Inspired by tools like Grafana that I just discovered, what other cool open source tooling do you use?

• s1nistr4@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

LunarVim is great but I really think its better to make your own config and spend the initial investment of getting that set up.

You’ll understand the editor better and because of that can configure it to exactly how you want, and integrate things you regularly use into it (such as plugin features and bash functions) and also learn some Lua along the way

• Gyoza Power
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Always tried to try neovim but felt kinda overwhelmed since I was always a jetbrains/vscode kind of guy. Never knew there were pre-configured setups. I’ll give this one a try, thanks!

Edit: and I’ve just seen it supports Vue, fucking great

• state_electrician
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Honestly, you are better off by sticking with Jetbrains/Code and using their vim keybindings. If you really enjoy spending hours configuring vim to do what the others do out of the box, then go for it. Otherwise just use vim keybindings everywhere.

• onlinepersona@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I’ve been trying it but the LSP refuses to work. It’s supposed to be work out of the box, but it just doesn’t. It’s better than vim, but still distant from any IDE I’ve used. Feels like going back to the dark ages (vim is babylonian times and nano is stone age).

• it_a_me@literature.cafe
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

Primary code editor: helix

Graphical debugger and certain IDE features: vscodium

Lots of open source language servers: clangd, rust-analyzer, perl-navigator, …

Makefile to compile-comands.json: bear

TUI file manager: yazi

Better Grep:ripgrep

Debugger: gdb(gnu debugger)

• sping@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Still climbing that learning curve after decades now, and the payoffs keep building.

It’s a real programmers’ environment. One you code to grow and mold to your needs.

• amanneedsamaid@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

It really is amazing for programming. I gave VS Code(ium) a chance as I hadnt used it in a while, and it feels like a frustrating black box compared to Emacs.

My favorite feature is Emacs being entirely self documenting, it makes it SO much easier to troubleshoot issues, make refinements, or just understand what’s going on in your environment.

Orginally I used Doom Emacs, but, although being wonderful to work in, wasn’t as easily understandable to me. I recommend anyone wanting to start an vanilla Emacs config starts here.

Exemplary youtube playlist by System Crafters that makes creating your emacs config from scratch not only more palatable, but arguably trivial. (At least up to the point he goes in the series).

• Aurenkin@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Not exactly programming but recently discovered Logseq and I’m absolutely loving it. Been using it for work but I kinda want to start using it for personal stuff too.

• worldofgeese@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I use Logseq for everything. I’ve found the more you throw into it the more useful it becomes since your touch points are so frequent and that gets you thinking through and exploring your graph more. I’ve yet to use any of the data query features but I’ve heard they’re incredibly powerful.

Whiteboards are just a fantastic way for modeling a topic or themes you know you want to turn into a deliverable when the how is uncertain.

• glasgitarrewelt@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I think org-roam in emacs is the same? I now never work on something without copying everything into an org-file and commenting it. And I am so happy when I want to do something I have done before and just be able to follow along my own notes.

• callyral [he/they]@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

editor · neovim configured with fennel

shell · zshell

• plugin management · antidote

• plugins · belak/zsh-utils, olets/zsh-abbr, zsh-users/zsh-autosuggestions, etc.

build system · gnu make

os · voidlinux

not programming related, but i though i’d mention

link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

Now that I’ve finished the first draft of an article on setting up rootless Podman on Guix System, I’m using and building out a set of tools to support a new article covering an all Red Hat stack from inner loop to CI.

So far, it’s

• OpenShift for the platform services run on
    • Podman for my local container engine
    • Podman Compose for inner loop development
    • OpenShift Pipelines for CI
    • Shipwright for building container images locally with Buildah
    • Quay for image scanning and storage
    • OpenShift Serverless for scale-to-zero deployments
    • onlinepersona@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I wish podman or docker had an IPFS registry. When dockerhub or quay decide to be slow for whatever reason, then all you can do is sit and wait. With IPFS it would be possible to pull from multiple hosts and even mirror images.

• Pyro@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

I really want to like Podman Compose but since the very beginning it’s been noticeably tougher to work with than Docker Compose. I get that it’s because it’s just an extra script rather than a first party tool, but still.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

For something simple that just needs a bind mount like

services:
          app:
            build:
              context: .
              target: base
            volumes:
              - ./debaser_studio:/opt/app-root/src/debaser_studio/debaser_studio
            ports:
              - "3000:3000"
              - "8000:8000"
            user: default

I haven’t found any issues. Do you have more complex needs?