• db2@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

So Microsoft is mimicking Linux desktops and that means what to us?

• dan@upvote.au
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

The year of the Linux desktop was probably the year Microsoft introduced WSL. It’d be a non-trivial percentage of total Linux desktop users.

If you need to run both Windows and Linux for whatever reason, Windows with WSL is a better experience than Linux with WINE (or a Windows VM). WSL can run GUI apps now, too.

• embed_me@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

I still stand by the stance that dual booting is better. Especially if you care about smooth performance and don’t have the hardware capability to run a VM smoothly.

• dan@upvote.au
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

I use both at the same time though. For example, Visual Studio supports debugging via WSL, so I can test my code on both Windows and Linux on the same PC through the same debugger, by just selecting a different build config in the UI.

• Pantherina@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Until you get these updates. But for sure Linux works better on a bloated corporation OS that that shady thing on free Software. Its way easier

• woelkchen@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

I’m not congratulating anyone moving to an Ubuntu derivative. They count towards Canonical’s update server access stats, inflating the user count of a distributor who’s hostile towards openness with their Snap stuff even if the derivative doesn’t even use Snap.