Just based on how often I notice someone mispronounce a word without realizing it (or have done so myself and realized it later). Statistically I’m probably still doing it with some word.

• @GombeenSysadmin@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    514 months ago

Welcome to the world of Irish names!

We got:

• Dearbhla (Derv-la, f)
    • caoilfhionn (kee-lin, f)
    • Meadhbh (Maeve, f)
    • Saoirse (seer-shuh, f)
    • Seoirse (shor-shuh, m)
    • Caoimhín (kee-veen, m)
    • Sadhbh (sive, f)

And many more!

• @GombeenSysadmin@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            74 months ago

There’s meant to be a fada over the a (á), so it’s definitely meant to be a longer vowel sound.

Take the name Sean for example. Spelled like that it’s actually pronounced shan, and means old. The name that we all pronounce as Shawn is actually spelled Seán

• TheRealKuni
              link
              fedilink
              English
              44 months ago

The name that we all pronounce as Shawn is actually spelled Seán

And, fun fact, is the Irish version of the Hebrew name Yohanan (יוֹחָנָן) from which we get John and Jean and Jehan and Johan and Shane and Juan and many other variants!

• Jojo
                link
                fedilink
                24 months ago

Everybody’s named John. All the way back. There is only one name, just lots of different spellings and pronunciations.

• @Soggy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      64 months ago

We should re-do Romanization. Start over, sound it out, have a big Anglosphere conference to decide on what letters make what noise and stick to it.

• @jaxxed@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        24 months ago

Many of the slavic romanizations have largely centralised on strict roman phonetics. There are still exceptions, but many of them can be sounded out with a bit of learning.

• Jojo
          link
          fedilink
          14 months ago

Yeah. English doesn’t use the “bh” and “dh” digraphs the same way we use “th”, but Irish does. One you learn that, that’s like 80-90% of the confusion.

• @MIDItheKID@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      34 months ago

My Irish cousin-in-law recently had a daughter and named her Blathnaid. I was very surprised to learn it is pronounced Bla-nid

• @TheBiscuitLout@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    284 months ago

One of my friends once called me pedantic, and I got to correct his pronunciation of it - he stressed the first syllable. One of the high points of my life.

• Something Burger 🍔
        link
        fedilink
        164 months ago

GH is pronounced F like in “enough”.

O is pronounced E like on “women”.

TI is pronounced SH like in “action”.

Therefore, ghoti is pronounced fish.

• @Dicska@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          4 months ago

You CAN pronounce it fish, but you can also just simply not pronounce it.

GH is pronounced _ like in high.

O is pronounced _ like in jeopardy.

T is pronounced _ like in potpourri.

I is pronounced _ like in receive.

Therefore, ghoti is completely silent.

• @samus12345@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            edit-2
            4 months ago

T is pronounced _ like in potpourri.

Kind of a cop-out, since that’s a straight-up French loanword. “Soften” would be better. Or “often,” if not for the fact that it’s so commonly mispronounced.

• @Dicska@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              44 months ago

True! I just remembered that there was a way to make the whole word silent but didn’t remember the T bit so I looked it up. This was the first example. Soften is much better!

• IndiBrony
      link
      fedilink
      English
      54 months ago

I remember this one! They’re was another one as well which I’ve sadly forgotten. I believe I tried to make a couple up myself once upon a time.

• @oktux@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        104 months ago

Both Oxford English Dictionary and Merriam-Webster agree that “nitch” was the correct pronunciation in both British and American English until very recently. You already linked Merriam-Webster, so here’s O.E.D:

N.E.D. (1907) gives only the pronunciation (nitʃ) /nɪtʃ/ and the pronunciation /niːʃ/ is apparently not recorded before this date. H. Michaelis & D. Jones Phonetic Dict. Eng. Lang. (1913), and all editions of D. Jones Eng. Pronouncing Dict. up to and including the fourteenth edition (1977) give /nɪtʃ/ as the typical pronunciation and /niːʃ/ as an alternative pronunciation. The fifteenth edition (1991) gives /niːʃ/ in British English and /nɪtʃ/ in U.S. English.

(N.E.D is the original name of the O.E.D. “/nɪtʃ/” is pronounced “nitch” and /niːʃ/ is pronounced “neesh”.)

• @Cypher@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          24 months ago

Australians pronounce is as kaysh which Ive always used, and I was horribly annoyed by Americans pronouncing it cash.

I was even more annoyed when I learned that cash is the “correct” way to pronounce it!

• tiredofsametab
          link
          fedilink
          14 months ago

It varies by region at least in the US based on a few years of doing service desk work. Listening to YouTubers, it seems a bit all over the place as well.

• @GentlemanLoser@ttrpg.network
      link
      fedilink
      34 months ago

Fun fact i lost a regional spelling bee because of those exact words. I should have asked for usage example but I was like 11 and terrified

• @agent_flounder@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    3 months ago

For me it isn’t “some” word it is “many, many” words.

charcuterie (shar-KOO-terr-ee) (TIL)

potable (POH-tah-bull)

prerogative (preh-ROG-ah-tiv) – wait, wat? Damn. I say it (pur-OHG-ah-tiv)

preternatural (pree-ter-NAT-chur-al)

remuneration (reh-myoo-ner-AY-shun) – I’m not admitting how I say it lol

surprise - let’s just say I spelled it suprise for ages. sigh

victual (vittle) - wait, that’s how you spell it??

Indefatigable (IN-dih-FA-tih-gə-bl) not in-dee-fa-TEEG-able

Primer: \PRIMM-er\ – small book / short informative piece of writing. (Brits can use long-i for both the paint undercoat and the book).

Mischievous: \MISS-chuh-vuss\ though mis-CHEE-vee-us is a non standard alternate pronunciation.

Interlocutor: \in tuhr LOCK you tore. I had no idea how to pronounce this so I never said it.

I think some “mispronunciations” are down to regional pronunciation. Like, I say miniature as MIN-ih-chure by habit though I’m well aware of how it’s spelled and “should” be pronounced. I swear that’s how I heard it growing up.

Maybe it isn’t regional and it is just me. That would explain some things lol.

And uh, yeah I have a bunch more, some I know but am forgetting at the moment. Undoubtedly I mispronounce many more while having no idea. What must people think of me? Lol

• @RvTV95XBeo@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      104 months ago

Look, I was on board until you started throwing out made up words like preternatural, victual, and indefatigable, then I knew you were pulling my leg.

• @Obi@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      54 months ago

Looks like you’re mainly struggling with words of french origin, which is fair, the language is fucked up.

• Jojo
      link
      fedilink
      34 months ago

I’m American and have never heard “prim-er” I’ve always heard “prime-er”.

I say miniture when it’s an adjective like a smallish thing, but mini-a-ture when I’m using it as a noun, like the pieces used in tabletop gaming.

• @samus12345@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      4 months ago

victual (vittle)

I knew that “vittle” was from the word “victual,” but I never knew that they were actually pronounced the same!

Mischievous: \MISS-chuh-vuss\ though mis-CHEE-vee-us is a non standard alternate pronunciation.

I hate that alternate pronunciation. How do you get “vee-us” from “vous”?

• @iTzCharmander@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      24 months ago

The only time I have actually heard someone use indefatigable is in the Monty python, where they intentionally pronounce it wrong

• @Poik@pawb.social
      link
      fedilink
      14 months ago

/prəˈrɒgətɪv/ Huh. I guess usually when a schwa and a rhotic is involved, my dialect drops it. I pronounce it /prˈrɒgətɪv/ which could be romanized to pur-ROH-guh-tiv. But there’s no actual separation between the u and the r there.

• @agent_flounder@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        24 months ago

Interesting. I find the combination of rhotic - schwa - rhotic rather awkward. That could explain why it is commonly mispronounced.

• thisisbutaname
        link
        54 months ago

Even that is an approximation, I don’t think English has the Italian gn sound, which is the same as Spanish ñ.

I can’t think of any way to spell it that’d lead to a precise pronunciation, or any English word that contains that specific sound.

• @CoggyMcFee@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          4 months ago

I mean, this word does have an English pronunciation that is distinct from the Italian pronunciation, which follows English phonology.

• thisisbutaname
            link
            24 months ago

Of course, I just found it interesting there’s no equivalent sound

link
              fedilink
              edit-2
              4 months ago

Re-reading I can see you weren’t actually claiming English speakers needed to use the Italian pronunciation. Some people do claim that so I just kind of continued my lifelong argument with those people :)

I agree that basic sounds from one language that don’t exist in another language are interesting.

• thisisbutaname
                link
                24 months ago

I understand your point and admit my comment could definitely be interpreted that way.

I could be a dick about it and demand people learn to pronounce it the way us Italians do, but then I’d also have to start pronouncing every English loan word perfectly and with a correct English accent while speaking Italian, and you can do that without sounding like a pretentious asshole, so I won’t.

link
                  fedilink
                  edit-2
                  4 months ago

It’s funny that we call these words “loanwords” that we “borrow”. That implies they don’t belong to our language and that we don’t have the right to modify them however we want; it even implies that eventually we’ll return them to their language of origin. It would be much more accurate to say these words have been acquired, incorporated, or assimilated. That’s what languages actually do with words they get from other languages.

Personally, I enjoy the organic nature of the exchange of words between languages. Different languages and cultures treat foreign words differently. Some try to stick as close to the original pronunciation as possible, and some happily alter the word. This can even be handled differently by the same language and culture at a different period of time. For example, in English we have the words “gender” and “genre”, both borrowed from the same French word at different times. The older one is pronounced in an English-sounding way and the newer one is pronounced as close to the French way as possible. I find this kind of stuff very amusing.

• 🇰 🔵 🇱 🇦 🇳 🇦 🇰 ℹ️
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    4 months ago

Worcestershire.

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiasis.

I must be pronouncing them right enough for voice to text to understand me because I certainly cannot spell those.