• kn33@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

When you’re actually using the app instead of having the compression artifacts of being screenshot several times, it’s not as bad.

• GustavoM@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

If someone does not take the least amount of effort to answer a simple question like that one … then he doesn’t care about you in the slightest.

“But its a generic question!”

Two words: common courtesy.

• CarbonatedPastaSauce@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

People (guys usually) also answer like this when they are trying to tell you exactly what you want to hear so that you’ll sleep with them. They feel like if they give any wrong answer early on, they’ve lost their chance. It’s a very manipulative mindset. He was like a deer in the headlights, not knowing if any answer he gave would be the right answer since he doesn’t know her at all yet. So he stalls, hoping she’ll drop it.

Or he might just be an idiot.

Either way, drop them and move on to somebody who will be real with you.

• GustavoM@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

In other words, playing games, i.e trying to “tick her funne bone” so he gets someone else to play instead of himself. But what most of those guys fail to acknowledge is that “tickling her funne bone” takes time – it’s not a “free pussy pass” of any sort that you “say it”, and she goes “WHOOAAA fuck me mister! Fuck me right NOW!”. That is not “acting tough” or smart, but acting like a douche.

• AFK BRB Chocolate@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeah, that was my thought as well. This is the type of person who is only going to say something of they think it will impress you. The second possibility is that they will share nothing of themselves, period. In either case, they don’t seem like good relationship material.

• Aesthesiaphilia@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

They feel like if they give any wrong answer early on, they’ve lost their chance.

To be fair, that’s usually correct. Women have their pick of men, generally. If a guy answers a band she doesn’t like, most likely she’ll move on.

So guys lie and tell her everything she wants to hear. And then once they get their foot in the door, they can start telling the truth.

This guy handled it very badly but I can see why he didn’t want to answer.

• FlihpFlorp@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Yeah I may not be a relationship expert but if I have to lie for an ice breaker not even a deep question just an ice breaker I don’t think that relation will work

• Cannacheques@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Nah it’s one of those things where some guys just prefer to talk about what they think matters to everyone, their job or financial conditions, music or other personal stuff might just be an extra on their minds

• Poob@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

So an idiot.

If someone asks you about your taste in music, then clearly music matters to them.

• FlashMobOfOne@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

It’s kind of nice when people reveal themselves to be insufferable douchebags at the outset rather than wasting your time.

• Rivalarrival@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

The last four songs I’ve listened to on YouTube are three pirate shanties and “We Know The Way” from the Moana soundtrack. I’m not answering this question either. :)

• TheMoose@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Honestly though that’s the exact kind of thing I would want to know- the real you, not the you that tell me you are.

• AaronStC@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This is so weird. The first response was somewhat acceptable if in a joking manner but then he quintuple downed.

• Eochaid@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Someone’s insecure about his Shakira collection.

Seriously though, I’m guessing this guy either doesn’t like music at all (I’ve known a few and they act like this) or got made fun of a lot for his music tastes in high school. It’s a shame this guy is probably a walking insecurity.

Which is a great reason to unmatch him and move on.

• cryshlee@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I didn’t even know it was humanly possible to not like music at all. What were they like? Like their personalities? Did they seem sociopathic or were they generally “normal”?

• chandz05@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I used to not like music at all and 15 year old me would have probably responded just like this guy. But for me it was more that I didn’t know what I liked until I heard it. Everyone around me exclusively listened to top 40 and RnB, or techno/house. I seriously thought there was something wrong with me cos I hated everything I heard. And then I heard metal for the first time, and everything changed.

• givesomefucks@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

We’re going to talk a lot about “normal” in this class, but “normal” just means average. If any one person was exactly “normal” in every aspect, they’d be the most unique human to ever live.

• my favorite bio-psych professor in college.
      • MuchPineapples@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Apparently my great grandmother didn’t like any music. And people in general. But of course this was in the gramophone era, so maybe she was just an audiophile and couldn’t stand the quality…

• sudo@lemmy.fmhy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

If it were the latter she could have still enjoyed live performances (assuming those people were good musicians playing in a good venue) but yeah sounds like she just didn’t like music. Which, to me, is crazy. When people say they don’t really listen to or don’t like music, I literally can’t even imagine what that’s like. There is so much diversity in music, especially now. Playing instruments has been a part of human history for at least 40,000 years and we’ve been singing as long as we’ve had vocal cords.

• foggy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I used to jokingly say “I don’t really listen to music” when people would open with that at college parties. The reactions were worthwhile.

I played guitar in a band.

• Syrc@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

“I don’t listen to music”

“…but you play guitar?”

“Yes. With very good earplugs.”

• BecomingTheFalcon@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

As a fellow guitar player in an active band; I also say this to people a lot lol. I love the looks some people give when they don’t know I’m joking.

• JudgeHolden@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

My father in law doesn’t like music. He doesn’t dislike it either, he’s just indifferent. Apart from that he’s just your garden variety somewhat-curmudgeonly 80-year-old dude.

• Rivalarrival@lemmy.today
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

When I’m listening to pirate shanties interspersed with songs from the Moana soundtrack, I’m not answering this question either.

• Eochaid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

There’s a lot of good examples in the comments, but the few Ive ran into were more indifferent thsn anything - like, they never heard anything that appealed to them. One guy I knew actively avoided music because it’d get stuck in his head and drive him nuts.

They seemed normal otherwise, for the most part. But they knew that disliking music was weird and were a little insecute about it.

• SolarNialamide@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

I don’t dislike music, but I do view it as something very situational. I only listen to music when I’m going somewhere by bike or foot or when I’m working out. I blame my 4 years of being a mail carrier for creating this 1 to 1 connection between moving and listening to music. I never put on music when I’m home. But I dislike ‘background’ anything in general. I’ve never in my life put on a movie, TV show or podcast as ‘something to listen to in the background’. That’s baffling to me. Music is the same I guess. If I’m home it’s automatically background because I’m not gonna sit om my couch and stare at a wall while I listen to music. While if I’m working out or going somewhere I can intentionally listen.

• fabio1@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

early shakira songs in spanish are the bomb though, look up her mtv unplugged album

• Eochaid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Oh absolutely, no shade on Shakira at all. Just using her as an example of something a guy might be insecure about - which is of course, stupid. Don’t be insecure about liking music, folks.

• ParsnipWitch@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah this is like the people who would answer “radio” back in the day, when asked what their favourite music was ._.

• Cannacheques@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I used to share my music taste quite openly but these days not so much. Sharing stuff just gives some people more ammo to shoot you with when they want to try hold shit over your head

• dustyData@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

You don’t have a music taste problem, you have a social circle problem. Those people aren’t your friends. Who, other than a kid in school, would willingly spend time with someone who “holds shit over your head”?

• meat_popsicle@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

Who, other than a kid in school, would willingly spend time with someone who “holds shit over your head”?

When that person is your parent. We don’t all get to choose nice and supporting families.

My mother would do that. I don’t tell her anything beyond how the weather is anymore.

• Nelots@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

What confuses me is why they chose to use white text there… surely the orange background is bright enough for black text to be far easier to read?

• GoosLife@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Yes, this is 100% black text material. Like it’s not even a question lol.

• ShlorpianMafia@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

“It’s something you’ve never heard of”

“How do you know?”

“…because I’m never going to tell you about it”

• Knightfall@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

You know… It’s seeing this type of stuff I’m so happy I found my wife the old fashioned way before dating apps existed.

• ShoePaste@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

seriously. I’d be doomed to die alone if i hadn’t met my wife in college. thank god my friends decided to set us up on a blind date because we had the same birthday and they thought it was funny

• PawjamaParty@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Same. Dating apps are hell and I’m way too introverted to go out and meet people. Been trying to put myself out there, got a job (everyone is either too young, couple are too old, and they’re already in a relationship anyway), I go to work events (last time a massive party where most people were from outside the company), but nah, still too scared to approach anyone and I guess I look unapproachable myself. Also the country I live in isn’t exactly the type where people would just chat to randos. So yeah… more cats it is, I guess…

• Marxine@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I found my spouse through a dating app, but we matched up really well since neither of us like this kind of shitty small talk.

If I were that lady I’d boot the hell outta that dude, such a prick.

• erici@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It can work. I used a dating website (pre smartphone) and I just put in a photo of myself sitting at my computer and a list of bands and movies I liked. My wife approved and asked me out on a date.