Has this instance already blocked threads ? If not, is there any appetite for that ?

I suspect that this will be an important consideration for many users choice-of-instance in the future.

• Rolivers
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Honestly the less we have to do with Meta the better.

• nilloc
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

That is a very good article about what entrenched tech is going to try to do with open systems like these.

Reading about what MS did with the Docx specification sums big tech up pretty well.

• Thoralf Will
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Threads has not implemented Federation yet.

I do not really understand all the fuss and fear about Threads. Either the content is good, then we should be happy and federate. Or it’s bullshit/insults/racist/etc. crap - then we just block it.

• Tartas1995
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Federation with threads could help threads to become the “default” home instance for most users. Then meta could pull the plug at any moment as most new communities would also run on threads. Threads could be the good old “Embrace, extend, and extinguish”.

• Tartas1995
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Wait and see until when? Like i get that i am a little “extreme” in my take but meta has a history with similar behavior and when it is too late, it is too late. Do we wait until it is too late?

• joe
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

have you any idea what google did to XMPP a while back? read this if no

• Thoralf Will
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

In reality, Meta is not federating to pull the few people off the Fediverse. We are far too few to be of any relevance. Threads got twice the amount of users within a day. Soon they will dwarf the whole Fediverse even more.

The only reason why they announced to (and will) federate is to avoid anti trust problems. And that also means: If they pull the plug and defederate, they will immediately end up on investigation.

So, I rate this risk as very low.

• DogMuffinsOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Not everyone feels the same way though.

All opinions are valid, and we can all choose instances that align with our views, but for my part I won’t support an instance that federated with meta just on principle.

• GVasco
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Nice, but the discussion is in German, which I understand is one of the main languages of the instance but excludes those who don’t speak it.

• Fatcat560
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

A short TLDR I guess: Milan (the instance admin) wants to wait and see how the situation evolves and not block them in advance. Though if they moderate like Facebook does it might happen anyway.

Hope this clears up everything for you! Have a nice day or evening.

• GVasco
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Ty for the summary, and definitely agree that if Meta block instances because it doesn’t fit with their TOS then defederation should be considered then.

• Wen Astar
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The question was posed and therefore answered in German. I do not think any excluding was intended, and translation help like deepl usually is only an URL and a bit of copy/paste away.

Milan himself tries to keep Meta out of his life, but he does not think panicking without solid data is the way to go. He wants to keep an eye on how the situation evolves, and if Meta is practicing non-moderation like on facebook, he will not federate with them for that even before entertaining deeper ethical questions.

• DogMuffinsOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Even if we can just get the gist rather than a full translation.