• bitsplease@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Yeah, let’s be honest - your average manual car driver chose that transmission for one reason - fun. And there’s really no reason it wouldn’t apply here. Manual transmissions have been “pointless” from a purely practical view for years, especially with autostick being a thing. But people like them because they’re fun to drive, and some people like being more involved with their driving experience.

Tldr; let people have their fun, it’s not like this is ever going to be standard - you’ll never be forced to buy one lol

• bigmclargehuge@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Maintenance/cost. New autos, especially CVTs, are no fun to work on, and if you need to replace one, you’ll be shelling out way more cash than if you had to replace a 5/6 speed. I agree that most people in NORTH AMERICA buy manuals for fun, but in many other places it’s a different story.

• Terevos@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

If modern cheap cars used good transmissions there’d be no need for manual. But man… I am still super annoyed by anything that isn’t A dual-clutch transmission.

I want power instantly.

The only way to get that is EV or manual transmission.

• JulyTheMonth@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

The traditional reason for a manual was fuel and oil efficiency which was kinda miserable when automatic transmissions came up. However this reason has been long turned around where automatics are certainly more efficient.

Even in europe manual usage is dwindling.