Have a good day!

• danwritesbooks@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

Sherlock Dan has solved the Case of the Crumbly Bread.

And like most cases, the reason is pure idiocy on my behalf. I thought I put in 340ml of water. But, the measuring cup is 200ml and I put in 200ml and then another 40ml thinking I’d already had 300ml in there.

So did another one last night with the correct amount of water and the result was pure, heavenly breadiness worthy of Jesus himself.

Maths. Every. Single. Time.

• Seagoon_@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Be careful of recipes on the net and buying measuring utensils. make sure they are Aussie.

Our American friends use Freedom Units. The cups are 240 ml and the tbsps are 15ml.

• Seagoon_@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I have only stepped out my apartment once in the past 3 and 1/2 weeks and that was to go to hospital . Can’t wash my hair and have mostly been subsisting on frozen food. I missed xmas and nye with friends and fam too.

But I have recovered from depression so that is good.

I have so much to do. :)

• Baku@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

Oooo

Mildura to Mallacoota by PT, 22 hours with the longest layover being a couple of hours. I’d arrive the next day, but because the last leg of the trip leaves the same day, the entire fare would only be the price of a daily

• bananafungus@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

As someone who frequently caught the Tilt Train in QLD before moving here and had an alright time, I’m kind of curious as to what the route actually entails. Are there any swap overs, is there a decent stretch to get some sleep since it’s a 22hr journey, are there sleeper cars, and what about food options/amenities?

• Baku@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago
        • tilt train (and Qld in general) is ♥️♥️♥️

• the route is mostly coaches but does have 1 train. I’ve done the Mildura night coach a few times (which is 9 hours and arrives at 6am), plenty of people do get a nap on that but being a coach there’s no sleeping areas, best you can do is put your seat back by about 30° and hope there’s not too many potholes

The journey looks like this:

8am coach from Mallacoota to Genoa (30 mins)

Connect to a coach to lakes entrance (3hrs)

2 hour layover in lakes entrance

2:30pm coach to Tralagon (2.5hrs)

5:20pm train to Melbourne (2.5hrs)

2 hour layover in Melbourne

9:10pm coach to Mildura (9hrs)

Arrive in Mildura at 6am

The train is fairly smooth but not designed as a sleeper, so you could get a nap but it wouldn’t be great

• bananafungus@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          5 months ago

While not my thing, mostly due to the lack of trains and onboard amenities, I can see how it’d be a fun little adventure.

Not going lie, if you did do the trip I’d read a write up of your journey and how it went.

• Baku@aussie.zone
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

Getting to Malla is a bit of a trek so I probably won’t do it unless I’m spending a night there. I thought it might actually be a nice YouTube video, but I’m more of a writer than a filmer! I’ll chuck you a mention if I ever do (and I remember)!

• tombruzzo@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I had two wins today. Some code I straight copy pasted off the internet worked first go, fixing a real doozy of a work project in one swoop.

The I put Linux mint on an old laptop and the WiFi started working again. I’ll either give it to the kids to play with or I’ll play around with it as a home server.

• Seagoon_@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

ffs, reddit is so full of paid political trolls it’s painful

this place is a blessed relief

• CEOofmyhouse56@aussie.zoneOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I can never understand the anger people have on reddit. The cattiness and the back and forwards is just not for me.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Some people take things way too personally and resort to name calling and derogatory terms.

I have gone back and forwards maybe a hand full of times but I have since curbed my ways.

• Bottom_racer@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Sauce dins:

Special shout out to the lovely retiree couple who always waves from their balcony on the way back from the beach and says hello. The world needs more of that. I have no idea who they are but they always say hey which is nice.

• melbaboutown@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

I went to the art site of the youtube channel to see about the free colour wheels (it has a free stuff section). It looks legit but even with no cost and a free pdf downloadable it still wants your credit card details and address. That’s gonna be a no from me dawg. Downloading anything is already something I’m hesitant to do. The ones being sold on art supply shops online are kind of different, not how I want.

I’m sure I could make equivalents if I was determined but honestly not really seeing the point. I’ve gone off art a little bit lately and am just feeling like shit, sleeping all the time.

• MeanElevator@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Go do a blood test 5 minutes before opening time. Notice there’s already 10 people in front of me. Go get a coffee and croissant. Will fast another day.

• MeanElevator@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Got meetings all morning today and probably wouldn’t make it without food until the end. I’ll try again tomorrow or Friday. It’s not urgent, just wanted to knock it on the head today if possible.

• Rusty Raven @aussie.zoneM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

A blood test is #2 on my To Do List tomorrow. I will be there fairly early and expect I will also run in to a bunch of people, both because before work is convenient and because the earlier you get the test done the earlier you can start eating. Hopefully it won’t take too long, but if it is too quick I’ll be early for #3 and #4 on the list and will probably end up buying coffee and cake myself just to pass the time.

link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I will be unable to make the new thread at midnight for tomorrow if somebody else could do it, that would be great.

• bull⚡@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

My parents keep taking their dog away in the caravan then realising that taking the dog with them sucks because they can’t go out anywhere together because they can’t leave the dog alone. This leads to me being asked to house/dog sit at their place, which I’ll be doing from tomorrow until Monday. Doggy is being driven home from Yarrawonga and dropped off today. Sigh.

• just_kitten@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Still not feeling great, the nausea is hanging around from god knows what, but thankfully the headache appears to have disappeared after a long sleep (got up before all my alarms! Hooray!) I’m going to try sipping a little bit of coconut water throughout the day in the hopes it eases the nausea.

Didn’t get around to re-reading Shades of Grey yesterday, BUT… to my absolute chagrin, even though Red Side Story is supposed to be released today (6 Feb), the ebook is not appearing in the app - then I call and find out that release date is based on American timezones 😑😒😔😩 So 4pm here at the very earliest. Possibly 7pm. I guess I was being naïve and overly hopeful… but still, in the absence of any other information, with digital releases/information isn’t it reasonable to think 6 Feb 2024 starts at 12:01 am in the local timezone?

Oh well, personally that works out well as I can blast through Shades of Grey now while waiting. Wrote a strongly worded feedback message anyway, about being clearer about this on the website/preorder info for next time.

• TinyBreak@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

keen to start planning my next camping trip. heck, I could even do tidal river again. Its just so nice down there.