🙄

• Gormadt
    link
    fedilink
    19511 months ago

Ffs

Yes change the name and iconic logo of a huge corporation, that will go over great.

If he hadn’t demonstrated his incompetence earlier I’d think it was intentional.

I still think there’s a bit of intent to destroy the company but it’s kinda hard to tell.

• @poorsocialskills@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      12011 months ago

There’s a woman over on Mastodon making the argument that he’s trying to destroy it so it can’t be used to organize left-leaning political action (fundraising, activism, issue messaging, etc) any longer. She makes a compelling argument.

• bedrooms
        link
        fedilink
        9611 months ago

I don’t buy that. He tried to cancel the purchase. He’s also losing money, and so it’s definitely not a 3D chess.

• @qwertyqwertyqwerty@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          4811 months ago

Didn’t Twitter almost take him to court if he didn’t follow through with the purchase? I think he got caught in his over investment in Twitter last year, and rather than go through a trial with discovery (I think he NEEDED to follow through to avoid this specifically), he decided to go through with the purchase. I wonder what the hell they would have found during a trial discovery that made him sink $44B.

But what he’s doing now? I don’t think it’s related to that. I think it might be to help manipulate stocks, as we have seen him do several months back. Maybe he thinks that destroying left-leaning political action saves him in taxes? He destroyed public transportation in California just so people would theoretically purchase more Tesla cars. Nothing is beyond being trampled by Musk if he thinks he can benefit by stumbling over the other side of the corpse.

• @Banzai51@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          2811 months ago

Not only that, it would have been easier and cheaper to just shut the whole thing down after taking ownership. His very public (mainly by his own tweeting) stewardship of Twitter is damaging to his reputation, and the reputation of his other businesses. The reality is, he just is that dumb.

• @regul@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            1110 months ago

His net worth has only gone up since he bought it, iirc. Tesla will continue to print money at least for a little while until other automakers catch up on EVs. SpaceX doesn’t seem to have any viable competitors, and both sides of the aisle agree on privatizing space, so that’s a big growth industry. This is the unfortunate fact of capitalism in general and late-stage capitalism in particular.

• Ech
              link
              fedilink
              edit-2
              10 months ago

His net worth has only gone up since he bought it, iirc

It absolutely didn’t. His net worth dropped over 50% in the months following the purchase. It’s back up above $200b at this point according to Forbes, but he’s still down from his pre-purchase state.

• @anlumo@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            510 months ago

If he’d just shut it down, he probably would have been personally liable for Twitter’s debt, because he didn’t even try.

• @tias
          link
          2010 months ago

I mean it can be all of the above. Musk isn’t very coherent.

• DJDarren
            link
            fedilink
            English
            810 months ago

He’s the consummate failson. Rich enough that he’ll never actually experience any tangible negativity from his various ventures, if he has a skill, it’s in self-publicity and (historically) throwing money at ventures that are already on an upward trajectory.

But I feel that all the cocaine and being surrounded by Yes Men have led to him tipping over the edge.

• Nepenthe
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        11 months ago

I’d believe it if I hadn’t already heard of Musk being the type to fire workers in his line of sight at pure random simply to fire someone. It apparently got so bad that aids would plan the route he would take to the meetings around having as few victims as possible out in the open.

It would be a smart move for anyone, and he is succeeding to a good extent (they’ll just go elsewhere?), but I think that’s just a happy accident of his. I feel like he’s really just using it as a chew toy so he can feel all big and important with the headlines. If he were being journalistically gray rocked, I wonder what he’d do.

• Big P
        link
        fedilink
        3111 months ago

The issue with that argument is… Why? He is a business man, activism generally doesn’t effect him, tesla cars are generally liked by left leaning middle class, why would he spend so much money to destroy something?

• @Ganbat@lemmyonline.com
          link
          fedilink
          1511 months ago

One factor is his obsession with crypto and Blockchain shit. Left-wing activism generally stands against that stuff because of the environmental impact. Additionally, right-wing political movements recently have been lowering safety standards in business. Bad for the worker, but great for the bottom line.

• blazera
        link
        fedilink
        2011 months ago

he bought it pretty soon after a meeting with Putin, while the Ukraine invasion was fresh and international support was rallying on Twitter. So, blackmail, bribery, buy up Twitter and immediately gut it.

• @Drinvictus
        link
        811 months ago

I unironically believe this conspiracy theory

• Xerø
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        710 months ago

I’ve been saying the same thing in multiple Lemmy posts and on Mastodon. Twitter and Reddit were both used by progressives to organize.

• fearout
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      11 months ago

I saw this article posted in another thread and it seems to explain a lot. Not sure how close it is to reality, but it looks like nostalgia is at least a partial reason for this change.

Yep. Fucking nostalgia.

• Nepenthe
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      11 months ago

I’m opening up a rival called “social media.” Already, we’re on everyone’s lips, set to have a userbase spanning half the web.

• CarlsIII
      link
      fedilink
      3911 months ago

There’s a band I heard of called “:(“ and I’ve never been able to find it since

• CarlsIII
          link
          fedilink
          2811 months ago

Wow, thanks! I’m not sure this is even them but it’s a band called :( so I’ll take it!

• lukini
        link
        fedilink
        410 months ago

There’s a Japanese youtube channel that makes music under a blank name with blank titles. Thankfully you can google “blank japanese youtube channel” and it shows up lol

• CarlsIII
          link
          fedilink
          110 months ago

Heh, there’s also a Japanese band that used to be called…X

• melroy
      link
      fedilink
      2511 months ago

Ṯ̸̛̠͈̜̮̠͉̖̩͈̦̖̰̺̦̳̞̣͍̖̮̩̩͔̟̇̾̽̄̔̊͂̕͝w̶̘̖͓̮͓̉̀̀̿̈́̀͗͂̂̑̆̐̀͌́͗̑̑̊̈̅̇͒̊͋̚͘̕͘̕į̸͖̪̪̟̭͔͚̼̳̏̈͒́͑͒̈́̿̔͆̀̿̏̒͝t̶̡̘̟̣̀̾͛͂̒͆̆̂̇͘͠t̷̡̨̖̖̤͎̬̜̬͈̙̱͖̼͚͇͕̘͈̔̎́̅̈́̉͒́̚͜͝͝ͅę̴͕̥͎̙͉̗̜̟͔́̀̾͐̿̑̉̀͐̂̚r̵̢̢̦̰̰̣͖̯͎͚͙͇̯͈̙͔͇͉͈̩̖̝͉̅̏̿͗̆̀̀̈́̔̀͊̓

• Big P
      link
      fedilink
      1311 months ago

At least he didn’t name it something that’s a generic name for a concept that exists on almost all social media sites like… I don’t know, “threads”

• @Fizz@lemmy.nz
    link
    fedilink
    7711 months ago

If your goal is to reduce cost why would you waste money doing a rebrand… so dumb

• EnderWi99in
      link
      fedilink
      3711 months ago

I believe his main goal is turning Twitter into something of an “everything” site where he’s looking to combine the likes of Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, Discord, and Venmo/Paypal into a single service. I don’t know if it was his goal when he bought it or if it has any chance in hell of working, but that’s something he at least said (while probably drunk) fairly recently.

• @aperson@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        1411 months ago

He has had this dream of an everything app for a very long time. I feel like he is trying to realize it now.

• Daniel
        link
        fedilink
        510 months ago

My first thought was an all-in-one “life subscription,” kinda like how you can buy those iPhone + Apple One packages, but with Tesla (I don’t know if Tesla has subscriptions to them – but I’m sure they do), Twitter Blue, and Starlink. It’s pretty dystopian and hecka freaky.

• Kresten
        link
        fedilink
        310 months ago

This reminds me of when snapchat tried to entire the mobile cash industry with they snapchat pay service.

• @Fizz@lemmy.nz
        link
        fedilink
        1411 months ago

Yeah I saw that and cringed. Why would you give Andrew Tate money. It removes all plausible deniablity and proves that you want people like him posting on your platform.

• @figaro@lemdro.id
    link
    fedilink
    7011 months ago

Was Twitter ever really a left leaning platform in the first place? It pretty much always felt like it was filled with Russian bots and maga shit.

So I guess good job Musk for burning down a shit website? Lol

As a side note, Mastodon is legitimately fantastic. The community there is genuinely nice.

• The Cuuuuube
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      7111 months ago

It was left leaning until about 2014. Then it slowly crept farther and farther right wing. Slowly bleeding users who didn’t want to deal with the fascist jerks. Slowly converting fence sitters into fascist jerks by normalizing fascism by pretending it was just asking questions, just making edgy jokes, you know the drill. Next, 2016 came. That for me was when the bottom fell out of twitter. The Russian twitter bots were everywhere. And it took twitter way too long to deal with it. I think by that point, the platform was ruined. It was never going to grow meaningfully by attracting new people. It was just going to slowly decay as people looked for their friends and favorite creators on Reddit, Discord, Youtube, or wherever else they went. But that decay would have been slow until Elon tanked it. His efforts have chased off users in droves

• @sci@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        1110 months ago

Most new platforms are left leaning from the start, because left leaning people are more likely to try out new platforms. Once platforms get mainstream they will be picked up by right leaning media.

• @jemorgan@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        1510 months ago

Just so you know, you don’t have to announce if you’re leaving a community. Just go. Nobody cares

• @CapedStanker@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          910 months ago

I don’t know i think it would be kind of cool to have a herald yell out when we come and go, like the medieval times.

• @jemorgan@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            510 months ago

Alright I’m sold, I take back what I said.

Do we have Lemmy bots? Sounds like a cool idea for a really annoying bot haha.

• @CapedStanker@beehaw.org
              link
              fedilink
              English
              210 months ago

HEAR YE HEAR YE, THE RIGHT AND HONORABLE SIR LORD JEMORGAN of LEMM.EE HAS DECLARED, ON THIS DAY THE 24TH OF JULY, THAT THEY ARE SOLD, AND TAKES BACK WHAT THEY SAID. LET US ALL APPLAUD THEIR OPEN MINDEDNESS.

THE LORD ALSO CARES TO INQUIRE ABOUT THE IMPLEMENTATIONS OF LEMMY BOTS AND THAT IT SOUNDS LIKE A COOL IDEA.

ALL HAIL JEMORGAN, MAY THEY LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

• @jemorgan@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                English
                210 months ago

Well doesn’t that just make my pants a little tighter in a way that I’m 100% down for

• @jemorgan@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            110 months ago

Yeah, because sadly I can’t just silently unsubscribe from all the whiners who have to make sure to let everybody know that they’re not going to stay subscribed to a community lol.

And also, I just care about you buddy I don’t need to justify that. You have an awesome rest of your day.

• @Gacrux@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    10 months ago

alright now we’re gonna have quite a big discussion as to what “x server” means. x11? twitter?

“guys x servers are down!”
    “have you checked your .xinitrc? did you start x?”
    “whats an x innit racecar? the x servers are down!”
    “how do you use x without knowing what an .xinitrc is… oh”

meanwhile reddit gonna rename themselves to “wayland”

• @sol@thelemmy.club
      link
      fedilink
      1810 months ago

No rich person is actually smart, they are all addicted to money and can’t get help over it. But their moves in the business world are all calculated, this guy is doing exactly what he wants to do and their goal is to make money not to lose them.

• Doug [he/him]
            link
            fedilink
            610 months ago

That’s a very big part of it.

When fucknugget wanted to start a company he had plenty of credit either on his own, with his name, or both. If he blew 50k in an attempt he could try again next week.

If I blew 50k I’d be homeless.

It’s way easier to high stakes gamble when you won’t notice you lost.

• @sol@thelemmy.club
          link
          fedilink
          110 months ago

They are lucky because the average person won’t even bother checking out on wikipedia how they become so rich

• @ipkpjersi@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        1010 months ago

this guy is doing exactly what he wants to do and their goal is to make money not to lose them.

How does this make him money exactly? lol

He is literally just killing off his website.

• @sol@thelemmy.club
          link
          fedilink
          310 months ago

My guess: the same way the now called Meta benefited from stalling facebook and moving people to their other platforms like instagram. These marketers perceive everything in market terms, twitter is old and they need to release a brand new product to hook people up

• @Banzai51@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          210 months ago

I’m waiting for the next step when he tries to add features to make X whatever he envisions. Oh, those devs I fired. Hey, why can’t we hire anyone? No one wants to work.

• @sol@thelemmy.club
          link
          fedilink
          110 months ago

Money are an addiction just like smoke, sex or drugs. If you can’t cope with being addicted to gold at the end of the day you are dumber than some kids

• Grant_M
      link
      fedilink
      810 months ago

He’s like any other punk born into millions.

• @TheYang@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      710 months ago

Depends.

If he thinks Twitter is irreperably dying, this may be a way, in which he can get out of repaying the loans he used to (partially) fund the buyout of twitter.

• @agentsquirrel@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        1510 months ago

If you’re thinking this an “artist formerly known as Prince” sort of thing where Prince got out of a contract, I’m sure all the debt holders have the proper legal verbiage to have agreements remain valid in the event of a name change.

• @BeigeAgenda@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          1810 months ago

The lenders lawyer arrives at the Twitter office:

Lawyer: This is Twitter, is it?

Musk: (with a fake mustache) No, it’s X.

• @BeigeAgenda@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              610 months ago

That makes me think of the theory about Saudi Arabia and probably other countries have had it in for Twitter since Arab Spring.

So this is just Elon doing as instructed: “Make Twitter disappear, but make it look like an accident”

• @TheYang@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          10 months ago

depends how the loans worked.
          I was assuming his majority shares of X (ex Twitter) collateral.
          And that that he could just go “yeah, go on, collect on your collateral, I don’t mind”, because it’s not worth anything anymore.

But admittedly I have no Idea how the contracts were drawn up, if this is possible and if his other money would be available to collect on.

• milkjug
        link
        fedilink
        410 months ago

At some point some creditor should be desperate enough to do a margin call, since the loan collateral is next to worthless.

• @Dan_Rachevaski@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    4710 months ago

He got a company and a social media that is remarkable, and recognizable, and even has an action verb related to it, “tweet, to tweet, tweeting”.

And he decided to piss on it and create the X app. Adding insult to injury is that it’s again, another techy black and white logo. Of course, because that’s the silicon valley trend isn’t it, black and white clean minimalist corporate logo, no soul, no community, just corporate all along.

• Aiden
    link
    fedilink
    4111 months ago

Mmmm yes. Can’t wait to X about this!

• @Swedneck
    link
    4110 months ago

Who wants to tell him about Xorg and their product X11?

• skellener
    link
    fedilink
    4011 months ago

I think they should go with 💩Shitter - it’s where most people use it anyway.