• Jo Miran@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

I suffer from chronic and sometimes severe insomnia. About ten years ago something triggered a “severe” episode and it refused to let up. After about two months of ~90 minutes of light sleep per 24 hour period, my mind began to shatter. I won’t get into details here about how bad it got, but I can totally see how someone could accidentally put a raw chicken in the crib and the baby in the oven.

• FriendOfElphaba@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          5 months ago

I also suffer from insomnia - I regularly get 3 hours of sleep per night, and rarely get more than 6 (rarely as in 1-2 times per month). For a week and a half or so, though, after a death in the family, I was getting between 0 and a half hour per night, with obviously no deep sleep.

I developed severe ataxia (I couldn’t walk without a cane), I lost the ability to speak coherently and it would take me minutes to form a sentence. I couldn’t follow conversations, and my appetite decreased to the point where I was down to about 50-100 calories per day (eg, I could sometimes manage a can of coke).

When your brain starts to shut down, things really go south pretty fast. I managed to kickstart things using those meal substitute drinks (which I’d consume by chugging it in one go), and eventually my eating and normal 3-6 hour sleep pattern came back, but I was probably about 24-48 hours away from needing an ambulance.

Luckily I live with my partner and although I put them into a panic, I didn’t have to manage the house/pets and just took sick leave from work. Even after going back, it took some time to return to my normal level of working. At the peak, I would have been absolutely incapable of operating if I lived alone.

• SoylentBlake@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

When my insomnia hits it’s days of zero sleep… Like I see the 3 hours of sleep and I immediately (and unfairly) dismiss that you have insomnia, I’m just like, “bro, but you ARE getting sleep”).

As I got my things under control I pivoted to Polyphasic sleep anyway. 1 30min nap every 6hrs and I absolutely adore it. Extra exertion or any kind of injury will warrant more rest, but then, thats resting with a purpose.

• The Snark Urge@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

My god. Having a kid and only getting a few hours per night for half a year drove me to the brink, it’s genuinely chilling to imagine what you’ve been through. I hope you’re sleeping more now.

• cynar@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

We got the “don’t shake the baby” talk at the hospital. It was extremely over the top and patronising. It made a lot more sense later however. What was obvious and extremely patronising when rested and alert, barely cut through the fog, once sleep exhaustion kicks in. I can fully understand how parents can shake their baby to death, with no ill intent.

A baby in the oven sounds bad, but I can see it happening, under the wrong circumstances, with the wrong person.

(Oh, and my daughter made it to almost 2 before reliably sleeping through the night. The sleep deprivation was hellish.)

• The Snark Urge@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 months ago

We had a good run of keeping a solid bedtime ritual between 6 months and 3 years where ours would sleep through the night. Then we found out our kid is a morning person with ADHD. 🪦

• cynar@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                5 months ago

We’ve both got ADHD, so I definitely feel for you. Thankfully, our daughter seems to be more of a night owl. Not perfect, but a lot easier to cope with than an ADHD lark would be!

• Drusas@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Mental illness or drugs could definitely cause this. She could be lying, but she might not be.

• bobs_monkey@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

If I had to guess, the mother had to have been high on something. How the hell does someone mistake an oven for a crib?

• DigitalTraveler42@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

Love how people always jump straight to drugs, but there’s a variety of mental illnesses both permanent and temporary that could cause a mother to do this.

• squirmy_wormy@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          5 months ago

Are you suggesting people should assume postpartum depression/psychosis when they see stories like this?

What quick conclusion should people arrive at in your opinion

• Evkob@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

I’d wait for relevant information before arriving at a conclusion, but that’s just me.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            5 months ago

People should stop being dumb af and wait until we have all of the information, but this is also on journalism too since there’s so much emphasis on “if it bleeds it leads” and other reasons to pump out an incomplete story, they should emphasize on accuracy instead and make a bigger deal out of retractions and corrections, especially in this age of disinformation and propaganda.

• squirmy_wormy@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              5 months ago

I’m with you 100%, but if we take a journey in the real world for a second, I’d appreciate an answer to my question.

Also, as an aside, if you hear of a baby dying from being put into an oven mistakenly - what is your raw reaction as a human? Do you just say “oh goobers.” Or do you start poking at how this could happen? If you do start to poke, who or what do you poke first and why?

• Evkob@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                5 months ago

My reaction is “how fucking awful” and this would be my reaction regardless of how the baby came to be in the oven. What other reaction do you expect people to have? Why are you seemingly equating waiting to be properly informed with not caring about the subject?

We’re on a comment thread on Lemmy, we’re not involved in investigating this case. I don’t see why we’d be “poking” around.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                5 months ago

Like the other commenter I think “how fucking awful” then read the story, then wait for more details when the details are lacking.

Again, in this age of disinformation and propaganda you have to exercise some discipline and critical thinking, and not jump to conclusions, also this is the real world, and people in the real world need to gain some discipline and critical thinking abilities, because it seems far too few of us have those abilities. I mean ffs we could find out tomorrow that this whole thing was an AI generated article that didn’t really happen, just like how the recent “toothbrush botnet hack” story that went viral this week was fake.

• girlfreddy@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                5 months ago

Being snoopy so you can feed something inside of you is silly at best. If that’s all you’re after go read a mystery novel.

• andyburke@fedia.io
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                5 months ago

Are you the lead investigator on this? Please do let us know what you find since you actually have access to the necessary evidence.

Otherwise, tf are you on about?

• douglasg14b@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

You make a great counter example of what not to do. So, none, they shouldn’t be making a quick conclusion on a complex topic. Like the above comment…

• Melkath@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            5 months ago

How about no quick conclusion?

I have never in my life heard of roasting a baby outside Hansel and Gretel.

I have, however, heard about a LOT of drug use.

That would suggest we have an extremely complex situation here with no “quick” answer.

I would guess this one is mostly sleep depervation and poor diet.

Tuna casseroles are cheap, but they are not very nourishing. But that only begins to explain this one.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 months ago

Why do people keep assuming the crib would be in the kitchen? Or that a crib is the only place we put babies? There’s basinets, bounce chairs, high chairs, play pens, strollers, car seats, and all kinds of other things where a parent can put a baby while they do things around the house, like cooking and cleaning in the kitchen.

• Jo Miran@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

This is how you tell people you have never been severely sleep deprived without telling people you’ve never been severely sleep deprived.

• starman2112@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

You could guess a multitude of things. My money is sleep deprivation. A lack of sleep can really fuck some people up. Different people have different tolerances for it.

• jaschen@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I’m not giving this lady excuses but I also almost killed my baby on the 3rd day. All the books say never sleep with a newborn because you could accidentally lay and suffocate your baby. So I avoided the bed but instead I was holding my son in my arms while on the couch and passed out from exhaustion and I found him stuck between me and the couch. I’m so lucky that he could breath and I wasn’t completely crushing him.

Since that day he has never slept in the same bed with me and always slept in a crib or his own bed.

• cynar@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

It’s also worth noting, you can get bed attached cribs. You can’t fit in, so you can’t roll onto the baby. At the same time, it’s possible to lie down, skin to skin. Best of both worlds.

• jaschen@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Ya, that’s what we did after. I think it was called cosleeper or something along those lines.

I woke up once with my hand/arm on my son but it wasn’t enough to suffocate him. I was patting him when he woke up and then left my hand there.

Thank you for the suggestions. I’m sure other new parents will appreciate that.

• sleepmode@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I took a job with a multiple hour commute. I was miserable and alone in an unfamiliar state. I was working 16 hour days just to keep the place from imploding after they laid off the rest of my team with zero warning. Had just broken up with my girlfriend. Things were bad. That coupled with the insomnia led to me basically not sleeping at all aside from naps for days on end.

We got hit with a major storm and after 5 days of no power or heat my parents suggested I drive to their house. It was about 2 hours away. I jumped at the chance to get out of that hellhole. Hopped in my car, thought I was a little sleepy but I’d done longer drives many times before. 2 hours was nothing… right?

I started dozing off about an hour in. Couldn’t keep my eyes open. The lines on the road were hypnotizing me. I remember cranking the A/C to max even though it was freezing, turning the radio up and even slapping myself in the face to try and wake myself up. Nothing worked and I started getting scared and looking for a rest area. There were none and there wasn’t a safe spot to pull off. I thought I could make it as I had ”only” 20 minutes of travel left. Nope.

I started microsleeping. Though it’s possible I was doing it the entire time and didn’t even realize it. Nothing would keep me awake. At all. Until I woke up to my car bouncing off a concrete divider on the left side of the highway when I had been in the right lane before. I remember hearing horns blaring and people gunning it to get away from me. I was definitely awake then. I drove home the rest of the way white-knuckled, eyes big as saucers. Couldn’t believe nothing worse happened. I felt like such an asshole putting myself and others in danger like that.

So I can see this happening. Ataxia is no joke. It will creep up on you slowly. You might not even realize you’re microsleeping ever. And hers was obviously much worse than mine. If you think you have insomnia or sleep apnea, tell your doctor.

• friend_of_satan@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

In Utah they have highway signs that say something like “Drowsy driving is worse than drunk driving. Pull over if you’re tired.”

• sleepmode@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

We do as well. I remember kinda scoffing at them before my incident. Had to learn the hard, stupid and expensive way it’s definitely true.

• SoylentBlake@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

My insomnia got so bad at one point that from my POV I started blacking out for several hours at a time. I’d look at the clock, blink, and the time would go from like 3pm to 11pm instantly. In reality my brain was just too tired to register anything that happened to me to memory, even the memory of existence in the moment; just…not there. I was my same old self, according to my wife, which I believe, I mean, who the hell else could I be? I don’t live duplicitous, I’m not worried I might have said or done something contrary to me.

It happened one night where I had gone out to dinner with my wife’s grandparents = no memory of the events at all. I drove, apparently…and that’s when I made the earliest appointment I could to get sleeping pills.

Lack of sleep is no joke. It was like someone else was living my life. the highlight reel parts at that. I’d snap back while playing Civ or having to go to work.

• ReverendIrreverence@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Being so tired you open a door and slide a child into an oven thinking it is a crib is one thing. Doing that and then turning a knob to turn the oven on is another.

• ghen@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

I have never been less intelligent in my adult life than on night 7 of an acid reflux constant screaming night that never ends. That goes on for 6 weeks after birth or longer sometimes

• pete_the_cat@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

But still an oven and a crib are completely different things, you have to open an oven and then close it. Also ovens typically have racks in them, which would be difficult to fit a baby in with those in.

This sounds like straight malice or insanity.

• douglasg14b@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          5 months ago

Sleep depravation is insanity…

The comment you replied to made is pretty clear how sleep deprived a new parent can become.

Some people are more or less susceptible to it, for various reasons. If I get <7h of sleep for 5-7 days in a row my personality starts to change, and that’s not exactly severe sleep depravation…

A newborn parent might just be getting 2-4h a day, which is a disabling amount of sleep depravation. And no, your friend doesn’t survive on 3h/n, if they do they should be a research subject, individuals with SSS are genetically dispositioned to be able to sleep <= 6.5 hours per night. They’re literally a special breed of people, and 3h/n would be an actual marvel

• sep@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

Sleep deprivation is a few notches above insanity. You would gladly kill someone if it ment you could sleep on their corps.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            5 months ago

That’s only the “I haven’t slept at all in nearly a week” level, and I’m not talking like an hour a night.

I’ve worked 12 hour shifts before commuting 1-1.5 hours each way, along with having lifelong insomnia, and half of those shifts were 7 PM to 7 AM, so I know the toll it takes on you. 4 hours or less of shitty quality sleep after working a 12 hour day and being awake for 16-18 hours, off hours (going to sleep at 9 or 10 AM and waking up at 4:30 PM) definitely takes a toll on you.

My brother is a machine and sleeps like 3-5 hours a night, commutes hours each way, works as an electrician for like 10-16 hours, and then would come home and take care of his daughter (who just turned 4, he’s held the same job for years).

I can’t think of a funny joke/pun since it’s 2:30 AM and I’m waiting for my 20 mg of Ambien to kick in, but your typo of corpse without the e made me think of you killing a group of people (a corps, pronounced Core, because, French) just to sleep on their corpses 😂

• sleepmode@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 months ago

If you don’t regularly get enough restful sleep you can start microsleeping and you wont be aware of it. I’d have a stern talk with your brother about that since he does dangerous work as an electrician and has a young daughter.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                4 months ago

I’ve tried to but he’s stubborn as hell and doesn’t listen, he’s 4 years older than me. He breaks my balls about relying on Ambien for sleep. His opinion is “if I’m fucked up I wanna feel fucked up” (as in “something is wrong”) and I retorted “do you want to feel that way for the next 40-50 years when it can be remedied?” and his only response was " you got me there… "

• LemmyKnowsBest@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Maybe mom was sleep-deprived and was about to cook a turkey the same time she was taking care of the baby and maybe she put the turkey in the crib…

😳

• TaintPuncher@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve been exhausted and later discovered I put the milk by the coffee machine and the coffee in the fridge. Same premise, slightly less terrible outcome.

• Lupus108@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

I like to drink a coffee and a glass of juice in the morning. I have put juice instead of milk in my coffee more often than I would admit.

They’re not even in the same packaging, one is a tetra pack, the other is a tall glass bottle.

• scoobford@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

No actual facts yet, so this claim shouldn’t be reported as fact.

On one hand, I’ve done similar things many times. Fortunately, I was not caring for children at the time.

On the other hand, the more likely scenario is that mom was dealing with some mental health stuff and did it purposely.

Either way, I hope she gets some mental health treatment. She obviously will need it after this, regardless of how it happened.

• Blackmist@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

The statement did not offer an explanation about how that mistake was made.

Heroin.