• RampantParanoia2365@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

I just had a concrete floor cut for plumbing, and neither of the guys wore a mask or respirator which is insanely unhealthy. I have a feeling it was “not manly”.

Which makes that quite literal Toxic Masculinity.

• groupofcrows@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

I worked one summer at the same factory as my dad. One day I was operating a cutting machine and my dad came by because I wasn’t wearing any safety equipment. He suggested (not told) to wear the gear but I refused because no one else uses it. He said thats fine, it’s my choice but he suggested I walk around the factory floor and count how many workers had all their fingers. I put on the safety equipment. Later on while having lunch with the two other guys in our area I noticed both were missing fingers.

• corsicanguppy@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

I worked for less than a week at a cedar shake and shingles mill: it takes trees and cuts them into fat shingles.

I was promoted when the guy above me put the pneumatic splitter through his hand.

The guy above my new position near-missed with a band saw: it bit into his arm but only about a millimeter.

On day three a cut saw operator lost the last joint of three fingers.

I told the foreman I was leaving. He nodded in understanding.

• Coasting0942@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

He suggested (not told) to wear the gear

At what point would a smack to the head be warranted to prevent harm?

You dad did the right thing, but dang. I suggest you don’t make dance tik toks next to this active tree size buzz saw.

• Corroded@leminal.space
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

People I used to work with refused to wear gloves and eye protection when handling fuel because “that’s gay”.

They all have alligator hands now.

• NaoPb@eviltoast.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

I did not know fuel is bad for your hands. Though I only really might touch it while filling ny car up.

• Corroded@leminal.space
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

I don’t imagine you have to worry about it. It’s more of am issue for them because it was frequent excessive lengthy exposures. It wasn’t helped by the fact that they didn’t wash their hands a lot.

• QuinceDaPence@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          6 months ago

Occasional exposure isn’t going to do much. Some people even use kerosene (diesel) can be used to wash some things off your hands. But you want to avoid it when possible.

Another reason I hate the EPA “safety” gas can nozzles. Because I’ve never felt more safe than when I’m covered in gasoline.

• skyspydude1@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

Generally, I’m all for things that limit emissions and improve safety. I always thought they were a PITA, but couldn’t really be that much worse than the ones I see people use at the track usually.

I finally picked one up because it was all they had at the store, and holy shit those “safety tanks” are a nightmare by comparison. They spill so much fuel and after only a couple of years the seals on mine have gone bad and leak even more. I still would like to add a flame arrestor into the necks, but it amazes me at how awful they are.

I wholly understand why they exist and what all the safety features are for (preventing fuel from spilling if they’re tipped/dropped, releasing fuel vapors, etc) but they seem utterly useless when I inevitably spill at least half a cup of fuel per 5 gal, just due to how poorly they’re made.

• xkforce@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

Fuels are mostly hydrocarbons and those are hydrophobic and lipophilic. i.e they dissolve greasy/fatty things and your skin contains oils (which the fuel dissolves and thus strips out) and your cells are basically bags of water where the bag part (cell membrane) is made up of phospholipids (basically a type of fat) so that gets degraded too. None of that is good for your skin.

• CmdrShepard42@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

These are typically the big right wingers who later in life live in a constant state of rage because they’re crippled or disabled and blame the government or immigrants for the fact that they live on a $1200/mo disability check, can’t work, and have nothing to their name. At least that’s my personal experience.