Called it. Elon’s doing exactly what I thought he would do: https://aus.social/@ajsadauskas/109979152813584947

Twitter is dead.

There is no point in trying to hold on to what Twitter used to be. What Twitter used to be no longer exists.

It died the moment Elon walked in the building.

Anything posted there since then has been free content on his everything app and potential crypto scam, X: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/jul/23/twitter-elon-musk-says-he-wants-to-change-companys-bird-logo

#Twitter #Elon #ElonMusk #Fediverse @technology

• dropte_eth@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I like the idea they think they can make an everything app when as a text app it’s so utterly broken

• shinjiikarus@mylem.eu
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I cannot understand this either: we have an everything app, it’s called our homescreen, why would you use that to launch another one?

• Butters@lemmywinks.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

I suppose maybe it’s nice if you want all of your accounts linked or integrated. So it’s easier for the CCP to track you?

• n8vos@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Everything apps are really popular and profitable in Asia.

Not that I want one though.

• dropte_eth@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

So many ways:

• frequent outages
        • spaces drop out frequently
        • blue membership gives credibility to fraudsters
        • I haven’t been able to reply on mobile for the last 2 weeks
        • blue features just stopped working a few weeks ago and nothings happened (dark mode, custom icons)
        • analytics are inaccurate and have large gaps
        • it’s awash with bots
        • algo works against ux
        • bigkix@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Legit points. Although the fourth one might be just your problem, for me it works normally.

• dropte_eth@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Yeah maybe - I imagine the tech debt is hard to manage when you fire 80% of your staff.

I’m on the latest version of the app and latest iOS version so I suspect I’m not alone

• Elw@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

His utter lack of understanding about how SAaS companies work is astounding. Having worked on the backend of several, they’re all hot garbage and brittle. That’s why there were so many “useless” engineers. You know, the ones he shit canned when he acquired the company? Surprise, they were probably the only reason the dumpster fire wasn’t burning down the whole city block. The thing Elon fails to understand is that someone didn’t just write Twitter on one go and gift it on to the world. It has evolved over many many years. Technology stacks change, frameworks change, standards change and these companies are trying to continually add features to applications and don’t have the luxury of just rewriting the whole stack every time something new comes out. The end result is something that is often more akin to a living organism than a website or application. He probably thinks Twitter is some program running on every server that can just be rewritten and replaced. I can’t wait for the day they try to replace it and it ends up setting Twitter back a decade.

• tangentism@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

The thing Elon fails to understand is that someone didn’t just write Twitter on one go and gift it on to the world.

He did actually say at once point about scraping all the code base & starting from scratch!

• Deestan@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Software Developer pro tip: Never ever get involved in any effort to rebuild the old system in new tech.

Make a new, smaller system to take new market instead of the old system? Good.

Suffer for years through an endlessly growing checklist of things that must be in this new thing because they were in the old thing? Arguing with sales whether you have to again rush out a fix for a customer that is important and absolutely depend on this integration with Microsoft Bob that nobody in the dev team even knew existed in the old system until the customer complained? Have release schedules set years in advance and constantly pushed because this thing will never ever ever be accepted as a replacement of the old system? Bad.

• FrostyCaveman@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I hope the everything app is a big fuckin waste of money and massive failure. Everything apps are an affront to competition and the spirit of the free market, which in turn means they’re terrible for consumers.

Not that the US even seems that interested in competition anymore. We need to demand breakups of monopolies, not cement new ones.

• lloram239@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Everything apps are an affront to competition and the spirit of the free market

Kind of true, but also exactly what every big companies wants to have. Apple is doing the same thing in their ecosystem and so is Google in theirs, and Meta and Amazon have their on little versions of that too. That’s really the biggest problem here, Apple and Google already own the smartphone. So it’s difficult for a third party App to come in and do significant stuff, as Apple and Google can just reimplement their own version and have their App installed by default, while making life extra hard for third party Apps by breaking APIs or kicking them out of the store. See Apple and their stance on third party Web browser, they are simply not allowed in the store. Or see Meta’s VR effort, which exist for no other reason than them not being able to make significant impact in the smartphone world, so they bet the farm on VR or AR being the next big thing after smartphones, that they still have a chance of owning.

• FIash Mob #5678@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Yup.

This is why I jumped ship to Mastodon in October 2022 when he pulled that moronic stunt with the sink. Elon no longer cares about being seen as a visionary. He’s an out-and-proud chad.

• NaoPb@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Time for me to jump ship too. I’ve just realized that I was mainly on twitter just to follow one person, and they have jumped ship already.

• dm_me_ur_cock@lemmynsfw.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I hope he invests every last dime he has in his “everything” app. Once it goes down in flames and he’s broke, we might stop seeing his name everyday.

• tangentism@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

The vast majority of his wealth is wrapped up in stock of a massively overvalued car company and the loans he needed to buy twitter have huge interest payments and he doesn’t have the cash to pay them

• DrManhattan@lemmy.design
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

We’ve known about the X everything app for months now. Elon hasn’t been hiding the fact that he wants to compete with all major forms of social media. Twitter’s acquisition was only the first step. Soon it will be YouTube and Twitch competition, then Instagram, etc.

• jmcs
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

The guy can’t even run a microblogging platform.

• Butters@lemmywinks.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

If he were smart he would use all of these free distributed open source social platforms and protocols, and just build a front end on top of that. Front end ui and even his own APIs that just delegate calls.

• Serpardum@lemmyonline.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Well, who are you? (Who are you? Who, who, who, who?) I really want to know (Who are you? Who, who, who, who?) Tell me who are you? (Who are you? Who, who, who, who?) Because I really want to know (Who are you? Who, who, who, who?)

• Deestan@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I’m a bitch, I’m a lover, I’m a child, I’m a mother. I’m a sinner, I’m a saint, I do not feel ashamed. I’m your hell, I’m your dream, I’m nothing in between. You know you wouldn’t want it any other way.

• mxcory@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Annie, are you okay? So, Annie, are you okay? Are you okay, Annie? Annie, are you okay? So, Annie, are you okay? Are you okay, Annie? Annie, are you okay? So, Annie, are you okay? Are you okay, Annie? Annie, are you okay? So, Annie, are you okay? Are you okay, Annie?

• snowbell@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I never used twitter, and I’m certainly no fan of Elon Musk, but from what I see in the news most of his changes seem to be pretty superficial. Why are people acting like Twitter is dead? Because of a name change and people having blue checkmarks?

• bigkix@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Previously it was the right that cried, now it’s the left. Only constant is that both still use Twitter (or X, whatever) and will continue to do so.

• maegul@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Yep! I read that post for you when you posted it. Been thinking of it regularly since and how spot on you were!!