Is there a database of sorts for these things? It seems like there should be.

• dustycups
      link
      fedilink
      229 days ago

That list was worth looking at just for some of the brands.

I had no idea Nagra made something with an IR remote.

• @DontNoodles
    link
    729 days ago

I’m setting up a media PC for my TV using refurbished hardware. The biggest pain right now is controlling the interface. I got one of those cheap keyboards with trackpads but they stopped working in a month. Reading this post makes me wonder if I can reuse one of the old IR remotes lying around in my home. Generating shortcut keys and binding them might be easy but what can be done for text/voice to text input?

• @unknowing8343OP
      link
      329 days ago

Honestly, just get a good one. They work well.

• @7eter@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        428 days ago

get one what? Is there a ready made Product?

I made my own IR-Receiver/Keyboard for my Media Center. Based on Attiny. But can’t really recommended that process to others.

• @allywilson@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      329 days ago

Raspberry Pi having HDMI HEC put an end to me using those crappy remotes, now I just use my TV remote to control Kodi running on the rpi. I think there are adapters you can buy that will do it as well.

• @DontNoodles
        link
        329 days ago

I’ll have to read up on what you mean using IR remotes to control a Pi through HDMI HEC. The computer I’m using has an DP output that I’ve used an adapter to feed to my TV HDMI. So I may not be able to use your setup. But it sounds novel and interesting so I would definitely like to learn more. Thanks.

• @allywilson@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          229 days ago

Yeah, so essentially the TV remote sends the signals down the HDMI cable to the raspberry pi to put it in its simplest terms. If you hold 0 for 3s or something (I have a Toshiba TV, so probably manufacturer specific), the remote then controls the TV the same way it does normally. I think there are HDMI CEC adapters you can buy, but the rpi has it built-in so I’ve not had to bother, I’ve been using it for about 5 years I think.

• @DontNoodles
        link
        129 days ago

I came across a reference to kdeconnect while reading related stuff but I really looked it up after your comment. I’m using Debian on my machine and am currently using free version of Remote Mouse which allows very limited actions without posting. Kdeconnect sounds like it could take care of that and more. I just hope it supports two person controlling the same PC.

This will be in complimentary to a physical button IR remote that I’m aiming to implement after this post. Thanks.

• @DontNoodles
            link
            229 days ago

Yeah, I’m not wishing for two pointers either. The current setup with Remote Mouse software allows two devices to move the single pointer at the same time but since kdeconnect software allows sharing of files and notifications from phone onto the PC, I’m not sure how connecting two devices will work. Guess I’ll figure it out as I set it up.

• @B0rax@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      029 days ago

Maybe attach a microphone directly to the PC and trigger speech to text via the remote?

For software, there might be a wrapper for whisper which does what you need.

• @DontNoodles
        link
        229 days ago

That sounds like a good approach. I’ll try and explore this. Thanks.

• Felix
    link
    fedilink
    -429 days ago

something tells me you want to get up to nefarious activities

• @MachineFab812
      link
      029 days ago

Found Justin Trudeau’s Lemmy account y’all. Let’s all point and laugh at the moron who thinks the Flipper Zero is genuinely useful for car theft!

• Felix
        link
        fedilink
        129 days ago

No I think he’s gonna fuck with peoples tvs or something.

• @MachineFab812
          link
          128 days ago

Okay, so point and laugh with me. The general direction of “Canada” will do!

• Felix
            link
            fedilink
            -128 days ago

Well naming the flipper zero isn’t a bad thing, as far as I’m concerned the flipper zero is far too streamlined so all the removed on “hacking” tiktok do shit like spam your phone with pairing requests. the bad thing Trudeau is doing(and the reason I don’t live there despite having citizenship) is taking away your God given right to own a gun for personal and property protection. The dumbass thinks he can take the guns successfully but in reality the innocent civilians only wanting to protect themselves will give their gun up to comply with the law, but the criminal with the gun is going to keep it and sell it or harm someone with it.