• unalivejoy@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Meanwhile on Windows: “That’s just my antivirus. Yeah… I won’t be very productive for the next 20 minutes.”

It’s a real problem. I think there’s a Firefox bug where Firefox will freeze while checking for updates while the CPU is under heavy load.

• grue@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

It’s fucked-up that Firefox even checks for updates itself (instead of letting the package manager do it) in the first place. It wouldn’t have the bug if it didn’t have the unnecessary functionality.

• HopFlop
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Just invent a physical package manager where you get all your software packages in the mail every week :D

• johnassel
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Interesting. On which distro? I don’t have this problem on Fedora. Here the update check is disabled by default.

• grue@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

In context, my comment was really more about dunking on Windows for not having proper package management. Firefox only “needs” that feature because it’s working around Windows’ deficiencies.

• Octopus1348@lemy.lol
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

I’m pretty sure it’s disabled on the M$ Store version.

Also, on macOS it’s so annoying that literally every app checks for (and even wants to install) updates while I have the Brew package manager installed.

• spaduf@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Any chance this could be disabled? I’m realizing I may run into this problem quite a bit

• Raccoonn@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I can make Firefox use way too much resources simply by visiting an Instagram profile & opening the toolbox on a few posts to inspect the code…

• SzethFriendOfNimi@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Finding: It’s our new intrusion detection software deployed across the enterprise that reads every byte read or written to disk and memory.

Check for updates and maybe, just maybe, the vendor, fickle gods that they are, will release an update that doesn’t mistakenly triple scan everything.

• GluWu@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

That moment when you hear the fans slowing down, realize they shouldn’t have been running high, and you have no idea how long they were. I’m hardware, not software, so I just assume my robot master has artificial constipation.

• Mubelotix@jlai.lu
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

A testing lemmy instance with no users just did that for 24 hours before I turned it off. The fans woke me during the night

• marcos@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Last time I got a scare like that, it was the monitoring agent that had some code with a performance that depended o the number it measured.

• renzev@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

Debian, at some point, had updatedb scheduled as a cronjob by default. Nearly shit my pants thinking I was hacked when it started up on my computer out of the blue haha.