• milicent_bystandr@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I have in fact never had or seen this problem, and I’m quite bewildered by so many people having it. Do your normal windows updates do it? Or transition between major Windows versions? Or is it just a Win 11 problem?

I’ve pretty much always used a dual boot Win/Linux laptop, since around Vista, and I’m on 10 now (but only use it for a few games; all important things in Linux).

• Luccus@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I’m not sure how it is now, but when I was still dual booting I had the same problem until I got a separate drive for Linux instead of just using different partitions of the same drive.

• Flatfire@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Funny enough, I think the only time I’ve run into bootloader problems on a single drive, it ended up being Linux that broke my Windows boot. Typically Windows leaves my EFI partition well enough alone during updates.

• TopRamenBinLaden@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

Same here. I even updated to windows 11 and it kept the GRUB bootloader. Partition for both is on the same SSD. Somehow got lucky, I guess.

• ChewTiger@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I’m rather inexperienced with Linux, so between Windows and I, my computer’s bootloader is always messed up. I really need to figure out what I’m doing wrong.

• FlyingPiisami@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Usually people have issues with this when they don’t create the partition free space for the linux partition inside windows first

• milicent_bystandr@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

Ah, that could be it. It’s a long time since I used to resize Windows from Linux; now on a new laptop I always (…I think?!) resize from Windows to make space, unless it’s a friend’s laptop with extra D/E/etc partitions I can delete or resize one.

• RememberTheApollo_@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Ditto.

I’ve never had this issue either. I’ve had GRUB and other bootloader variants “lose” windows when setting up a dual-boot, but nothing wrecked the actual partition.

• Eufalconimorph
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I’ve never seen it with EFI. Used to happen with the old MBR disk format & BIOS, but with GPT disks and UEFI it leaves the ESP alone and the EFI picks the bootloader to use from that.

• icedterminal@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Do your normal windows updates do it?

They can. As Windows does updates it typically checks to make sure everything is working. This includes making sure it will boot after an update.

Or transition between major Windows versions?

If it’s not a feature enablement update, then yes it can happen. In place upgrades actually reinstall Windows. This includes boot.

Or is it just a Win 11 problem?

Happens with 8, 10 and 11. Since these are UEFI compatible.

The problem starts with how you install. If you do Windows first and then Linux when sharing an EFI partition, Windows doesn’t like this. A feature of Windows is PCR7. Since Secure Boot is a requirement now for Windows 11, this is more of a problem than it was. PCR7 binding happens when the entire boot chain has been authenticated using Microsoft’s CA. This can interfere with BitLocker automatic encryption for Home. If it’s already been enabled before you install Linux, you could lock yourself out of the Windows install if you don’t know where to retrieve your recovery key. People typically install Windows first and then Linux because majority of Linux installers are smart. They detect Windows and create an entry so as to preserve booting.

When an update or upgrade takes place and Windows does its checks, it may decide “I don’t like this EFI configuration” and then completely “repair” it. Not realising that it was that way on purpose.

The solution I’ve found is to manually create boot files for each, and then use rEFInd. Writing a manual configuration that simply loads the bootloaders on the Linux and Windows partition. That way neither are aware of the other.

• alliswell33 @lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

So I’m a recent Linux user (as I created a duelbooting system this week for the first time) and I did as you said in this comment and downloaded rEFInd. Is that all you have to do or is there more to the part “manually create boot files for each”? If so would you mind giving me a brief rundown on how to do the same?

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          5 months ago

I installed Windows and Linux via command line from their installers. I did Windows first, then Linux. Each OS has its own SSD (This is where I manually created boot files for each). I booted into Windows to complete the install then did the same for Linux. Once that was done, while still in Linux, I created an EFI partition on a shared data drive. I placed refind on that and configured it. With all of that complete, I boot into firmware settings and set refind as the default.

For this to work without issue, you need at least two drives. I have three to make it even easier.

If Windows and Linux share the same drive, set up a manual partition layout with two EFI partitions. You’ll end up with this:

EFI || EFI || WinRe || Windows || Linux

The first EFI partition is for Windows, and the second is for Linux. Complete the OS installs and use a second drive for a third EFI partition to set up refind. Again, configuring it and then setting it as the default.

• alliswell33 @lemmy.sdf.org
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

Thank you for the reply. This won’t work for me because I’m stuck duelbooting from a single SSD on a laptop. But maybe it can help someone else that stumbles on it.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 months ago

I’ve not tried it, but you can do three EFI partitions on the same drive. There’s no real limit to how many EFI partitions you can have. The key here is to keep Windows and Linux boot files separate at all times. If they share the same EFI, then Windows will undoubtedly break it at some point. Having refind as the default just makes it easier to choose which OS you want. Rather than relying on Windows Boot Manager or Grub. Of course to do all this you need to wipe the disk to set up the layout.