• jmcs
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Since then, Yvette’s pulled the same “trick” four times, although she insists she doesn’t see herself as a shoplifter and is “a goody goody” by nature: “I earn a reasonable amount in my senior position, drive an SUV, and live in a desirable postcode. Before my divorce, our girls attended private school.”

This kind of ÜberKarens are the reason we can’t get nice stuff. Actions of people like her will be used to crack down on people that literally can’t afford basic needs and to reduce the privacy of everyone else, while making the service shittier at the same time.

And she has the gall of calling her self a “goody goody”. Bullshit, no one so self entitled is a nice person.

• Ragdoll X@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

Honestly I don’t even really care that much that she’s shoplifting, I find it hard to sympathize with a multi-billion-dollar company losing a small fraction of their profits.

But then she insists that she’s not actually a shoplifter, and brags about her income and how she’s a great person as if she’s trying to separate herself from “the bad shoplifters”, which gives me the same vibes as the article “The Only Moral Abortion is My Abortion”.

• 520@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

I know right? If anything she’s worse; she’s the one not doing it out of necessity. She actually has a realistic choice.

Not that I have much sympathy for the supermarkets but fuck me, don’t pretend you’re better than the next person doing it, especially when they might only be doing it out of necessity.

• FMT99@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

The multi billion dollar company loses nothing. If shoplifting increases they’ll just raise the prices for the rest of us.

• Flambo@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

prices will be raised regardless. record profits? raise prices. record growth? raise prices. cost of production goes down? raise prices.

• bratosch@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

I don’t get her reasoning either. “I consider myself a goody goody because I’m an upper class asshole”

• aDuckk@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

“It’s not a crime when we do it.” Meanwhile I guarantee you this person has turned their nose up at lower class people shopping in the same stores like they could only be there to steal shit.

• Annoyed_🦀 🏅@monyet.cc
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

Yeah, bitch decided to commit crime 5 times, boast about her career and wealth while pretend that is the feature of good people, then “teach” others how to commit the same crime. Bitch have no shame nor dignity. Makes me wonder what sort of white collar crime she also committed.

• Echo Dot@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

“I’m actually a really good person, I just commit crimes for fun, so it’s okay.”

• deur@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

People who don’t accept the consequences of their actions are the worst.

However, what if Yvette is not a real person and this is meant to stir up drama targeted at the middle class?

• prime_number_314159@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

The boot you feel is the biological reality that we all need to eat (and more than just eat), and almost all of us need someone else to grow/raise/ sometimes prepare that food (and more than just food) for us. Supermarkets operate on extremely thin margins, and so do most farms, and so too most food factories. Most of them would go out of business if they cut prices by 5%.

People stealing from supermarkets cost the other shoppers around them, either through raised prices, or closed stores, if it’s bad enough. This is a major reason for the “food desert” phenomena, and why wealthy areas typically have cheaper groceries.