Star Wars was the first fictional universe that I ever fell deeply into. It opened up a door to all other fictional universes, but no other fiction ever imprinted so deeply on me.

As a kid I absorbed everything Star Wars. The original trilogy were essentially a holy canon, and below them were all the books, comics, games, action figures, and everything else that was created out of them.

Even when I was a kid, and increasingly with age there are parts of the Star Wars EU I recognize as bad. I realized it was okay to not like certain parts of the universe, and even to head canon away or fudge events when thinking about Star Wars. My own personal enjoyment comes from focusing on what I like; I’m enjoying the way the universe opens my imagination rather than being slavish to what a legal owner of an imaginary universe declares. I also don’t subscribe to the strange notion that a “better fan” likes more of a fictional universe’s content by volume. If you’ve never encountered such an argument about Star Wars or another fictional universe, I assure you it gets made. It is silly. A person can like one movie from the whole original trilogy as the only piece of Star Wars media and still be a deep fan, they are just very niche in what they like.

This brings me to my real topic: The Disney era, the mass negativity, the infighting. It’s, frankly, exhausting.

I rarely dwell on extended wholesale negativity regarding Star Wars. To be clear, I really, really don’t like the sequel trilogy or its effect on the universe. This is one of the very few times I even bring those feelings up, because to me as a Star Wars fan I’d rather spend the time and energy talking about what I like about the universe than endlessly commiserating with other dejected fans or getting into debates with fans who like what I don’t like.

There’s no wrong way to appreciate a fictional universe, but there is a wrong way to engage as a fan. That wrong way is nonstop criticism and argument while never highlighting what you like. If you’re a fan, show other people what made you a fan. It has a better chance at elevating your tastes in the group consciousness compared to just making critiques that have likely already been made to death.

I prefer the old EU to most of the new Disney stuff, that’s no secret, but I can still appreciate something made by Disney without betraying some imaginary tribe of the fandom I’m supposed to belong to. Even as simple as concept art that I like which ended up in a movie or show I disliked, my first reaction is always to appreciate how good the art is, and let it grab my imagination.

The old EU has been officially ended. That’s sad for a fan like me. However there is over 30 years of backlog in that EU and even an obsessed fan like me hasn’t seen all of it. There’s a lot of Star Wars to go through, not even counting the bright spots I find in the modern canon.

That’s it really. Just, if you like a fictional universe, show people what you liked and give that a chance to grow. As a fan, I like talking about liking Star Wars, not talking about how I hate Star Wars.

• skeezix@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

It’s important not to speak about the star wars universe as a monolithic detached entity that formed itself. It has been and is comprised of the contributions of many writers. It is possible to love the universe but object to some of the contributions to it, as long you bring it back to the writers. So instead of saying “the sequels suck”, say, “JJ Abrams contributed to fucking up post OT canon beyond repair”. Fans complaining about the star wars universe now being fucked up beyond repair are a good thing because it shows how much they love the universe and how much potential it had before the writers fucked it up beyond repair. In short, complaints mean they care. The more people that openly complain about star wars being fucked up beyond repair the more that studios may be compelled into hiring better writers that wont fuck up our beloved universes beyond repair.

• TallonMetroid@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

To add on to this, having people complain, while not good exactly, is a state that can be worked with. It means that the engagement is still there. Like, to put this in the context of D+, it means that people are still watching the shows to know what to complain about. You won’t see me complaining about Star Wars anymore, for instance, because I stopped caring at all after TLJ. There’s so much other stuff out there that I don’t see any point in signing up for D+ to watch Star Wars, and ultimately that hurts Disney more than me continuing to watch while bitching about it.

• BigilusDickilus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

Yep. A wildly unrealistic part of me was hoping that they were setting up a branch to split the timeline away from the sequels or just ignore then with the series. As that become pretty clearly incorrect with the most recent season of Mando and I presume Ashoka I just stopped watching. I am not really interested in seeing them try and make sense of the stupid stupid lazy premise of TFA and I don’t want to see my childhood heros fail and give up. I will watch season 2 of andor because the first was awesome, but I am basically done with the franchise now.

• scops@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

I appreciate this take. There will always be a part of me that wishes they’d just recast the big three and start adapting from the Heir tothe Empire forward (live action Mara Jade please!) but I can still enjoy Luke popping up in Mando and wrecking everything in sight. I just wish they hadn’t sacrificed his arc to “better” Rey and Kylo’s. It’s pretty much forced Disney to either keep pushing in new directions (which I’ll settle for in lieu of EU adaptations) or add story beats to a character we already know is doomed. Like playing Morrowind after murdering a story NPC.

• ĐƗǤƗŦΔŁ Ǥ€ΜƗŇƗ@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

I think every Star Wars fan should feel comfortable and empowered to create whether head cannon they want for this rich universe. Don’t let other people or corporations dictate what exists or has value. It’s ok to like and dislike different things and the same things.

• Ketram@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

I think you should enjoy what you enjoy, OP. If it makes you happy you should try to get what you can from it.

I was a lot like young you when I was younger, I really liked Star wars and it was part of my personality. I read plenty of EU books and enjoyed them. When Disney took over, I had some hope, but I wasn’t a child anymore.

When they seemed to put out dumpster fire after dumpster fire, I decided that they only way to avoid being just another corporate sucker was to simply take my money elsewhere. Stop caring about the series entirely. And it honestly made me way happier, because I personally hate the idea of contributing monetarily to most of the things that I think are terrible, universe rending ideas more than I hate losing what I love. And I feel that removing that part of myself helped me to mature to other things (not saying that’s true of everyone).

I will still probably go back and read some of the old EU books again. I will go back and play KOTOR 2 again. But I don’t think I can ever enjoy a Disney era star wars piece of content and that’s fine, because I usually choose not to even speak about them at all or view them if possible, to avoid giving money for it, since it’s the only way for your voice to be heard.

You should enjoy what you enjoy, OP. But I think a lot of people see it as corporate enshittification of the entire franchise and the only way to win is not to pay/play.

P.S. I agree I am tired of seeing people shit on it endlessly, only because it proves that they can’t let go of something they now hate and move on. They’re angry that Disney took away a part of themselves but not angry enough to change their ways. It’s disappointing but a lot of people are like that.

• I_Am_Jacks_____@lemmings.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Me too! You know what, too? Last year I decided to rewatch all 9 movies again. I can’t remember if I did release order or timeline order. But I watched all nine ending with what I had been dreading: the sequel trilogy. And you know what, I enjoyed all nine. I did not like The Last Jedi when I first saw it. And hated The Rise of Skywalker. But on rewatch, they were good. I thoroughly enjoyed them. In fact, I even enjoyed The Phantom Menace and The Attack of the Clones this time too.

After finishing the movies, I was happy. I think the biggest problem most people have with movie “universes” these days is that if the movie goes in a drastically different direction than the watch expected, they get angry. But when I rewatched, I tried to go in with an open mind. And was pleasantly surprised.

I also enjoyed Kenobi, The Mandolorian, Andor, and even Boba Fett. I especially liked Ahsoka (Thrawn, baby!).

I just finished reading all of The High Republic novels through the end of 2023. I’ve really enjoyed those too. It’s great to get back to the Star Wars Universe.

• jballs@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

That just reminded me that I’ve been putting off watching Asoka. I’ll have to check it out.

• Blaze
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

The postlogy is lacking coherence

• Reygle@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

“I like the original trilogy” I approve

“I like modern Star Wars Trek <- LOL AND the prequels” It’s okay to be wrong