• elbucho@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Given that it’s Los Angeles, that shelter could probably go for about $175,000.

• Krauerking@lemy.lol
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Man the modern hoovervilles are much more disjointed. Mostly tents and reliant on existing structures. This is that old school impressive setup, but I wonder if the police have just gotten better at deconstructing them faster and we will see a follow up of this being taken down within days.

• LesserAbe@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

When your illegal house is featured on the news safe to say it will get taken down soon. If only because officials feel pressured to take action. Sucks for the people who live there.

• OpticalMoose
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

I wonder how many offers he’s gotten for it so far.

• ouRKaoS@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

To me it’s the same type of class war as “opioid abuse disorder” vs “drug addict”.

They pretty up the language once it hits closer to home.

• 3volver@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

The housing market is a gatekept pile of shit, people getting their time stolen from them for something not as valuable as this fake fucking system makes it out to be. NIMBYism is a core part of accelerationism, let’s go NIMBY fucks.

• Ultragigagigantic@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

“There are men who, through ownership of land, are able to make others pay for the privilege of being allowed to exist and to work. These landowners are idle, and I might therefore be expected to praise them. Unfortunately, their idleness is only rendered possible by the industry of others; indeed their desire for comfortable idleness is historically the source of the whole gospel of work. The last thing they have ever wished is that others should follow their example.”

― Bertrand Russell

• Sanctus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

They’ll legalize this and call it groundbreaking while real houses sit empty

• andrew@lemmy.stuart.fun
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Sadly I doubt they’ll legalize it. It might take too much income away from the poor landlord class!

• NightAuthor@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Hopefully he can work to make it classified as a legit dwelling, and then he at least gets a bunch of eviction protections.

• Madison420@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Its on public land, they can stay there they just can’t construct permanent structure of they’re smart its built like a sledge so when they say move on they can get a couple friends and drag it to another spot and technically comply with the law.