• Neve8028@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

It had some really rough moments intertwined with some really well done moments. Overall it’s fine. The shots of the cities and some of the fights were beautiful. I also really liked some of the zuko and iroh backstory that wasn’t in the original show. Some of the dialogue was very clunky and they mashed up a bunch of stories into the same episode which felt weird and didn’t totally work. I enjoyed watching it for the most part. It was never going to be as good as the original so I think going in with that expectation helped.

• Stoney_Logica1@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

Which isn’t really possible so I don’t know why they keep investing money into trying. Just make more animated shows set in that universe.

• drivepiler@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Well… Paramount, which owns Nickelodeon, allows Netflix to make an adaptation and makes a fat check off the IP. They don’t really lose any money either way. The good news is that they’ve given the creators of Avatar their own studio now and tons of new animation projects are in the works.

• kratoz29@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

Which makes it more obvious that this was a cash injection to boost the Avatar-verse.

• NeatNit
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

I loved it. And I was (am) a fan of the animated show. I think the adaptation was creative, approachable, and overall excellent. Fans forget that there’s a big potential audience that isn’t interested in watching a cartoon, just the fact that it’s live action gives so many more people an opportunity to see this world.

First episode was shit though

• TheCannonball@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

Yeah first episode was shit.

I liked how they bypassed Sokka’s sexism and made it more about his insecurities with his dad and what it means to be a man.

I liked how Katara’s fight with Paku and her ability to lead all of the female waterbenders made her a master in his eyes which lead to him telling the teens to find Master Katara.

I like how all the previous Avatars have baggage about doing things alone or being vicious. It forces Aang to find his own path instead of following someone elses path. He no longer needs to live up to the previous Avatars, he just needs to be his own Avatar.

• NineMileTower@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

Dude, Sokka’s sexism was not even a plot point and it was touched upon BARELY in two episodes in the animated series. And they did touch on it in the show when he was mansplaining how to throw his boomerang and Suki showed him up.

• TheCannonball@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            4 months ago

It’s the entire plot point of the Kyoshi Warriors. Take out Sokka’s sexism and there’s no need for a group of female warriors. Nothing would have been lost from the episode that pushed Aang further along his path.

How Netflix addressed it was about Sokka feeling inadequate as a man and seeing all these women who could do the things he wished he could. So he shyly and politely asked to be taught.

It’s a good change.

• Lucidlethargy@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

Oh man, I thought it was incredibly bad. Netflix is aware of this as well, since they’ve been writing thousands of fake reviews on IMDB since it released.