• pete_the_cat@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Well, it’s also Manhattan where the only time that you make eye contact with someone is to silently negotiate where opposing foot traffic is going.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

And, knowing it’s New York, if I noticed him, I would have probably seen him and thought, “this guy looks like Henry Cavill and is trying to make a few bucks in Times Square with tourists” Which is kind of a thing in Times Square.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

Also, you’d have to be pretty young to think Henry Cavill when you think of Superman instead of Christopher Reeve or even Dean Cain.

If he was alive and I saw Christopher Reeve standing next to a Superman sign, I’d be a hell of a lot more likely to recognize him.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

But I’m betting Henry’s girlfriend (if he has one) would have recognized him. Even if he wore glasses.

• Mango@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I would have.

My biggest gripe with the Clark Kent disguise is that I think it’s truly impossible for someone who’s confident and strong to pretend they aren’t. They’re in the wrong head space for making all of those signals.

• Tolstoshev@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

My wife points this out every time. His whole demeanor and posture changes when he puts on the glasses.

• VindictiveJudge@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

The hair changes with the costume, too. Neatly combed to one side as Clark, swept to the other with the iconic spit curl as Supes.

• helpImTrappedOnline@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

All of the “clark kent” level disguises are completly immersion breaking.

Instead “ooo she doesn’t know he’s the awkward newspaper guy she’s in love with” its “my god woman, are you blind? All he did was take off his glasses and put on tights yet you can’t regonize the man”

• Echo Dot@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

She just has undiagnosed face blindness. So she just goes off of people’s behaviors, and since Clark has never turned into superman in front of her she doesn’t realize it’s the same person.

• EmperorHenry
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Clark Kent actually does a lot to hide the fact that he’s superman.

He changes his posture to make himself look shorter, the glasses he wears are very thick and they distort the image of his eyes quite a bit.

He also wears multiple layers of clothing to hide his physique and if anyone ever finds out how ripped he is and they start investigating him, he has a set of weights in his apartment and upon looking into his past, “oh, he grew up on a farm!”

• LazerFX@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

This is why I loved the Christopher Reeve characterization… His Clark acted differently, walked into doors, bumbled, stuttered, somehow seemed smaller and less characterful. Every time someone says, “oh stick some glasses on and he’ll be unrecognisable” I think of those parts, and… Yeah, just about possible.

• hactar42@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

They made a joke about that in the Scooby Doo and Krypto Too movie. When Velma takes off her glasses neither Lois or Jimmy recognized her. It was corny and tongue-in-cheek, I loved it.

• Cosmic Cleric@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

We talking regular everyday glasses, or Groucho Marx type glasses, with the bulging eyes on springs?

Because that makes a big difference.

• tjhart85@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

This scene for me (you can skip to 1:20 or so) showed that it’s at least feasible, but it definitely takes a lot more than glasses, which is where many of the non Christopher Reeve’s portrayals fall flat. They always play Superman in both roles but it’s just Superman with glasses.

Christopher Reeve on the other hand showed that Clark Kent is the perfect disguise when portrayed correctly and it’s at least understandable that especially the people that know Clark would never suspect for a second that he’s Superman because they’ve never seen anything but a quiet, weak and easily frightened man who is nothing like Superman at all! Superman is also way taller!

Watching him stand up straight and put some confidence on his face, voice and transform into Superman over the course of 10ish seconds was one thing, but watching him deflate back into Kent in under 2 seconds was another altogether! That shift was jarring for me and showed just how good the disguise was and how good of an actor Reeve was.