Iowa will not participate this summer in a federal program that gives $40 per month to each child in a low-income family to help with food costs while school is out, state officials have announced.

The state has notified the U.S. Department of Agriculture that it will not participate in the 2024 Summer Electronic Benefits Transfer for Children — or Summer EBT — program, the state’s Department of Health and Human Services and Department of Education said in a Friday news release.

“Federal COVID-era cash benefit programs are not sustainable and don’t provide long-term solutions for the issues impacting children and families. An EBT card does nothing to promote nutrition at a time when childhood obesity has become an epidemic,” Iowa Republican Gov. Kim Reynolds said in the news release.

A bipartisan group of Nebraska lawmakers have urged the state to reconsider, saying Summer EBT would address the needs of vulnerable children and benefit the state economically, the Journal Star reported.

• Brkdncr@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Wait, did she just say some kids are too fat so they don’t want to feed any of them?

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

That’s how I read it too. I really hope not, but I’m also assuming this is a republican so probably.

• Feirdro@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

They literally believe that the gubmint is feeding poor children so much they’ve become obese.

Gah, i feel dirty when i see things from their pov.

• Son_of_dad@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

Republicans wanna keep kids nice and fit for Matt Gaetz and the other diddlers in their party.

• prole@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

They should sell it to Republicans in the state as a way to keep their employees fed without having to spend any more money.

Employees in this case, being the children in case nobody got that

• ersatz@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Haha, let’s force poor women to give birth to unwanted children, and then take away the tiny crumbs we’ve been giving them. Governor, you’re a genius!

This is a federal program. It costs them nothing. These people are fucked up monsters.

• Boddhisatva@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

That’s actually not the case. Per the linked article…

States that participate in the federal program are required to cover half of the administrative costs, which would cost an estimated $2.2 million in Iowa, the news release says.

Of course, that’s no excuse to turn this program down. Particularly since she also just announced that the state will “end Fiscal Year 2023 with a balance of $1.83 billion in the General Fund, $902 million in reserve funds and $2.74 billion in the Taxpayer Relief Fund.” $2.2 million is a drop in the bucket when it would benefit so many needy children.

• AeroLemming@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

So you mean any rich asshole could just feed every kid in Iowa for a fraction of a fraction of their wealth, but isn’t? Eat the fucking rich.

• Vent@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

$40 is not enough to feed a kid for an entire month, and it’s only for low-income kids, not all kids. And it’s only for the summer, not year-round. It’s a good thing and a no-brainer, but it’s not feeding every kid in the state. It’s not even completely feeding the kids it benefits.

• prole@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

This is a federal program. It costs them nothing

That’s really the most fucked up thing. These are always states that already take far more from the federal government than they provide in taxes, and they complain as if they’d be the ones paying for this shit.

As someone who’s in a state that gives far more to the US government in taxes than we take, I should have more of a say where that money goes, and I would prefer to continue giving aid to these children in Iowa. In fact, it should be more.

• Goferking0@ttrpg.network
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Her only claim of accomplishment is that the state has a huge surplus, which is simply due to her cutting just about everything simply so she can trigger tax cuts for the rich.

Not even the first federal money she’s rejected, when not misappropriating the federal money she has taken

• Rusticus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Meanwhile farmers in Iowa get the majority of their income off the fat teat of the US government. Go fuck yourself hypocrites.

• littlewonder@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Farming subsidies are insane in Iowa but because so much of the farming is owned by giant corporations instead of families, it’s just another way we move money from taxpayers to the wealthy.

It pisses me off to no end that rural Iowans go hard Republican. They listen to the pandering to “Iowa Farmers” from the right, despite only larping as farmers since they all sold their farms in the 70s and 80s.

Sorry, Tom the “farmer”, but living in a ranch house on .25 acres in a town of 200 people and wearing coveralls from 35 years ago, does not make you the beneficiary of Iowa farm money.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

An EBT card does nothing to promote nutrition at a time when childhood obesity has become an epidemic,”

Holy fuck… she’s literally saying that your kids should starve because other kids are fat.

• PsychedSy@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

It’s such a weird hill to die on, too. We pay, what, 15k/kid per year of education? 120 bucks is too much, though.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

They do this for so many things. The death penalty is far more expensive than life in prison, but they’d rather be cruel than save the money that they always say shouldn’t be spent.

• Maggoty@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            6 months ago

To be fair. It’s not like the appeals system works when SCOTUS denied one on the basis that we have to respect the jury, even after literally everyone involved in the trial said there was exculpatory evidence missing from the trial.

So it doesn’t matter how bad the trial was anymore. Any death sentence must stand under their reasoning.

• HighElfMage@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              6 months ago

SCOTUS, or at least Scalia, has also decided that innocence isn’t a compelling reason to be spared execution.

We should never let these vermin get away with calling themselves “pro-life.”

• lemmylommy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

Dear kid,

You will go hungry today because we will also let you starve tomorrow.

Also, you are fat.

Love, Republicans

• partial_accumen@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

“Federal COVID-era cash benefit programs are not sustainable and don’t provide long-term solutions for the issues impacting children and families."

“…so instead we the GOP are going to replace this unsustainable program with nothing making a future problem a problem of today!” /s

“An EBT card does nothing to promote nutrition at a time when childhood obesity has become an epidemic,” Iowa Republican Gov. Kim Reynolds said in the news release.”

“While yes, EBT card is useful to buy all kinds of healthy food such as fresh produce, staples such as beans and rice, as well as great protein choices such as chicken, pork or beef, you may not be aware that EBT card can also buy sugar! And, you may not be aware, its possible for someone to consume enough sugar to gain weight. Therefore the GOP solution is to remove the EBT card which grants access to this sugar (as well as all the other food). By doing this those children that are overweight will effectively be put on a starvation diet where their bodies will slowly first digest their body’s muscle and put their liver at risk by forcing ketosis. Those children that don’t happen to be overweight, and will suffer tremendously, should have thought about that before they let all their peers eat too much.” /s

• MotoAsh@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

I mean… do you need the /s when you’re just de-politicizing the language and not changing the message?

• lemmylommy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Can’t have kids eating sugar, they will get fat. Also, let’s give subsidize corn farming some more.

• NotMyOldRedditName@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

There’s a very good chance the kids that are overweight are overweight in part because the parents can’t afford better food as junk food is often cheaper. This could just worsen the problem.

• HonorIsDead@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

I love when this happens and they present no alternative. Choosing a losing option instead of accepting an imperfect effort. Try to improve it? No surely not. Throw it all away. If a social program helps someone I deem unworthy of aid it must be removed.

How small of a person.

• ferralcat@monyet.cc
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

Their entire party is built around making their constituents angry at other people. Earnst us trying to enrage people because she’s ameyeing a national positikn.

I think it’s time to just call them on it. Everyone believes in feeding kids. It’s not controversial. It’s the ethical right thing to do. There is no disagreement between parties here. She’s just doing this to try and stir up anger at "them/“others” because she thinks it will make a subset of people vote for her.

• qooqie@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

It’s really sad because I grew up poor and relied on food assistance at school for a reliable meal during the weekdays. If I had to not eat lunch most weeks I think my childhood would’ve been arguably a lot worse

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

it’s infuriating. And not “mildly” infuriating. this is full on, rage-inducing pisses me off. Fortunately, we’re going the way up here; funding more free lunches.

• Furedadmins@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

This is so fucking stupid, not only does this feed kids the money goes to local retailers but a huge chunk also buys Iowa food products. What the fuck is wrong with that idiot

• extant@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

They have never experienced poverty so they think it’s fine because if they were in that situation they would pull themselves up by their bootstraps or whatever delusional shit they come up with. To them it’s non-issue and everyone in poverty must be lazy.

• PugJesus@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

“God, I want to hurt children so much.” - Republicans

An EBT card does nothing to promote nutrition at a time when childhood obesity has become an epidemic,

Poor nutrition is when the poors have too much access to food. /s

She added, “If the Biden Administration and Congress want to make a real commitment to family well-being, they should invest in already existing programs and infrastructure at the state level and give us the flexibility to tailor them to our state’s needs.”

Read: “Give us money and let us cut taxes for our ultrawealthy donors yet again.”

• Clusterfck@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Wouldn’t “schools and their kitchens/cafeterias existing” count as existing programs and infrastructure?

• PugJesus@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

In theory, sure.

In practice, the GOP has made it a core issue to defund schools and remove free and subsidized lunches, so it’s unlikely that any money given to the governor’s administration would go towards anything of the sort.

• CileTheSane@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

“Federal COVID-era cash benefit programs are not sustainable and don’t provide long-term solutions for the issues impacting children and families. An EBT card does nothing to promote nutrition at a time when childhood obesity has become an epidemic,” Iowa Republican Gov. Kim Reynolds said in the news release.

Okay, so they have a better program they’re implementing instead to address those issues?

• Catma@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Well those kids are obese. Probably do them some good to drop a few pounds right?

Seems like a great way to campaign, “you’re kids are fat so i am goibg to starve them to make them healthy?”

• Semi-Hemi-Demigod@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Twelve million children are food insecure in the “Greatest Country on Earth™” and they want to cut spending to feed them.

• kautau@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

But it’s important that they keep being born, even if the pregnancy was a product of rape or the birth might kill the mother.