Unfortunately I cannot find it anywhere online. It doesn’t help that there is no brand name on it ;)

EDIT: The product is http://milebv.eu/index.php/products/product/25 (thanks to @rbn@sopuli.xyz for finding it!)

I used to buy this at a local vegan store (veganz at Warschauerstr in Berlin), but that store closed a while ago.

It was the most amazing mock duck I’ve had, but now I can’t find it anywhere else. All I have is this picture (I don’t even remember why I took it, probably to tell someone how amazing it is).

As far as I recall the product was made in Taiwan, not sure if that helps.

Of course, any other suggestions for tasty mock duck are welcome too, since I just love this stuff 😋

• nilclassOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    21 days ago

Ah yes, that’s the one! Thank you so much, maybe now that I know the manufacturer i can find it somewhere.

I’ve checked multiple asia stores already, will continue doing so.

Regarding making it myself: the ingredients aren’ t special, but the texture is something i don’t know how to recreate

• rbn@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 days ago

Based on the calories of the finished product, it contains around 65% water. Based on the pictures I’d expect the consistency to be rather soft and a bit like gummy. So maybe like a slightly harder version of tofu?

If that’s correct, I guess the consistency might come from the added starch. I’d try to heat it slowly. You can try to put the dought at a slow wattage (~200W for 10-15 minutes) in the microwave. Alternatively, you can steam it for 20-30 minutes. Then put it in a preheated pan to give it a short roast from both sides. If you don’t want it to be crispy, you can put a lid on the pan.

• nilclassOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        21 days ago

Based on the pictures I’d expect the consistency to be rather soft and a bit like gummy.

that’s correct. The outer crust is a bit harder than the center, and the center consists of layers, which come apart easily when cutting. Not sure how to recreate those…

Thanks for the other tips, I’ll try adding starch next time I experiment with saitan. Also haven’t tried to microwave it yet, usually I steam it or bake it.