Sometimes, I open the fridge (or a cabinet) and just see some condiment (mostly hot sauce) and realize it will dictate my diet for the next month.

Like today. I opened my bachelor/nihilist fridge and saw a bottle of Walmart steak sauce. Now, I know, I guess I must eat steak inspired meals, or ground beef inspired meals, or whatever but my favorite is over easy eggs with steak sauce. Or, any sandwich. Also, boiled potatoes, because I am a genius that hates themself. Also green vegetables.

Sriracha is similar. I see it and think, “oh, you TEASE!” and then put on a pot of rice and start blanching all my veggies.

I see some local “Louisiana Hot Sauce” in my hot sauce cabinet? Looks like I’m eating pizza for a few weeks because I love the dipping options.

I’m sure this has been a big, annoying, reddit/Lemmy monstrosity of a conversation already; I just wanted to ask what anyone else was assigned to eat by the Condiment Royal Family/Lineage/deity to obey this morning.

• gregorum@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Chipotle mayo tells me to do scary things. That’s why I stick to regular mayo.

• GoodandPlenty@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Every time I open the fridge and see Sweet Baby Ray’s I have to fight the urge not to squirt some directly into my mouth. Does that count?

• cheesymoonshadow@lemmings.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

My husband used to love Sweet Baby Ray’s but now he says he prefers City Barbecue Original. Just throwing it out there in case you wanted to try it.

• OceanSoap@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I love it too. I make a big batch of boiled chicken breasts, then rip them to shreads and cover them with a whole bottle of Sweet Baby Ray’s. Mix it all up and I have Shredded BBQ chicken for lunch for a week. Just the best.

• MrsDoyle@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

These two:

mild... or is it?

hot.... or is it?

One is hot, one is mild. It’s a lottery whether I can remember the right word in Hungarian when I open the fridge.

• lolola@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I’m on a jammin’ jelly kick right now. Jam on toast, jam in oatmeal, jam in yogurt, jam on… well, that’s about it.

I don’t get triggered just by opening the fridge tho. Usually it’s like “hey I haven’t had this in a while” and I eat it nonstop for like a week until I’m sick of it, then don’t touch it again for a few months. Nutella is currently on the hate list.

• Mouselemming@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I’m influenced, but have a short attention span. So I might look in the fridge and see a condiment and make a whole meal around it, but then I’m done for awhile. Unless it’s something that expires, then bingeing is required to avoid waste.

• intensely_human@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I will always remember fondly my days in the Savannah, serving under Colonel Mustard. It left a great impression on me, like the burn marks on a frankfurter. They’re on my upper right arm, because the Colonel thought I was one of the enemy one night while he was in his cups and sought to grill me. Well, he certainly gave me the third degree I’ll give him that. Yes, yes, I remember my days in the sweltering heat, in the Savannah. Under the command of Colonel Mustard.

Some may ask where I got these lines. It was Colonel Mustard, in the Savannah, with the potato masher.

• stealth_cookies@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I have a bunch of spicy condiments and when I need gear I always open the fridge and my though process is whether any of them will work better than the chili oil I already know I’m going to end up using.

• Ashtear@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Wish I had this problem. I’ll do something like open the fridge, see my big jar of beni shoga, and get annoyed because I can’t think of a way to use it that sounds good.

• ericbomb@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

Never thought about it, but there is cheese sauce that whenever I open it up, it gets used until its gone like instantly. Every meal is rated on if the cheese sauce can be used.

Basically any sauce for me. I open a jar of pasta sauce to use part of it? Every meal I consider if I can use it.

• cheesymoonshadow@lemmings.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I’m the opposite of you. I have several different sauces because I buy them “just in case” or because it sounds tasty and I’ve never tried it. They line a shelf and a tray in my fridge and a shelf in my cupboard. Sometimes I use them and it’s awesome, sometimes I’ll even use up a bottle, but most of the time they end up expiring and I throw them out.

Hot sauce is the exception. We always use up our hot sauces. In fact, I feel obligated to recommend a kickass hot sauce I just recently discovered:

Gindo’s Truffle Parmesan hot sauce

Go get yourself a bottle. Best hot sauce I’ve ever had. Not that I’m a connoisseur or anything but I can’t imagine a flavor to top this one.

• Underwaterbob@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Usually cheese. It’s expensive in Korea if you want something other than processed neon orange slices. If I happen to have a block of something nice I paid way too much for on a whim, I’ll definitely plan a few meals around it.

• RBWells@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Yes!

The burrito shop near us has this insanely spicy, insanely delicious red sauce, if I have that I am making food simply as a platform for it, until it is gone. It’s so good.

Pork fu when I notice it I will make extra rice just so I can have leftover rice with egg, chili paste, pork fu.

Not steak sauce, and I am not swayed by Sriracha, but yes some condiments will dominate my food for awhile because when I eat them once I want them again.

• GluWu@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I’ve never tried ranch dressing/dip before, I’m a spicy person. But I recently tried some, liked it, so I got a bottle. I’m pretty much putting it on anything dipable right now. It is really good. But I need to buy a bottle of painfully hot sauce, I need spicy.