This time I am not asking for money and thank you very much to all the people who have unconditionally helped me, I really appreciate it!

Yesterday after taking my cat to the vet (who is currently doing fine, thanks for asking) I had to visit someone in the hospital and that person was receiving a blood transfusion, and then it came to my mind what one of the great users who helped me told me: “I encourage you to pay it forward if and when you are able. This doesn’t mean the next time you have money, necessarily. Please look out for your needs first”

I am really lucky to be in good health and that’s really something I can help with and I don’t think it affects me in any way. I know that first they will do tests to detect if everything is ok but I think it is, and at least in my country they are usually constantly asking for donors, so maybe I could schedule a visit when I can (because unfortunately you have to schedule a visit, I can’t just got) and so I can help someone who needs it!

• Aryuproudomenowdaddy [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I’m not sure if it’s dependant on blood type but you can probably ask to use an apheresis machine that requires a few months before donating again because it takes two units instead of the normal one. The whole appointment takes longer but I find it’s a lot more convenient to do regularly when the vampires are only calling me 4 times a year.

• btfod [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Glad to hear your cat is doing well.

As a serial blood donator myself I say: absolutely. You are literally giving the gift of life to another person, plus you may get dope snacks and swag in the process! I’d still do it even absent the little freebies.

I have to do a screening questionnaire each time to make sure I’m eligible… what goes into all that will certainly vary depending on your location and the org collecting the blood. In my area some of these questions relate to the donor’s sexual preferences, drug use, and other “high risk” behaviors… I never like the tone of these but I don’t know enough to unpack whether those are reasonable or not. I’m willing to overlook this because I accept that they really are asking for the benefit and protection of the recipient. Maybe my analysis is flawed, but I would still say to answer these truthfully so you don’t risk harming another person.

There are risks inherent to the process… not sure what’s normal in your area but they take about a pint from me when I give. That does tend to make me feel dizzy and sometimes I get a headache but I’m fortunate not to have experienced fainting or any other ill effects.

I think it’s great you’re considering this and I’d encourage anyone with the means to do the same.

• CatUserOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I’m not the one to judge either, I guess I understand why they ask that kind of questions, although I also guess they test the blood very well before donating it, so I still don’t understand…

And thanks for warning about the risks, although it doesn’t seem to be anything particularly serious or bad!

• CatUserOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It would sounds dumb but I didn’t know that I could donate to the Red Cross, I was thinking actually in nearby hospitals. Thanks for the suggestion.

• FumpyAer [any, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

I’m pretty sure the American Red Cross is uniquely bad and in most other countries their equivalent is much better. But do your own research for your specific country.

Btw many articles about the ARC use the terms “Red Cross” and “American Red Cross” interchangeably, but they are talking about the American Red Cross specifically.

• Parzivus [any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Donors are always in demand, it’s a good thing to do if you qualify and your body is healthy enough for it.
    Don’t feel obligated to do something taxing on yourself, but I’m sure whoever gets your blood will appreciate it.

• CatUserOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I have wanted to do it in the past but I never really do it, the only thing stopping me is having to make an appointment… But when I can I will do it.