• grte@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    Ā·
    6 months ago

Dave Chappelle had the option to live a quiet, wealthy, incredibly comfortable life as essentially the lord of a small Ohio city. He would have been, at the very least, a name that comes up in greatest of all time comedian discussions. Instead he chose this. Dumbass.

• Squizzy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      Ā·
      6 months ago

Heā€™s a landlord looking to lock up that patch for himself, heā€™s not a humble farmer either heā€™s a cover to cover wanker.

• Neil@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      Ā·
      6 months ago

Rich people canā€™t shut the fuck up. Iā€™ve been learning that over the last few years.

• gardylou@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        Ā·
        6 months ago

Nor can they handle you thinking their opinions are shiity. You have to pay attention to them AND think their shitty takes are bold and nuanced thought.

• Optional@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    Ā·
    6 months ago

At the risk of saying something negative - no.

I watched the last one twice just to be sure there was subtext and it was pretty astounding the disconnect between article writers, commenters, and the actual comedy.

Did he say ā€œIā€™m team terfā€? He did. Yeah he did say that and that was fucked up. Agreed. (In whatever way context could be added, he was discussing the idea that one specific set of internal organs was currently capable of gestating a human. He said the terfs were saying that and he agreed with them on that point but he also discussed NCā€™s bathroom bill and talked at length about how itā€™s a bad law. He also defended trans rights at some length. But the ā€œDave hates transā€ article writers donā€™t include those points)

But the other 99.99% of the special was objectively pro-trans. Including ā€œAll trans people deserve love and respectā€. The main point is you canā€™t get what heā€™s doing from text. Standup has a bunch of moving parts: voice, inflection, setup, arc, theme, silliness, parody, jokes-within-jokes, and many other aspects that arenā€™t available in a text-only format like a comment or an article.

It seemed to me that he was making several really good points about being in a marginalized, oppressed minority, and the way the larger society talks about it. He used language to do that that wasnā€™t straight-on, direct, and clear because heā€™s a comedian who tells jokes and so his way of doing it is building an elaborate framework around a topic or topics, and by talking about them heā€™s getting across a larger message. Itā€™s densely layered discussion underneath simple stories. Heā€™s really good at it, fwiw, but thatā€™s often immediately ignored and intentionally misrepresented to light him up for whatever the author wants to project.

Iā€™m just saying if you watch his specials with an open mind, heā€™s not anti-trans at all. And whenever it gets down to it, the people accusing him of it havenā€™t understood his show; often they havenā€™t watched it at all.

Now Ricky Gervais? Fuck. That guyā€™s seriously anti-trans, ignorant and malicious, and putting Chappelle in with him is just wrong. Thank you for coming to my TEDx talk.

• 6daemonbag@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      Ā·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

Whatā€™s interesting is that I canā€™t even take this comment at face value, without further context. Is this a well-thought observation from the POV of a trans person who is intimately aware of their struggle in a broader context? Does this commenter understand the nature of comedy, or more specifically, Dave Chappelle, more deeply than I do? Can I add my opinion to this heated subject being a CIS male who is also a minority? Does any of the aforementioned even matter?

What I can say is that Iā€™ve liked certain parts of his comedy. When it hits itā€™s incredible. When it doesnā€™t I feel like Iā€™m watching 80s Eddie Murphy again.

While I believe that anyone and anything is fair game in comedy, I donā€™t believe that how heā€™s done it towards trans people has been in pursuit of comedy. In his previous specials it came across as shallow othering without the nuance that comes from actually seeing the subject as human. Thereā€™s no payoff.

It just reminds me of my upbringing where gay (and queer) bashing for the sake of itself was normal. At this point in my life Iā€™d rather continue distancing myself from that stuff than try to read between the lines.

Edit: to the OP, Iā€™m not attacking your observation or character.

• ersatz@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      Ā·
      6 months ago

And whenever it gets down to it, the people accusing him of it havenā€™t understood his show

How do you interpret this joke from his new show?

Letā€™s begin with the joke that got us going in ā€œThe Dreamer.ā€ The late Norm MacDonald, we are told, had invited Chappelle to the filming of the movie ā€œMan in the Moon,ā€ in which Jim Carrey played cryptic comedy icon Andy Kaufman. To Chappelleā€™s dismay, Carrey remained steadfastly in character while on set.

Chappelle sighs, ā€œI was very disappointed because I wanted to meet Jim Carrey and I had to pretend he was Andy Kaufman all afternoon. It was clearly Jim Carrey. I could look at him and clearly see it was Jim Carrey.ā€ Which brings us to the punchline: ā€œThatā€™s how trans people make me feel.ā€

Because the only way I can read it is that heā€™s saying trans people are inauthentic and fake, that they are pretending to be something they arenā€™t. But maybe we just arenā€™t as clever as you are and donā€™t understand it. Right? Or maybe you just donā€™t want to admit your favorite comic is a piece of shit.

• can@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        Ā·
        6 months ago

But maybe we just arenā€™t as clever as you are and donā€™t understand it. Right? Or maybe you just donā€™t want to admit your favorite comic is a piece of shit

So, to be clear, you never actually wanted anyone to try and explain their interpretation of the bit?

• DessertStorms@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      Ā·
      6 months ago

Imagine jumping to the defence of this guy šŸ¤ÆšŸ¤®

He then addressed the controversy surrounding his anti-trans material, saying, ā€œIf you guys came here to this show tonight thinking that Iā€™m going to make fun of those people again, youā€™ve come to the wrong show. Iā€™m not fucking with those people anymore. It wasnā€™t worth the trouble. I ainā€™t saying shit about them. Maybe three or four times tonight, but thatā€™s it. Iā€™m tired of talking about them. And you want to know why Iā€™m tired of talking about them? Because these people acted like I needed them to be funny. Well, thatā€™s ridiculous. I donā€™t need you. I got a whole new angle coming. You guys will never see this shit coming. I ainā€™t doing trans jokes no more.ā€
      He then said he was going to transition to joking about ā€œhandicappedā€ people instead because ā€œtheyā€™re not as organized as the gays. And I love punching down.ā€
      A few minutes later, Chappelle revisited the topic, saying, ā€œTo be honest with you, Iā€™ve been trying to repair my relationship with the transgender community cause I donā€™t want them to think that I donā€™t like them. You know how Iā€™ve been repairing it? I wrote a play. I did. Cause I know that gays love plays. Itā€™s a very sad play, but itā€™s moving. Itā€™s about a Black transgender woman whose pronoun is, sadly, n***a. Itā€™s a tear-jerker. At the end of the play she dies of loneliness cause white liberals donā€™t know how to speak to her. Itā€™s sad.ā€

• RGB3x3@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          Ā·
          edit-2
          6 months ago

This just comes off as whiny. ā€œIā€™m getting cancelled again by being given another special, boo hoo.ā€

And then uses literally the ā€œone jokeā€ conservatives have about pronouns. Thereā€™s nothing funny or creative about that joke. Itā€™s been told a billion times by conservative talking heads.

Thereā€™s an entire subreddit dedicated to it. r/onejoke

• Optional@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            Ā·
            6 months ago

I mean, ā€œshe died of lonliness because liberals canā€™t say the n wordā€ is pretty funny. And being offended about the pronoun joke but not the nword is also his point, I think.

• Dienervent@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          Ā·
          6 months ago

And heā€™s a fucking genius. Because, as far as I can tell, all of his trans jokes are really funny or nuanced. But his handicap jokes, some of them are just downright lame and insulting.

And everyoneā€™s coming after him for his trans jokes, not his handicap jokes.

You canā€™t punch down on transpeople, their propaganda reach is massive. People are AFRAID to say the littlest bit negative about them.

Thatā€™s why the handicap jokes. He wanted to show what actually happens when you punch down: nothing. No one gives a shit.

Anyway, thatā€™s my headcanon. Otherwise, some of these handicap jokes are completely inexcusable and donā€™t live up to the standard set by his trans jokes.

• Hackerman_uwu@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        Ā·
        6 months ago

Haha itā€™s actually pretty good!

I love punching down.

That is a great punchline. Heā€™s not saying that he - Dave Chapelle loves punching down. Heā€™s saying: ā€œI am a bigot said John.ā€

You need to grow up.

• Soulg@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        Ā·
        6 months ago

Youā€™re the exact person theyā€™re talking about when they say youā€™re completely ignoring all nuance just to be offended

• roflcoptah@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      Ā·
      6 months ago

Dave fell off. Iā€™ll always remember his older stuff fondly, but his ā€œcomebackā€ stuff is boring.

• BmeBenji@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      6 months ago

I think I agree*

*with a caveat. I watched his previous special as well to understand what people were saying. What Chappelle said in that special would not be problematic if said to a smaller audience. But a stand-up special to large audience, recorded to be put on Netlfix is not the stage to say where he said what he said: where it can be taken out of context easily and used in support of anti-trans arguments.

Maybe Iā€™ve been looking in the wrong places but I have not seen nearly enough discussion of the idea that itā€™s okay to say things that are iffy in confined spaces, especially for the sake of discussion. The relationship between gender and biology, and then the relationship between biology and society, and then the relationship between gender and society are extremely complex concepts around which open discussion should be not just allowed, but encouraged. However, that encouragement should be limited to conversations with a limited audience, not ones broadcast to an untold number of people. Broadcast messaging should not reinforce harmful stereotypes and echo negative statements about people, especially marginalized people.

• can@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      Ā·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

Well put, far better than if I had tried. I do wish he wasnā€™t using his platform this way but I canā€™t help but feel itā€™s misrepresented. I watched the first part of this special for context and a lot is lost just reading the plain text without his delivery.

If you think he shouldnā€™t be joking about it at all then that fine, but I think anything can be joked about and heā€™s trying way better than anyone else making jokes on the topic.

And I hesitated to express that because I truly to do think Iā€™m a good ally and I definitely want to be.

Edit: I understand Iā€™m not owed an explanation, but sometimes I do wish people would tell me why they downvoted. Iā€™m open to being wrong and learning from it.

• gardylou@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        Ā·
        6 months ago

Iā€™m not offended, and donā€™t care if he makes lowest common denominator trans jokes. I just donā€™t find the reactionary shtick to be funny.

• sin_free_for_00_days@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      Ā·
      6 months ago

I used to love Chappelle. These past couple years donā€™t offend me, they just bore the fuck out of me. Which is not what I look for in entertainment.

• Squizzy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        Ā·
        6 months ago

Iā€™m absolutely fine with trans jokes or dead baby jokes or literally anything, just make sure and not to forget the joke part

• kellyaster@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          Ā·
          6 months ago

Yeah, these arenā€™t even jokes, more like some weirdass gross power fantasy.

ā€œGod forbid I ever go to jail. But if I do, I hope itā€™s in California. Soon as the judge sentences me, Iā€™ll be like, ā€˜Before you sentence me, I want the court to know I identify as a woman. Send me to a womanā€™s jail.ā€™ As soon I get in there, you know what Iā€™mma be doing. ā€˜Give me your fruit cocktail, bitch, before I knock your motherfucking teeth out. Iā€™m a girl, just like you, bitch. Come here and suck this girl dick I got. Donā€™t make me explain myself. Iā€™m a girl.'ā€

I am trans, and itā€™s hard to not take the insults personally, especially since this ā€œedgy comedyā€ is coming from a comedian I used to admire and respect. What the fuck, Dave?

• TheFriar@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            Ā·
            edit-2
            6 months ago

I canā€™t believe thatā€™s a real joke he toldā€”thatā€™s not even a joke. I honestly havenā€™t watched any of his polemic ones because I just didnā€™t care to watch his standup anymore. When he lost his bright, loose energy he used to have during performances, I just wasnā€™t interested anymore. And now this is how far one of the previous greats has fallen?

• markr@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              Ā·
              6 months ago

Itā€™s a classic. Rape! Ha ha ha. Amirite? It takes true genius to think that up. /s.

I had no clue his act was that pathetic.

• oakey66@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            Ā·
            6 months ago

You have to be just the ultimate asshole to think this is funny. When he did the equivalent of ā€œmy best friend is transā€ qualifier on stage, the rabbit hole he went down became pretty obvious. Heā€™s so talented that he doesnā€™t have a single person who can give him feedback. I guarantee you heā€™s surrounded by yes men and other comedians who are too chicken shit to say anything. Money and power corrupt always.

• tegs_terry@feddit.uk
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            Ā·
            6 months ago

Itā€™s like a ricky gervais joke without the irony. What we have here is a guy with a grudge. He got cut; now heā€™s lashing out. Iā€™m pretty sure jo rowling did the same thing.

• RGB3x3@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            Ā·
            6 months ago

Thatā€™s just the recycled joke every conservative talking head has told. Itā€™s not even creative.

Same joke about bathrooms or sports. ā€œIā€™ll just tell them Iā€™m a woman, hurr durr.ā€

Get new material if youā€™re going to try to be edgy, Dave.

• Squizzy@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            Ā·
            6 months ago

Thatā€™s the type of joke someoneā€™s uncle would make in the bar after a few too many, or the one you think of and know better than to vocalize itā€¦ because it isnā€™t really funny.

• Elderos@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            Ā·
            6 months ago

Louis CK can jokes about pedos and yet it is hilarious and generally well-received. This joke gives strong ā€œI identify as an attack helicopterā€ energy. It is not funny, and heā€™s basically just repeating the shitty talking points of right-wing pundits, and without sarcasm. It is humour-by-applause, it is not meant to be a satirical joke, but to have people who agree applause and cheers.

• dylanmorgan@slrpnk.net
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          Ā·
          6 months ago

Iā€™ve thought for quite some time thereā€™s fertile ground for jokes about the trans experience, but they really need to be told by people who have lived that experience. There is something cosmically funny about being born into one body and feeling it is the wrong one.

• dylanmorgan@slrpnk.net
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              Ā·
              6 months ago

In general it takes a level of skill to tell a joke about a marginalized group without punching down that is exceptionally rare. For example, I can think of one or two male comedians who have told rape jokes that did not make rape victims the butt of the joke. If a trans person tells a joke about the trans experience and fucks it up, other trans people wonā€™t feel like a cis person is just adding to the atmosphere of hate toward them.

• moriquende@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                Ā·
                6 months ago

I think it definitely needs to be done tactfully and without hate, but joking about one another is an important part of being included and feeling like we all belong together.

• Holyhandgrenade@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                Ā·
                6 months ago

My philosophy of comedy is that you can joke about any tragedy you want, but make it absolutely fucking crystal clear that you are on the victimā€™s side. Plus, punching up is always funnier than punching down.

• The Picard Maneuver@startrek.website
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        Ā·
        6 months ago

Yeah, I gave his most recent specials a shot, but itā€™s mostly just him ranting about his various beefs, which isnā€™t good comedy.

Like, there are a handful of decent jokes, but the pacing sucks because he wants to air out all this dirty laundry in between.

• Elderos@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          Ā·
          6 months ago

First content I watched of him was a special on Netflix years ago, and I just couldnā€™t finish it. Nothing he said punched or was structured as a joke. It really felt he was just having boring discussions with himself.

• Squizzy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      Ā·
      6 months ago

Yeah the Chappelle show, then he came back convinced he was both special and a victim.

My grandfather this, rich people in a room that, being black in America is the same as going to war. He is a prick without nuance.

• protist@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    Ā·
    6 months ago

Remember Chappelleā€™s short standup after George Floyd was murdered where he was incredibly outraged and emotional? Now heā€™s aligning himself with people who think George Floyd deserved getting murdered. Chappelle is an ignorant tool

• MrSpArkle@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      Ā·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

Itā€™s incredible how being rich has separated him from the racial struggle he has highlighted throughout his career.

Like even if privately he thought trans people are a joke, old Chappellee mightā€™ve seen trans persecution for what it is: kindling for the fire to burn away the rights of other minorities. He mightā€™ve been an ally just for tactical purposes.

But he is rich now. He feels safe enough that invalidating the experience of other people would never lead to the invalidation of his own, and even if he does, he can escape with his wealth.

• TheFriar@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        Ā·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

Igniting racial flames is loved by the people in power. But itā€™s touching that class issue that transcends race where the problem lies. Because we far outnumber the rich. We forget that when weā€™re only looking at the skin color of everyone else in our class. Such a shame Dave became a tool for those fuckers when he became one of them.

• vxx@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          Ā·
          edit-2
          6 months ago

He was pointing out social issues and racism and its stereotypes .

Now heā€™s just denying the existence of a minority.

• 520@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      Ā·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

Let him. Let him find out that the far right have their own, stricter limitations on what they consider acceptable for comedy.

We donā€™t have to forgive him for mocking trans people after heā€™s fucked around and found out.

• ArbiterXero@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        Ā·
        6 months ago

Heā€™s in for a hell of a surprise, because he thinks heā€™s in the club.

And I say that with the most love and someone thatā€™s watched all but the latest special.

• Sgt_choke_n_stroke@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    Ā·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

I saw it, first 30 minutes are lazy jokes about trans people and disabled people in wheel chairs.

The ending story is about being a dreamer and how life can change you. Mainly in the style of a TED talk, then doing a flip calling lil nas X super gay dreamer joke.

Curtain closes.

Thatā€™s the special. Saved you an hour.

• fsxylo@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      Ā·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

I havenā€™t watched any comedianā€™s special in 5 years because even then they were shitty bad take ted talks. Good to see that hasnā€™t changed.

• stevedidWHAT@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    Ā·
    6 months ago

You know, they always say the loudest people have the most to hide.

Take a look at Alex Jones lmfao.

• wellee@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    Ā·
    6 months ago

Ugh, I discontinued/stopped supporting Netflix when they first started releasing this kind of rhetoric. Sad to see I made the right call :(

• gardylou@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      Ā·
      6 months ago

Yup, hoopleheads will be a faithful and well paying fan base as long as you keep hitting the classics over and over.

• Coreidan@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    Ā·
    6 months ago

This dude is lame. None of this stuff offends me. Itā€™s not like I havenā€™t heard these types of jokes before. Itā€™s just unimaginative. Itā€™s like heā€™s trying to take the easy route trying to pick off low hanging fruit, but the issue is the jokes arenā€™t even funny. Itā€™s just lame.

His problem is he isnā€™t putting any effort into his comedy. He reminds me of the dumb kid in class who is desperate for attention so they spout off dumb shit in attempt to gain a few laughs, but it instead just comes off as idiotic instead of genuinely funny.

• theodewere@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    Ā·
    6 months ago

all cowards love punching downā€¦ itā€™s what they live forā€¦ their hands go all clammy when they see someone biggerā€¦ so they try their best to ingratiate themselves to the big, scary peopleā€¦ lick their boots, that kind of thingā€¦

• theodewere@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        Ā·
        6 months ago

satirists punch at powerful people all the timeā€¦ the powerful people generally think satirists are all assholesā€¦

• tegs_terry@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          Ā·
          6 months ago

You mean individuals or corporate entities or political parties? Satire in that regard is weaponised, it doesnā€™t - or shouldnā€™t - go for all comedy, where ā€˜punchingā€™ isnā€™t the goal. Unlike this thing which is just a big ā€˜fuck offā€™ dressed up as a stand-up show.

• dingdongitsabear@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    Ā·
    6 months ago

I get what heā€™s doing. from his perspective, itā€™s like as long as the public (three dudes with a shitter account) is pearl-clutching over something Iā€™ve said as a hyperbole, Iā€™ll keep banging this drum and upping the volume and Iā€™ll keep doing it in every special. problem one is, heā€™s grown tone-deaf and canā€™t connect to normal people no more.

problemo dos is, his standup is shit and has been for years. from the fucking faked raspy voice then the cigarette on stage because he totally canā€™t make it without one, like dude youā€™re so rebel! to the the faked ā€œOMG I collapsed laughing at my own shitā€ and then audibly banging the mic so it accentuates the non-existing punch line every couple minutes, itā€™s super annoying.

like CK jokes about equally deranged topics, but the craft is there and itā€™s flawless. every movement, every breath, every stutter is in the service of deliveryā€¦ billy removed-tits as well, canā€™t agree with much of the stuff heā€™s on about, since he portrays a super exaggerated persona, but the craft is flawless.

this dude better get off his lazy ass and start practicing in front of live audiences and start embracing the sucking and bombing if he ever wants to be considered great. only then can we start dissecting the ā€œjokesā€.

• DessertStorms@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    Ā·
    6 months ago

Imagine being such a greedy and wilfully ignorant motherfucker that you donā€™t only, as a member of a marginalised group, openly punch down at other marginalised people, but going full mask off and admitting that youā€™ll be targeting the next group because weā€™re even more vulnerable.

What a pathetic bootlicking shitstain.

• the_q@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    Ā·
    6 months ago

Of course heā€™s gonna keep doing it, it keeps his big, egotistic head in the news. Without being an irredeemable fuck heā€™d fade away.