• dingleberry
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I have a sneaking suspicion that most memes are from CS students, it all makes sense. People with jobs don’t have time to make memes, get angsty about languages, or syntax issues.

• wizardbeard@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Unfortunately this idea tracks with a lot of online content. People who have time and energy to be extremely opinionated about things generally either don’t have a lot else going on, or have direct personal experience that led to their strong views. As people get older and life gets busier people seem far more likely to just do whatever they need to get by and shut up about it.

Seriously, go look up some of the user demographics polls and analysis that was done against various subs on the old site. Most users are/were college age or younger even. Puts a lot of the “sillier” subs like relationshipadvice into context.

• soggy_kitty@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

This guy fucks^

In my opinion this is a problem with the internet in general, younger people tend to crave attention and often receive the most online because of the anonymous platform it gives them.

As I approach 35 I find myself half writing comments and deleting them because I don’t fucking care. This time I will press send

• P1r4nha@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Dude, imagine taking the time out of your day to actually make a meme (like the one posted). I really can’t be bothered.

• Fushuan [he/him]@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Yeah, if something in my life frustrates me, be it coding or otherwise, I search for solutions online and complain to friends “offline”, If I ever thought of making content, it would be on solutions I found of things that frustrated me,. and I’m not even that old.

• flamingo_pinyata@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

After 10 years of doing it for work, I still get frustrated about language issues.

But semicolons? It’s 2023, why does your language have semicolons at all? If you’re one of those poor sods stuck with Java, still it’s not an issue, all IDEs will warn you, and basically complete half the code for you.

• Windex007@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

It’s 2023, why does your language have semicolons at all?

Explicitly constructing your intentions are features of a language.

I LOVE types. I LOVE semi colons. I LOVE compiler errors.

Why? Because the ALTERNATIVE is finding (if you’re lucky) unexpected behaviour at run-time.

I promise, I promise SO HARD, that memes about semi colons or “my code doesn’t compile” are GREAT problems to have.if that’s what’s making you sad, your life is good and you’re getting paid 10x too much.

• _danny@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

People who are annoyed by types have never had to spend weeks of their life hunting for a missing property on an object.

Compilation errors are so much more preferable than finding out the same error at runtime.

• Rodeo@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            8 months ago

Ada has got your back. Entire classes of runtime bugs in C code are eliminated by compiler errors.

You can’t even make a integer overflow unless you’ve explicitly declared that statement as unsafe.

• flamingo_pinyata@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Semicolons are not at all comparable to types.

Types give structure to your program, prevent bugs and make team work easier. Semicolons are an artifact of the times it was thought multiple statements could go on a same line. Although I do admit, they make language design easier.

• soggy_kitty@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

They pay me more money than all of the other Devs because I’m the only guy willing to take on our existing stacks usage of shudders JavaScript. Most Devs I meet straight up refuse to learn it, let alone code in it.

• nathris@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Semicolons are optional in JavaScript unless you are combining multiple statements on a single line, which is generally not something you should be doing anyway.

I avoid them whenever possible. It encourages people to write poorly formatted code. But then I’m a python dev so I tend to be opinionated when it comes to whitespace.

• folkrav@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

Just slap a formatter on there and call it a day. Semicolon or not, IDGAF, let’s just stop with the formatting bikeshedding. There are more important things to think about. They don’t encourage anything if you don’t think about formatting.

• Aa!@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

This is one of the things I like most about Go. Formatting is already defined and handled by go fmt. Takes out all format arguments before they start.

• nickwitha_k (he/him)@lemmy.sdf.org
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Sure but I’m not sure that most HR management software companies are going to be keen on handing over source for you to review.

5/7 Software package is pure garbage. Tim forgot to remove his TODO comment from line 1052 of main and there are three instances of inconsistent indentation in the API module. Therefore, our automation pipeline has marked our own employees as “needs improvement”.

• Fushuan [he/him]@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

It’s annoying to be the weird one that rewrites all the code on the files I touch because I bothered to press format. Then someone forgets to pull before changing the code and suddenly the merge is not fast forward and the conflict resolution is a mess. It’s not that big of a deal, for me a t least, but when i format the code it’s 3 other dumbasses that get conflicts, and sometimes I just can’t bother enough to fix their issues because I took care of formatting it once.

Nowadays I use an opinionated linter, format my stuff and call it a day.

• Eufalconimorph
            cake
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

You don’t have an autoformatter in your pre-commit hook? Why not?

• nickwitha_k (he/him)@lemmy.sdf.org
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

I loathe linter errors. If you know that I did it wrong and how, just fix it and stop wasting everyone’s time. That’s why I’m in favor of opinionated formatters in the per-commit automation. No point in wasting everyone’s time and making silly merge conflicts possible.

• souperk@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

last week I had misconfigured my auto-format and it was leaving commas and whitespaces. The amount of “WHAT HAVE YOU DONE???” comments I got were of the chart.

There was a linter in place, I literally could not merge unless the issues were fixed, yet people felt compelled to point them out.