Many Procreate users can breathe a sigh of relief now that the popular iPad illustration app has taken a definitive stance against generative AI. “We’re not going to be introducing any generative AI into our products,” Procreate CEO James Cuda said in a video posted to X. “I don’t like what’s happening to the industry, and I don’t like what it’s doing to artists.”

The creative community’s ire toward generative AI is driven by two main concerns: that AI models have been trained on their content without consent or compensation, and that widespread adoption of the technology will greatly reduce employment opportunities. Those concerns have driven some digital illustrators to seek out alternative solutions to apps that integrate generative AI tools, such as Adobe Photoshop. “Generative AI is ripping the humanity out of things. Built on a foundation of theft, the technology is steering us toward a barren future,” Procreate said on the new AI section of its website. “We think machine learning is a compelling technology with a lot of merit, but the path generative AI is on is wrong for us.”

I love seeing a product where not shoving in “AI” is the feature. Hope to see more.

• Bluefalcon
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

Agree, down vote that shit. Honestly i don’t see a good use. You make images with AI so you don’t make anything, the AI does. So I don’t see it as creative. Or you steal other peoples work to produce a good product making their jobs expendable which makes AI useless later on.

AI has massive benefits but image generating isn’t one.

• Admiral Patrick@dubvee.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      24 days ago

A nice benefit of running my own instance (with a site rule prohibiting AI-generated anything) is that I can just administratively remove/block communities that push that stuff out (or individual users/bots who do). That way I’m not wasting storage, processing, network bandwidth, and electricity on it. So, I don’t even see it to downvote it. :)