• _number8_@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

motherfucker you had a party with 10 people and a girl you liked made out with you [allegedly] how do you not have any friends?

• PP_GIRL_@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

A group of 10 people who you can all invite to the same event is a huge friend group though

• ma11en@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

How about they invited a couple of actual friends who brought acquaintances?

• blackstampede@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 months ago

Not OP but if you have a couple of actual friends who have friends of their own that are comfortable coming to a party at your house, then you have a standard sized adult friend group, I think. Seems like a few close friends, a dozen or so acquaintances, plus coworkers, plus family, is not an abnormally small social circle, to me.

• BigDanishGuy@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

10 people or so

I don’t have a lot of friends

My dude! Make up your mind, I can’t name more than 3 people, besides family, that I’d be willing to invite if I absolutely must.

• theangryseal@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

This actually did happen to me. We lived together for more than a decade and had a child together.

It didn’t end well. At all. Tragedy all the way around.

Doesn’t matter though. My life has been good and it’s better than ever now.

When that fell apart though, I was convinced the whole gig was over. There’s always something good around the corner though.

• PP_GIRL_@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Sorry to burst anon’s bubble but “we were friends but both had feelings for each other that we hid for years” almost never works out for more than a few months. You build up too perfect of an image of the person in your head and once it ends, you lose your friend too.

inb4 everyone replying about how it totally worked out for them

• SadSadSatellite@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I don’t know, that sounds like a made up gotcha rule from a pessimist leaving a movie theater. It’s been repeated forever, but based on nothing but the word of people in miserable relationships.

• Kushan@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Who gives a fuck if it works out or not. You’d be stupid not to at least try.

Most relationships don’t work out, regardless of how they were formed.

• JokeDeity@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

This. It’s worth it. Even if it ends you get a bunch of fun times in the moment. No one lives forever, and you don’t know when you might go, you might as well spend your life enjoying as much as you can from it.

• fibojoly@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

For real. Whatever the initial odds, in the end, if you want to keep it going, you gonna have to work for it.

• The Octonaut@mander.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

20 years going strong, 11 of them married.

A different friend did sexually assault me and ruin that, though. Let’s call it 50/50

• Obi@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

From what I’ve seen it’s all or nothing, they’ll either break up within months or get married.

• theangryseal@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

For me it worked out for about 15 years…

But damn, you got it just right on that one. The beginning was a struggle because of how much we had done just that. We were very close and we actually knew each other, but I guess we figured we’d be an exception to the rules about who we actually were.

It was a chaotic and bumpy road, and just when I felt like we had it all figured out, she went wild. Which, yeah, I knew that’s who she was. Again, she would make an exception for me because she really loved me, and I thought she had. Maybe she did, but just started getting older and realized that if she kept it up she’d get old and lose her chance to truly be herself forever.

In one of the last letters she wrote me during our chaotic years long breakup she said, “I feel more like myself than I have in years. I’m sorry that you had to get caught up in this.”

When I moved on she went crazy, like she was expecting me to sit back and wait for her to get it out of her system. She actually ended up being committed because of it. She lost it big time.

She was an extrovert and I was an introvert. She spent years of her life playing the introvert for me. She said I had the stronger personality so it was mine that won. It hurt me to hear it, but she was right.

Unfortunately, only two years after we split she was diagnosed with breast cancer and died 2 years post diagnosis. I’m raising our daughter without her.

Sad shit all the way around. But, I’ve moved on and I’m doing better than ever. Two little toddlers and an all around happy life.

• 768@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Friends usually know or learn some of their respective weakness over time, I think you mean infatuation instead of friendship.

• don@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

after your “inb4 everyone replying about how it totally worked out for them” comment

You aren’t bursting anon’s bubble, they don’t even know you exist. Also, your pessimistic assumption of how romance works for billions around the world is hardly a reflection of the reality of their respective situations.

Even if you somehow personally knew 10,000 people and what you suggest was true for every one of them, that still would apply to a nanoscopic 0.00025% of 4 billion people.