen car and still be dependent on gas stations? I’d rather just charge at home using solar panels.

• vivadanang@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Also, Hydrogen is notoriously hard to nail down in the sourcing - Green is great, blue not so much as it means there’s more fossil fuel production somewhere in it’s creation. This has led to Denmark pulling back on it’s investment in hydrogen infrastructure and closing it’s stations. https://www.hydrogeninsight.com/transport/hydrogen-vehicles-in-denmark-left-without-fuel-as-all-commercial-refuelling-stations-shuttered/2-1-1519914

• HeartyBeast@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Perhaps people who only have on street parking, and therefore find it difficult/impossible to charge at home.

• Moonrise2473@feddit.it
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Have no direct experience but from what I saw on YouTube videos, filling an hydrogen tank seems to take a similar amount of time to charge from 30 to 80% a car at a fast 150kw station

Except that you’re forced to fill always at 100% and because it requires an operator for security it’s not available 24/7

Maybe it’s better for a freight truck as it would require the electricity of a small town to recharge with those megawatt charger connectors

• Camelbeard@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Maybe it depends on where you live, but plenty of city street parking with a charger here, not as cheap as using your own solar energy, but still pretty cheap compared to gasoline.

• HeartyBeast@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

I live in East London. There’s are quite a few chargers. There certainly aren’t ‘plenty’ in the context of a large-scale switch from petrol/diesel.

Certainly not entire me to get a plug-in yet

• Hypx@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Hydrogen is made from water. It too can be made from solar panels. Though probably from some kind of more centralized system than everyone with their own solar panels.

• vivadanang@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            8 months ago

yeah the reason you’re getting these downvotes:

water is made of hydrogen and oxygen. it can be split through electrolysis into it’s components through the addition of electricity.

if baseband solar had the capacity you could power electrolysis production of hydrogen and it’s been proposed in a few places where solar is cheap and land is available.

• vivadanang@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

yeah science bitches! I honestly had a whole rant fucking raving about how stupid someone could possibly be to think that ‘hydrogen is made from water’ but walked the dog before replying and let it just go.

I do weep for our future though, because goddamn, I’m a fucking moron. So if I’m the one dishing science to the chuds… we’re all fucked

• GreyEyedGhost@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 months ago

Perhaps you should have considered they don’t speak English. Consider these phrases. “Hydrogen is made from water.” “Hydrogen can be produced from water.” “It too can be made using solar panels.” “It can also be produced using solar panels.” Syntactically, both sets are very similar, but have very different meanings.

Sometimes we need to take a step back and see if there’s a legitimate reason people say or do certain things instead of assuming everyone is hopelessly stupid.

*I don’t know if they speak English as a first language, a second, or at all. But just given the odd phrasing, I suspect it was fed through a translator. And Lemmy is more diverse than some other social platforms.

• vivadanang@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  8 months ago

perhaps! I can be a judgemental asshole. But I also figured after the first dozen other people downvoted them I’d at least mention it.

edit: no, looking at their post history, I think they have a fine grasp on english, just not basic physics or chemistry.

• intensely_human@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  8 months ago

Applesauce is made from apples in the same way hydrogen is made from water.

I appreciate your advocacy for a generous interpretation but I see nothing wrong with the claim hydrogen is made from water.

• Arrakis@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                8 months ago

Wait til they find out about dihydrogen monoxide AKA the drink that 100% of people have and eventually die

• dan@upvote.au
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I like the idea of EVs because I (and a lot of other people here in California) have a solar system that produces more electricity than what I need day-to-day, so charging the car is effectively free. I don’t have an EV yet but will probably buy one next year.

I really like like the Ioniq 5 and 6, but it’s kinda ugly at the front and back. I just want an EV that looks like a car, not some futuristic-looking thing.

• dan@upvote.au
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

I do but the rate is very low.

The cost of electricity in summer is around $0.45/kWh in peak times and $0.37/kWh in off-peak times. I get 1:1 credits for excess generation, so any overproduction during the day can offset usage at night or on cloudy days.

However, if I have credits left at the yearly true-up, they’re only cashed out at around $0.04/kWh. There’s more value in using the credits rather than cashing them out.

• Hypx@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

FCEVs basically mean the same thing, and it will be viable for everyone and not just the rich.

• Player2@sopuli.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Batteries are only getting cheaper and I have never seen a hydrogen station or even vehicle in my entire life.

• Hypx@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

You probably didn’t see a BEV until the last several years. FCEVs will plunge in cost until they are no more expensive than ICE cars. That will be the real revolution.

• Carighan Maconar@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                8 months ago

How come you know this?

We’ve seen pushes for hydrogen, hard ones. And yet ultimately they had to concede that the inherent downsides of hydrogen make them only useful in a select few situations, compared to BEVs that are far better fits especially in the small/commute personal car market where their already short charging duration is irrelevant due to the briefness of the trip.

Not everyone is a professional truck or long distance bus driver where hydrogen can play to its strengths. Even with busses, my city has fully electrified busses with gasoline ones only being used as a backup now. The way they do it is by having a slightly larger spare fleet than normal, so busses can charge while others are running, and then swapping them as a bus nears the end of its lap where everyone has to exit anyways. Intra-city busses benefit massively from regenerative braking, after all.

I mean, do humor me, because I thought hydrogen was a fantastic idea, until I actually read up on it and it turns out it’s not actually a very good tech, as cool scifi as it sounds at first.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  8 months ago

We had pushes for electric cars too and after decades all we had was a few overpriced, underperforming examples that took forever to charge. Electric cars were a non-market-viable novelty for a long time.

• Hypx@kbin.social
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  8 months ago

I do my homework. It’s all about following the evidence.

Toyota has already come out and say that a fuel cell car costs the same as an ICE car to build, at least in theory. But it has very small resource requirements, so it seems self-evident that it is the case.

You don’t have to make a compromise. If there’s a way to power a car just like a conventional gasoline car, while also being a zero emissions electric car, then there’s no reason to oppose the idea.

Most engineers in the car industry actually believe the hydrogen car is the future. And they still do. What you’re hearing on social media is just a lot of marketing BS coming from BEV companies. Most of these accounts are Tesla drivers or investors. None of them are being honest.

• Player2@sopuli.xyz
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                8 months ago

Battery vehicles were made the hot item over a decade ago by Tesla… The real evolution would be to get rid of car dependency altogether

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  8 months ago

Not sure if that would be an evolution. That would be like a sea sponge saying “the real evolution would be getting rid of multicellular structures”.

Car dependency is a new thing, and it’s also called “using cars because we vastly prefer that to not using cars”.

• Hypx@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

They are aiming to ban all alternatives, or create subsidies in such way that only one idea can exist. That is consistently with a monopoly.

• mayonaise_met@feddit.nl
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            8 months ago

No, it’s not. A monopoly is a market situation in which a single entity controls the supply of a product or service. A government can be a monopolist. For instance in many countries the government owns the railway company.

You’re describing regulation. That’s a whole different topic.

• Hypx@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

Then you may prefer something like oligopoly. The goal is to have just a few companies that only make one type of car with no other options. Cost of transportation will go much higher. The conclusion is still the same: very little or no consumer choices.

• Hypx@kbin.social
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  8 months ago

It’s still something pretty close to a government mandated monopoly. Hell, most Tesla fanboys want literally just Tesla owning the entire car industry. And the Chinese car companies are all being controlled by the Chinese government. It’s closer to being one company than you think.

• cedeho@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

ahh yes, hydrogen. They are standing all around at the dealers waiting to be bought. hm? what? you mean Mercedes did still not manage to fulfill the promise of like 2003 of hydrogen car series in 2023?

I know what you are saying and I also like the idea, but BEV are much less complicated and way more adult yet.

Why not both though? and add phev in the mix?

• Hypx@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

In the short-term, all types of cars will exist including PHEVs. It is the BEV fanatic that is trying to eliminate all alternatives.

• max@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Designed in California. Reminds me of the missing rain gutter around the boot of the model 3. When you open(ed) it while it was raining, all the water would pour right into your boot, onto your stuff.

• Zink@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Because cars clearly do not need to stand up to rain, like that ever happens anywhere…

• Pendulum@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Do people read this headline and believe that this is a design flaw? That of all Teslas sold and driven anywhere in the entire world since they were first sold, none have ever been in rain?

There was major flooding around where this Tesla was. Idiots obviously drove it in flood water or it got submerged while parked. This is an insurance problem, not a click bait “herrrr derrrr Elon so stupid” problem.

And if they are stupid enough to not have had insurance on a brand new car, this is a “point and laugh at the idiot crying to the press” problem

• SokathHisEyesOpen@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

There are Teslas fucking everywhere in and near Seattle. If rain was a problem for the cars then there would be zero here, instead they’re like every tenth car.

• Sunfoil@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

While probably true, Teslas build quality is very questionable. It was probably a little of column A, a bit of column B.

• Andi@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

This seems a bit fishy to me, I don’t buy it.

I reckon the couple had done something stupid in the car like drive it through a fjord ford that was deeper than they thought, or through a flooded section of road and actually did submerge the battery. Multiple times.

Then went to dinner. And the car had enough.

They get the scary quote, then decide to omit the majority of the day’s activities when complaining to the local newspaper in order to shame Tesla/Elon to pay up.

• Swedneck
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

meanwhile with a bike the most egregious surprise cost you can get is if your e-bike gets totalled and you have to buy a new one, which would cost like $1000