• elbucho@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Protect him from what? The worst thing in that kid’s life right now is that he’s got a shitty dad.

• Bennettiquette@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

i have lowkey hoped for years that some time after his dad dies, barron releases a masterful expose on how his firsthand experiences shaped absolute nihilism in his perspective towards everything. how this all consuming desire to feel something-anything at all-ultimately motivated him to seek a profound journey for truth and the fundamental value of life. detailing his account all the way through self analysis, acknowledgement, acceptance and actualization and healing himself while helping others to do the same.

i have zero reason to believe this will happen but i’m rooting for you, man.

• vexikron@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

To me the thing that best illustrates the insanity is that the assault rifles look to be some kind of AK platform, but with extended barrels, after market barrel shroud/housing/handguard, probably aftermarket grip, the tell tale scope mount required for mounting a high magnification long range optic on an AK type of assault rifle and then a high powered optic.

So… ok. An AK 47 or AKM and basically all of its Eastern Block variants fire 7.62 x 39 and generally speaking have an effective range of 300 meters.

An AK 74 and its Eastern Block variants fire 5.45 x 45 and have an effective range of about 400 meters.

Now… ok. We’ve got extended barrels. That increases effective range, but probably not by more than around 100 meters for both of those.

For comparison, consider what most Americans would probably these days call a designated marksman rifle, not even a true sniper rifle, that is also of Soviet origin, the SVD.

It does not have as much magnification on its standard optics as these genuine sniper rifle optics they are mounting on assault rifles.

EDIT: If my memory is correct, the stock SVD scope from the 80s has a magnification of 4x and i think it might be up to 6x with newer SVD compatible scopes.

It fires 7.62 x 54r and has an effective range of 1200 meters.

What these goobers here have done is made a weapon that while yes you can make a weapon like this by modifying either a legally manufactured/importable semi auto AK47 or AK74 based design, or just generally illegally acquiring an old real one thats full auto capable… it makes no sense.

Putting a high powered telescopic sight as indicated by the silhouette on a weapon that is not capable of accuracy at ranges even approaching one half of the maximum magnification of such a sight is a giant pointless waste of money.

It also makes the weapon more heavy, more unwieldy, and more acquire a target at or below the actual effective range of the weapon.

Unless you keep the magnification levels far below what the optic is capable of. In which case… why would you use a tremendously expensive optic capable of something like 12x magnification when 2x 4x is all you will ever actually need for a weapon with that range?

Its basically a totally absurd way to modify an AK, that only makes sense if you are more into tricking out / blinging your gun than you are into having a gun that actually works well.

• Toastypickle@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I feel like you’re reading into this way more than is necessary. These are the types of people that drive jacked up trucks with truck nuts and led lights all over and never hauled anything in their lives. You know, morons.

• palebluethought@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Yeah that’s kinda his point. Their posturing around guns and whatever other machismo is based on no actual experience at all, it’s just LARPing

• vexikron@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

Basically yeah, these are the kind of people who act big and tough and scary, as if theyre all ex special forces members with serious tactical kinetic force multiplying knowledge sets…

…but in actuality theyre more like insufferable gun enthusiast fan boys who have spent waaaay too much time reading and watching firearms related content, instead of actually using firearms, to the point that they come up with an overcomplicated and nonsensical ideology that gives their otherwise sad selves something to cling to and make a core part of their personality.

• vexikron@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

Well Im not reading into this at all.

When one is said to be reading too much into something, that means that one is making conclusions that might be a bit too strong or a bit too extreme to be supported by the available evidence, or the referenced scenario or story.

Thats not what I am doing here, what I am doing is using my knowledge of firearms to explain an absurdity. I am not really concluding anything other than these people are absurd, heres another reason why.

Many people enjoy lengthy explanations of absurdity in detail so that one can understand the true depth or nature of that absurdity.

If you are not a person who enjoys that, that’s fine I guess?

• Maalus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

It’s basically a G3 or something similar, no need for this senseless post at all

• vexikron@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

G3 mags don’t curve, dont need the tell tale kind of scope mount I mentioned, so youre just factually wrong here.

• vexikron@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Even if it was, it still doesnt make any sense to slap a 2 to 4 thousand dollar high powered scope on an assault rifle with roughly the same effective range as an AK47, AKM or AK74, for all the same reasons.

• Wogi@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I mean it’s more politically appropriate to cut the heads off kings…

• Maven (famous)@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Um actually… The only time age matters is when Joe Biden old! Hahaha!

Anyway thank you for coming to my Ted talk on why we should eliminate the age of consent.

(This is obviously a joke)

• RememberTheApollo_@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

What is this called? Where someone says “we will defend A against B!” when there is no threat at all to B and it’s a completely false and manufactured thought?

Is there a word or phrase for manufacturing a lie about something like this? Making up a false threat or lie about something to take a stand against?

Edit: Apparently a specific descriptor doesn’t exist? One needs to be made. A made up statement of false threat to something created to motivate defense against said nonexistent threat, done so for political purposes. Terms with similarity to “false flag” or “crisis actor”.

• NounsAndWords@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Fear mongering I think, with an added level of in-group virtue signalling.

The Bad People will try to take A from you (because they are bad) but we are Good and will defend A.

They have the added bonus of never having to actually do anything since the threat is manufactured.

• mojofrododojo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

the idea that a billionaire former president’s child would need a bunch of ‘bikers and friends of bikers’ to secure his child because the secret service wasn’t capable… phew…

what the fuck are they smoking, plastic? whatever it is it’s giving them a bad trip - somehow it’s always about their persecution right - trump is threatened or his kid is under threat - when actually no, that’s not the case at all…

conservatives cling to trump because he’s the best they’ve got. Not in any tangible, qualitative factor that was relevant to governing a country, no, he’s the one that speaks up for the little racist, says the things that no one else will say because it’s racist, the one who echos hitler and klansmen - he’s their guy. and if they don’t get their way they’ll murder everyone else.

https://youtu.be/7txp_0Fzy4w