Or does the operating system or ‘WeChat’ immediately report it to the government?

Maybe someone here can say something about this. Gladly also about ‘Briar’.

• Neodosa@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Of course you can use it, don’t be silly! The government doesn’t actively monitor your apps or internet activity.

• Alunya𝕏ers (she/her)@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Or does the operating system or ‘WeChat’ immediately report it to the government?

As if the glorious bastion of freedom and democracy, La Estados Unidos doesn’t report anything the user does to the government.

• unexposedhazard
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Everyone know the US is doing it but are you saying that the chinese government does it too? :o

• unexposedhazard
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Bruh, i think you need to be experience getting visited by the local chinese police because you used a VPN as a tourist in a hotel.

Maybe then you would understand how retarded your comment is.

• CriticalResist8@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

that is so fucking stupid, I know like 10 people who are living in China right now who use a VPN to talk to me on Discord.

You should think more before you speak.

edit: your comment was so stupid I just went ahead and banned you too, that’s the least you deserve for damaging our brains with your takes.

• Eat_Yo_Vegetables69@lemmygrad.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Tonnes of people use VPNs to watch youtube, play games with foreigners, stream uncensored foreign movies and none of them have been disappeared as that person would’ve suggested lmao.

Funniest thing I’ve seen was when some were sharing western memes and comments were discussing the idiocy of this propaganda.

A: “wtf is this social credit thing these westerners are talking about?”

B: “Yeah they think we all have a score and we get disappeared if the score is low”

A: “And these idiots actually believe in this shit?”

C: “Well we have dumbasses that believe in the west’s lies too lol”

• unexposedhazard
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I mean if the goverment can see which apps you have installed (can they?) then they probably wouldnt like briar. Briar itself is a very good and secure project, that can still work even if the goverment shuts down internet access. So if you have the option of putting a custom operating system on your phone, then briar is a good solution for anonymous communication.

• unexposedhazard
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

The offline function is meant for emergency or large scale protest like in Hong Kong, not for normal messaging. But yes if you have for example a big chat group then anyone who is in that group will share the encrypted chats to other devices in the same chat group that are in wifi/bluetooth range or connected to the internet(also tor network).

The diagram explains it pretty well, but generally in case of a full internet blackout it works very well if you have a bunch of people close together (same building, group on the street, etc). You can also create a so called mesh of wifi networks(not connected to the internet just local network) that spans a very big area and it will work with that.

If you have internet access it works like a completely normal messenger.