• Doublepluskirk@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Jackfruit. For a while it was the ‘go to’ vegan option for places to offer; jackfruit smothered in awfully sweet BBQ sauce. The texture is softer than anything it’s trying to mimic, It’s messy, and flavourless.

• weastie@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

Honestly, I in general don’t really like when a meat is substituted for a food that is not a primarily protein source. Like replacing meat for cauliflower or jackfruit, as opposed to something with legumes or lentils

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

It creates really imbalanced meals that don’t meet our dietary needs, and turns active people away from a plant-based diet. Vegetarian and vegan diets already have a reputation for being protein challenged, and this type of substitution hurts it further by substantiating those assumptions.

• weastie@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

From a taste perspective, umami.

From a health perspective, eating more protein is really good for satiety and therefore weight loss. Personally, when I don’t go out of my way to incorporate extra protein sources, I usually just don’t feel satisfied and full. I understand and recognize that you literally don’t need a ton of extra protein to be healthy, but I feel best when I have it.

• thegiddystitcher@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

I swear some places that claim to have an extensive vegan-friendly menu are just obsessed with bell peppers. Bell peppers stuffed with this, bell peppers added to that. Give me ONE item without the accursed things, I beg of you!

• Doublepluskirk@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

I like bell peppers, but before veganism became more mainstream where I am a few years back, the lazy veggie option in restaurants was bell pepper stuffed with couscous, and I grew to detest it.

• De_Narm@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Those increasingly popular substitutes mimicking meat as closely as possible. I don’t want to second guess everything I eat and honestly, I don’t think any of them are tasty. I liked things more when they did their own stuff.

Now, I know I’m not the target audience. They help other people to reduce their meat intake or even to switch completely and that is great and all, but I’m still sad about the good stuff disappearing.

• weastie@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

That’s fair, as someone who went vegan recently I quite enjoy a couple meat substitutes. I imagine someone who’s been vegan for a while doesn’t care for them much though.

I really like impossible ground beef and its derivatives (meatballs, burgers). This has been my main way of convincing my friends they could maybe go vegan, all but one of my really picky friends still enjoy these. But the vast majority of vegan imitation meats I don’t care much for.

• cabhan
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I do like a lot of meat alternatives, but I was at a restaurant a while back where they had a non-Beyond Meat veggie burger. And it was super good! I feel like it’s becoming a lost art, though :(.

My dad is the opposite: he wants every restaurant to only offer Beyond Meat burgers. He loves them.

• Guntrigger@feddit.ch
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Where did l the bean burgers go? It used to be the go to veggie option for places serving burgers and some were delicious. Now it’s all fake meat patties and halloumi.

• De_Narm@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Yes, I miss my bean burgers! There used to be a great black bean burger I could get around here, but it did disappear and I can’t recreate it.

• Fermiverse@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Meat, milk, cream substitutes everything perfectly fine. Plant based food in general, perfect.

Cheese…still my Armageddon the haptic, the taste doesn’t fit my bodies expectation. Still have go for the real cheese product.

• weastie@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

I think there are a few spots where vegan cheese works.

There’s a couple simple parmesan cheese recipes that are pretty much just blended cashews, nooch, and seasonings that I enjoy on spaghetti. I’m sure it wouldn’t fool anybody but it works like a charm for me.

I also think you can make queso dips pretty well, the main ingredient usually being blended cashews or blended potatoes and carrots.

Sorry for bringing up cashews again but you can also make a really good cashew ricotta that’s a good spread on crackers.

I tend not to enjoy the imitation cheeses. I prefer just going all in on the nuts and enjoying the final product as it’s own unique item.

• thisfro@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Same, but I occasionally do find nice ones, especially soft/fresh types

• makuus@pawb.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I never thought in my life that I would have opinions about vegan cheese, but, oh boy, do I. So many choices, and I think that’s great. But, they are all jam-packed with coconut oil, which tastes just awful to me and gives my stomach the turns.

At the time I had to make the switch, Miyoko’s did a cashew-based sliced cheese—without a hint of coconut oil—that I thought was amazing. But, they ditched that product because it wasn’t ’up to their standards’(?) Every time I go by the non-dairy cheese section and see a new product, I get a brief glimmer of hope it’ll be some similar product, and that I can finally have cheese without worry again.

• jol
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

Vegan canned tuna. I was never a big fan of tuna, so the new vegan tuna canas are so close to the real thing that it’s off putting. Honestly wish I liked it because they are getting fairly cheap and I remember it being a convenient food to have in the pantry. But ugh…

In terms of veggies there’s no a lot I won’t eat… But okra makes me literally gag

• streetfestival@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

I’m kind of the same. I thought tuna smelled like warm urine, and I have never sought vegan tuna since. Also, I’m not an okra fan. It’s the one vegan Indian curry where I’m like “umm, what else is there?” :P

• library_napper@monyet.cc
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

The vegan ice creams whose #1 ingredient is water, not fat.

And, in general, this trend where companies confuse veganism with “I’m on a diet looking for low calorie options” or “gluten free”

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

Im talking abiut ice cream, not sorbet. It has cream, its just watered down so it has less calories.

Ingredients are ordered by quantity. So if the first ingredient is water and the second ingredient is coconut cream, then it has more water than cream.

• n3m37h@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

I mean more water than cream still makes a sorbet.

Ive never seen iced cream with water as an ingredient.

Whays the point in lying about what ya are selling.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            5 months ago

Look at the ice creams that are marketed as low calorie.

I dont like watereed down ice cream any more than I like watered down whisky, which is why I posted it. But it is still, in fact, ice cream.

• pinchcramp@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Hummus!

Don’t get me wrong, I love a good hummus and regularly make it myself. BUT! So many places that have one or two vegan options just offer _____ hummus. Sandwich with veggies and hummus, hummus salad bowl, hummus over rice and grilled veggies.

I just can’t see it anymore. Usually the hummus is not even that good …

Why is hummus the only thing those restaurants can think of when creating a vegan meal?

• weastie@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I feel like that’s a common trend with vegan food. Take a delicious food item and overuse it until it’s almost disgusting. I love hummus but I can imagine if I ate it all the time I would get sick of it. I’m like that a little bit with mushrooms, I love mushrooms but eating a ton of them makes them gross for me.

I think something sorta unique about hummus that makes it really popular is that it’s a vegan protein source that is served cold and can surprisingly substitute meat and cheese well. Like you mentioned about sandwiches, you can take out the deli meat and cheese and replace it with hummus and it still tastes delicious. Most vegan protein sources are cooked and served warm, or don’t taste well with garden vegetables (like peanut butter).

• M137@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Tempeh, I’ve tried it several times in several variations but haven’t liked any so far.

• weastie@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

I’ve never tried a durian but it’s kind of tempting, bucket list item for sure. What do you hate about it?

• Mario_Dies.wav@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

I hated everything about it lol

Having to wear gloves to open it

The smell and taste of sweaty socks filled with vanilla custard laced with garlic

The confusing texture

I guess I’d recommend it for the experience. It’s certainly unique!

• toomanypancakes@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

I tried durian ice cream once and decided I never need to try durian for real

Smell and taste of sweaty socks and garlic is completely accurate from what I remember

• guillem@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

For the ones not liking cheese alternatives: have you tried vegan feta cheese? I personally love it.

• De_Narm@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Cheese spread is also really good! Actually better than the original to be honest, at least the cashew ones.

Vegan cheese is only abysmal if you’re going for anything melted or crispy.

• ArbitraryValue@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

Grilled vegetables. They can be good but they usually aren’t, they’re not very filling, and they’re a very common consolation prize for me while other people eat the real meal.

Lettuce. Why do so many people think that a salad should be made of flavorless leaves and vinegar? If I make a salad, it has tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, onions, olive oil, and a little salt - no lettuce and no “salad dressing”.

Weird grains that all taste like undercooked brown rice. I don’t care how ancient they are or how much fiber they have. (The major exception: buckwheat. It’s amazing and why doesn’t everyone eat it?)

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Daiya cheese, coconut-based ice creams for non-coconut flavours, stuff like Impossible burger that pretty realistically simulate meat (I’m old veg, I think they’re really valuable products to have available for new veg or anyone else)

• weastie@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

I’ve never been all that fond of falafel. I feel like I would like it in theory but when I eat it it’s just, meh.

• thisfro@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

:O

Jk, I love when I make them myself, but in many places they’re just dry as hell…

• jol
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

There’s dozens of different falafel styles and all of them claim to be original. Lebanon Syria, Greece, turkey, and others each make a different falafel. I’ve had amazing crunchy falafel sandwiches and others that tasted like stale bread inside another bread.

• Io Sapsai 🌱@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Within 200m I had falafel from two different places. One tasted like woodshavings and paper towels (I kinda suspect a paper towel really did get in there, it’s usually just wood shavings), the other one was Lebanese, and it was the tastiest, most amazing falafel I’ve had in my life. Homemade is great, supermarket is ok when I want a quick wrap but kinda meh.

• weastie@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

I think I’m very okay with admitting that I probably just haven’t had good falafel yet. But I’ll make more effort to do so based on everyone’s comments!

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Freshness is important. Fresh falafel straight out of the fryer in a sandwich with all the fixings is a very nice meal imo :P