• I remember the first night at my first job site as a security guard. I was at a warehouse for a chain store that hadn’t even begun operation yet while they finished up construction. I am posted by the rear “roll up door” because it’s just an opening with no door yet, and a fuckin’ pick up truck starts coming up the dirt (nothing was paved but the building foundation yet) hauls ass inside through it and parks outside the doors into the offices, which had the only stuff of value in the building.

I got on the radio as soon as I saw the truck and was like “wtf do I do?” And was told to “stop them.” Ok. How the fuck do I stop a truck? I had to sprint all the way to the other end of the building, yelling the whole time asking who he was and what he was doing. Asshole ignored me and goes into the offices. We guards don’t even have access to the offices, which were locked with keycards.

Supervisor finally gets there and chews me out for not stopping him, dude comes out in the middle and again tries to ignore everyone until the super got in his face and physically stopped him. Turned out he was one of the owners, and didn’t think he had to inform anyone he was going to be down there at 2 in the morning for something, and he was too high up on the food chain to speak to a lowly security guard. 🙄

I only stayed at that site another 2 weeks before I begged for a new position because the management at the store was big time ass and kept trying to micromanage us, despite being a 3rd party contractor and half the shit they requested was illegal. Among generally treating us like we weren’t human beings.

• Hang@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’ve also got a fun one like that from working security!

I was working the solo overnight shift during Christmas break at a factory & noticed a gift-wrapped cylinder sitting in one of the common areas. I picked it up to bring to the lost and found & decided to see if there was a name tag or something. Well, there wasn’t a nametag, but there were a few wires poking out that made me realize I was possibly holding a pipe-bomb.

I called 911 while freaking the fuck out and was told to stay calm and very still while they sent someone to save my sorry ass. After about 30 minutes the Michelin Man’s blue cousin strides in, asks me a few questions, & decides it would be safe enough to take the Christmas gift from hell outside to deal with.

While the bomb was being taken care of I took a few cops to the security room to download all of the footage from the past few days. Turns out the gift-wrapped grenade was juuuust out of the cameras view & there was no way to tell exactly when it had been left there.

• Not spooky weird or anything, but weird none the less. Last January I got COVID and had a pretty severe reaction that required two trips to the emergency room and lots of steroids and antihistamines. This happened over the holiday weekend and I let my boss know. Needless to say I missed work on Monday - Friday. I was written up for putting a burden on my coworkers that required them to pick up the slack.

That’s my weird thing. Never written up in 22 years of employment. I got written up for getting COVID.

• simple@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Used to work at a store and some of the weirdest things are pretty grim, but a funny one is when an older guy (~50 years old) barged in and kept shouting “I WANT CONDOOOOOMS” really loudly and then cackling to himself for a really long time. Everyone inside was so uncomfortable but looking back, I’m pretty happy for the guy.

• fubo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Could be worse. Instead, he could have sung it to the tune of “I Want Candy”.

• Frolicswithforts@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I was once haunted by an older man who was constantly exposing himself in the bathroom outside my office. I worked at a college, so it was odd to be flashed by anyone over 25—especially during the day. But this man was consistently at the urinal, facing outward, and shocked that someone else (I) would come in while he was doing whatever he was doing.

No one could ever tell me who he was, and it remains a mystery to this day.

Oh, and I had a client threaten to shoot me with an arrow. Still don’t get that one.

• Polydextrous@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

this man was consistently at the urinal, facing outward

…what? Like…ass in the urinal? Or just standing straight up, pants around the ankles, ass facing in/dick facing out, just waiting for someone to come in? I’m so confused

• LucasWaffyWaf@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

A man showed me his cock in front of his wife and kid while I was giving a tour.

Dude: Ey, wanna see my cock?

Before I get to reply he pulls his shorts leg up and shows off a rooster tattoo on his inner thigh.

Same guy also slapped my ass earlier during that tour.

• PolarBone@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Just started a job as a social media coordinator and informational officer for the community. Was taking pictures (WIDE pictures) of an event recently with permission of the event creator.

In the corner, an older lady selling purses was giving me a death stare. And after I circled around from talking to some folks, she yelled at me to come over to her booth. And she said “why did you just take my picture”, I explained why and said she wasnt even in the photo other than a leg.

She got cranky at me cause she thought I wanted to steal her purse designs for my own creations. I am 27 years old, a very straight male. She is a 70+ year old woman, shaking and fuming mad. I came back again after and had to show that she wasn’t in any pictures, and said I would blur anything out that she would possibly be in.

Well, I took a picture again for some people, and her business was in the background. So, I blurred it out of the image since she was getting cranky with me. Since she knew who I was uploading for, she went on later and saw the image I uploaded and then got mad at me for slightly blurring out the small part of the image she was in. Said she felt left out and wanted to be in the image. Then tried to tell me I should buy my girlfriend one of her $130 recycled purses.

I honestly hope I get more things like this happening, I love this kinda nonsense lol

EDIT: Another quick one, I worked as a electrician/labor worker for a year at a company, and one night we were working on a school and a drunk guy came driving through on a john deere tractor holding a big jug of beer. He managed to fit through the double doors we had open at midnight to move things in and out to our storage container, and drove it around the school hallways, and the security guard didnt know what to do and just let him drive around lmao. Guard was only like 19 years old and just sat on his phone, we talked to the guy driving and opened up the next doors and helped him out.

• thermal_shock@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Worked at geek squad doing insurance exchanges (accidental damage, etc). Guy brings in a laptop in pieces in a bag. Said there was a robbery in the metro and he beat the dude down with it. This was when they weighed 4-5 lbs easy, dvd drives and all. Was blood on some parts, told him to go pick out a new one, I’ll get paperwork going.

• HeyThisIsntTheYMCA@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

My work is boring. Weirdest thing was I had one of those poop marker poops where you yust wipe and the TP just doesn’t do the job so you go through half a roll. Still couldn’t talk the boss into letting me install a bidet after that one.