• wsweg@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

There is a reason. When you grow up with people around you using imperial units to describe things, you think in terms of it. If you tell me 10 ft., I can picture that in my head, I have an idea of how much that is in real terms. If you tell me 10m, I have no mental idea of how much that is, even if I can convert it. It’s like a language you grow up speaking, versus one you learn later in life.

I do think metric the sole system used in schools, to be honest.

• abbotsbury@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

That’s true, but it’s also a double edged sword: you can easily learn metric just by switching to it.

Try setting a weather widget on your phone to only show you Celsius and don’t convert it to Fahrenheit, over time you will get an intuitive understanding of what feels cold to you.

The biggest block to learning a new system is insulating yourself with conversions IMO, imagine trying to learn a new language by just having everyone speak into Google translate

• trafficnab@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

I’m fluent in metric but I can’t think in anything but imperial, I’m merely converting in my head on the fly

• GreyEyedGhost@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

Yep, that’s my life, pretty much. OTOH, my kids don’t have to live under the curse of arbitrary units of measurement and only have a vague idea of what a foot is.

• wsweg@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

That’s a good idea that I think I will try out. To be honest, I have a pretty hard time visualizing distance, even with imperial, so sadly I don’t think that help will help me in that area.

• MrScottyTay@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

The good thing with metric though is it’s easier to visualise other measurements once you know one of them, cause you just know that each other measurement is just a multiple or division of the one you know. Like if you know roughly how long a centimetre is then you can take a good estimate of how long a meter is knowing that it’s 100cm

• wsweg@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

I mean, yeah, I’m not arguing that imperial is a better system. Metric is superior, absolutely. I’m just arguing against the statement that there’s no reason to use it.

• MrScottyTay@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

It was much more mixed when i was in primary school but by the time I left secondary school it was fully metric. It might’ve fully changed before I noticed though just cause I was little and parents and grandparents would still be using imperial. I do remember having to learn imperial in school though.

• SkippingRelax@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

While I don’t disagree with that, that’s just a convention. Metric is inherently superior, solves issues that other systems have and is used by, well basically the whole world.

• mcmoor@bookwormstory.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

Counterpoint: most imperial units use only one syllable. It’s a mistake that we let scientists name things.

• 5redie8@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

Please explain to me why I should use metric when:

• My car uses imperial
      • the weather channels use imperial
      • the news networks use imperial
      • My entire country, which takes up about half a continent, ALL JUST USES IMPERIAL

???