Welcome to the Melbourne Community Daily Discussion Thread.

• CEOofmyhouse56@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

Have a look at this beast. It looks like a hearse.

My little one airbag car is beside it. How safe do you think I feel? And yes that’s my blurry finger. It’s hard to take quick pics in daylight.

• Nath@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I have driven around in a yank tank - but I was in the USA where the infrastructure caters to them. I have no idea why they’re legal here, nor why anyone buys them. They are impractical in the extreme on our roads. I really hope sales fizzle out and they slowly dissappear rather than our roads and parking spaces start getting bigger for these things.

• cuppaconcrete@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

It’s interesting that as we’re supposed to be trying to fix climate change Yank Tanks are more popular than ever. Truly the Lucky Country.

• SituationCake@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I don’t understand how having the ute tray up so high could be useful at all. Would need a ladder to load/unload it. Saw one the other day with a bike on an awkward angle in it, because the bike did not fit. How can a vehicle so huge not even fit a bike in the back. But they seem to be growing in popularity. And they are really expensive!

link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

It’s HOT TAKE THURSDAY and because I’ve been saving a few I’ll go first.

Secret Santa, Bad Santa, Kris Kringle whatever you want to call it, is just another form of gaslighting. Eg.

Soap do I smell?

Candle I said I liked one particular candle once

Chocolates an after thought. Nobody really knows me

Wine or other alcohol great everyone thinks I’m an alcoholic. Do I drink too much?

Organisers of kk we are one big happy family bullshit.

Also I had a great sleep last night. Just wanna rub that in.

• Nath@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

My work mug was given to me by a coworker. I don’t love the mug, but I love the coworker. So 3+ years later, even though we’re on different sites now and I only see him at company events, I still happily use this mug. He probably doesn’t even remember giving it to me.

• Rusty Raven @aussie.zoneM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I now abstain from these gift swaps after receiving way too many mugs. Apparently the only thing people know about me is that I drink coffee. And it has never occured to them that, as someone who drinks a lot of coffee, I already own a mug.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

But mine is better. See its brown and I know you like brown and it has flowers on it. I thought of you straight away as soon as i saw it.☕️

• Thornburywitch@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Perfume. Last minute Chemist Warehouse visit detected. Nobody remembered or cared enough to enquire what my tastes actually are.

• Duenan@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Recently was given a gold class cinema voucher.

I haven’t been the movies in 5 years or more.

They didn’t want to assume or stereo type me which would have resulted in a JB hifi voucher.

Would have been nice if they had asked as they actually just assumed in the end.

• bull⚡@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I organised my family’s KK this year. I got my brother in law. He put the exact bottle of whiskey he wanted on his wish list. I bought it. Job done.

My nan got me (I set up my nan’s login because she doesn’t have or do any internet, so getting me was the perfect outcome). I just told her to get me a Dan Murphy’s gift card. Bam. Easy.

It’s such a sterile process though lol Ask for what you want, get it. Not much thought goes into it unless you go outside the wishlist.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

It was more directed at the office kk. I’ve always worked for smaller companies so I know everyone but my husband has worked for larger companies where he’s pulled a name out of a hat and gone “who the fuck is that?”.

• TinyBreak@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Gotta make an Aldi run to get through Christmas. Yes, I left it late. Yes, I’m an idiot. Whats going to be quieter, Friday night or at some point over the weekend?

• Nath@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Ok, story time!

But a little bit of background first: Perth has that Melbourne doesn’t - Spud Shed.
      Perth has a chain of supermarket type stores called Spud Shed. Basically a rogue farmer got tired of being ripped off by the big stores and he started selling stuff himself. And it sorta got out of hand, he now has about 20 stores. They’re cheap - cheaper than Colesworth/Aldi. The catch is, the quality of produce can be hit or miss. Their smallgoods are fine, though. Best bit: Most of the stores are 24hour.

Ok, so its Christmas morning, we’ve all started turning up at Dad’s place. My sister has brought whatever she was bringing, and asked Dad “Where’s the ham?”. He either thought someone else was bringing the ham, or just plain forgot. So, 10am on Christmas morning, Dad goes to Spud Shed and buys a great ham that was in the process of being marked down. Because of course by December 25th, everyone had their hams. Total win by Dad.

So yeah: 11 days before Christmas is not leaving it late! 😂

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Go very early - as soon as they open. Slightly less bedlamic. If buying alcohol, note that the hours of sale are restricted on the weekends.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

My Aldi opens at 9 on the dot. Alcohol sales don’t start until 10 on weekdays and 10.30 on weekends. These hours are usually posted on the alcohol section, so check your Aldi’s hours on your next visit.

• Duenan@aussie.zone
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

Oh that’s good to know, I often shop on a weekend early in the morning to beat the rush.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Neither mate. You gotta go during the day but if I had to choose I’d go Friday night because Saturdays and Sundays are bedlam.

• SituationCake@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

Early in the morning or late at night, doesn’t matter which day. I’ve noticed supermarkets are always way quieter after about 8pm. Everybody has shopped for dinner and is at home, done for the day. And no, you’re not late.

• bull⚡@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

I have a reason for my resting furious face today. Just went to my car and noticed the absolute cunt who parks his piece of shit Audi next to my car has opened his car door into mine and dented it. It’s a tiny dent but on a brand new car I noticed it right away. He often keeps drums and other instruments in his car and he’s likely opened his rear door all the way to get some shit out and hit it. I always make sure I’m in the middle of my car space too, I’m really careful with how I park in that space. Just an absolute dumb fuck act from him and no note left or anything. I don’t even know what to do about it… do I get it fixed somehow? Or do I just have to live with the consequences of this fucks carelessness with a dent in my new car? Made me want to put a boot into his door but I have to park next to this asshole.

Urgh.

• Seagoon_@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I have Mr Seagoon’s Christmas sorted. Some very big glossy art books on Altamira and Lascaux. We haven’t found the time to visit so these books will have to do in the meantime.

Next b’day I’ll design and make a nice cable alpaca jumper and jacket . Fine wool and classic cuts.

link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I have been writing out labels for my freezer packages and my hand keeps cramping. I have no idea how I managed to handwrite everything when I was in school, I have completely lost the ability to write more than a couple of sentences at a time.

• mysticgreg@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I also had this problem writing cards this year! Was having to take a break between each one, and there weren’t even that many. Really shows how little we write these days.

Meanwhile my primary-school-teacher wife is looking at me shaking her head, wondering what my problem is :D

• bull⚡@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I think someone mentioned the Potato Gratis from Aldi and I was there earlier getting a Christmas Pudding so I grabbed some. I hope I got the right ones. I might try them tomorrow.

• melbaboutown@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

Flies wouldn’t gtfo out of my house and I can’t use flyspray so had to kill them manually. That’s the fastest I’ve moved in… a while.

I also swept a bit, did a wipedown, moved bags of litter, and emptied litterboxes so I’m going to be in pain tomorrow.

link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I ordered a turkey buffet, estimated size 3kg. Which is a bit big for me, about 2kg would be better, but a small amount extra for lunch meat is no big deal.

I just got the confirmed invoice with actual size on it - 4.37kg. I can’t remember whether the one I picked was frozen or fresh, but I’m really hoping for fresh so I can cut it in half.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

The buffet is just the chest/breast portion - no legs or wings I think and these are the usual failure points. As a solid lump its fairly easy to get right. I would still cut out the backbone and spatchcock the bird for ease of cooking/serving. Reduces cooking time too. Although a 4+ kg buffet is still 2-3 hours in the oven depending on the temperature used. There are probably instructions on the package.

• Dalek Thal@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Anyone got recommendations for an affordable dentist? Very concerned I may have developed periodontitis (as a 24 year old because I’ve not been able to afford dental care most of my life), and need a check-up and quote to deal with it

• Catfish@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

It’s even cheaper if you’re a student or related to a Uni Staff member. Appointments are generally available very quickly, though that might not apply at this end of the year.

• Llabyrinthine@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

As someone who’s been through this, and I understand the affordability aspect, but if you’ve been referred to a perio, please go to one. I, too went through a dental practice and spent almost as much there as I did at a perio, which is where I should have been referred to in the first place.

Get your teeth right. Bone/gum loss is irreversible and it will be one of the most important investments you’ll make. (I know that sounds a little harsh, but please know that it is well-intentioned.)

That said, you won’t know till you see a dentist. I’ve also been to the Melb Uni clinic and it is more affordable as far as dental practices go.

• Dalek Thal@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Absolutely fully understand mate, nothing harsh about the truth. To get a reference point around how much I need to save, how much did it end up costing you?

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

I think there was an initial consult that might have been $300. The main treatment was $1200 split into two visits and I just paid half each visit.

Please keep in mind that these are likely top end prices given that it’s in the CBD. You may find better pricing out of the CBD. I am also vigilant about my checkups so have returned with a bit more frequency.

You may find that you may fare really well with a good dental scale and clean. So don’t jump to any conclusions until you get the full picture.

My perio costs are not general dental costs so they don’t do teeth per se. Fillings etc. are done through your dentist. So like I said, just wait to see what it is. There are always options and payment plans and choice of who you want to go to.

• Dalek Thal@aussie.zone
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

Thanks mate, you’ve no idea how helpful that is. I’ll start making some phone calls and go from there

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 months ago

All the best! Dentists and related services are not pleasant, but once you start framing it as self-maintenance, you’ll never look back.

• Catfish@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Life’s little annoyances: splurging on really nice bread only to discover mucking great holes running through it

• Grackle@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Slept terribly last night 😭 I was still awake at 3.30am. Team Christmas dinner tonight and company Christmas party tomorrow night, I’ll be crawling to the weekend.

• Grackle@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I managed to skip out on both last year but unfortunately my attendance is required this year due to a promotion. I just want to sleep 😭

• Dalek Thal@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

God, I’m so glad it wasn’t just me. Didn’t sleep until 4:30, and was up for work at 6. It’s now 11 and I feel like I’ve already hit my limit, it was far too hot last night