• 0x4E4F@sh.itjust.worksOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

It’s killing what effectively is the backbone of what makes up Linux and the open source world - diversity.

• Chewy
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

There’s an increasing amount of wayland compositors, so I don’t think diversity goes away.

Additionally, hyprland supports plugins which can do most things an X.org window manager could do. E.g. there’s a plugin to support river’s window layout protocol, which allows for creating custom window layout generator.

Diversity doesn’t just vanish, it’s replaced by new possibilities, created by solid protocol specifications with multiple implementations.

Similarily, nixpkgs and other repos continue to grow, just like flathub does too. These projects aren’t killing diversity, they’re enabling it.

• mb_@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

I would argue they are all the same since most are based on wlroots and if wlroots doesn’t support something neither does the “increasing amount of Wayland compositors”.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

I was talking in general, didn’t have Wayland in mind in particular… but I did have systemd in mind.

• Justin@lemmy.jlh.name
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            6 months ago

Systemd makes it easier for distro devs to write new services and test them, and makes it less likely for those services to have bugs. The systemd project also provides many daemons that improve the quality of a distro, such as journald, systemd-boot, systemd-resolved, and systemd-timedate. Systemd is making it easier for small distros, not harder.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              6 months ago

I’ve ran into so many problems with systemd, that I just avoid it now. You do one thing and expect that to reflect on whatever you think it should reflect on, and it doesn’t. Why? Some systemd thing does this or that and it doesn’t let the message through. Ah, but you have an exception list for that. OK, cool, add to exception list, still doesn’t work 😒. Turns out, that exception list thingie is like in beta (for as long as systemd exists), and it doesn’t really work… well, at least not most of the time.

Not to mention various errors, daemons not responding (for god knows what reason), things being incredibly slow (compared to non-systemd based distros)… I just gave up, that is not a finished product from my POV.

I use Void now with runit, couldn’t be happier ☺️. Everything just works. If it doesn’t, it’s probably my fault.

• Chewy
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                6 months ago

Choice is one of the great things about Linux, and I don’t see alternative init going away. For most people systemd is good enough and solves problems, so I agree, in that case popular init diversity has gone away.

• Avid Amoeba@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

Linux’es diversity has never been found in the large fundamental pieces of software. Instead it’s typically been found in the nooks and crannies between them. We’ve typically had one or several of those and most have used those. It’s the kind of diversity you find between evolutionary differences between the same species, not revolutionary differences.