• Cyrus Draegur@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Trails of Cold Steel was great about this because of the journal the protagonist keeps in the game, in a literal notebook that diegetically exists. When I started playing again, all I had to do was look at the journal to have my memory jogged of what happened up to that point and what’s going on presently.

• Dagnet@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Witcher 3 had a little hint of that by giving a short recap on load but it wasn’t really enough. Would be cool if narrative focused games had recap movies that you can unlock more parts as you progress (not a big fan of reading since my memory is very visual)

• DrPop@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Previously on Witcher 3, Dandelion had sex with the wife on an important figure and is being hunted. Geralt must win a game a Gwent versus the mercenary leader to get information. There’s is a familiar scent in the air.

• prole@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Lots of games have been doing something like this or similar lately, to the point where Rise of the Ronin basically has an in-game Wiki where you can click highlighted words to jump between entries.

Final Fantasy XVI did an amazing job with their Active Lore… I do like these new features, though I hope that plenty of games still decide to eschew them, as there was something special about oldschool PS1 games and having no fucking idea what is happening or where you’re going.

Edit: Rise of the Ronin might have a decent in-game info thing, but I think I was actually thinking of Unicorn Overlord that has the wiki-style thing and it’s huge. Either way, it’s a good trend imo.

• brbposting@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

diegetic

especially : existing or occurring within the world of a narrative rather than as something external to that world

Cool thanks :)

• Cyrus Draegur@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

yeah i thought it was cool how they literally handed the protagonist the notebook and straight up said “this is how you’re going to document your assignments at the academy, also please make sure you summarize other things you learn, and lastly there are reference guides for the magitech tools you’ll be using and various combat scenarios already in it as well”. it’s neat that it’s both a menu element and a prop in the world that is interacted with in-character.

i’m glad i knew the word ‘diegetic’ to describe it :D

• OsaErisXero@kbin.run
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

And then I play for a few days and get to the same spot. And then get distracted and stop playing.

Time is a flat circle.

• chatokun@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

My issue with Mass Effect Andromeda. “Maybe it isn’t as bad as people say and I somewhat remember. Why did I stop anyway?”

Get to the same thing that lost my interest last time “Ah, right.”

• DragonTypeWyvern@literature.cafe
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

The funny thing is they set up their goofy little mystery box “collapsed advanced civilization” plot, complete with a quirky Asari researcher, then fucked the actual gameplay into the ground and wondered why no one really cared about the reveals or further mysteries.

You already did this, and now you’re making it a chore to get to the story. At least make it a nerdy Krogan or something.

I actually liked the direction the plot was going, because I’m always a sucker for an AI story, but just… Don’t do that. You needed another Mordin to get people to care, not a manic pixie dream Asari.

• grue@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I decided to play Fallout New Vegas for the first time in a while. I started it up, realized that my character is in a sewer “looking for the source of the radiation” and I have no idea why, so I closed it again and played a different game instead.

• FiniteBanjo@lemmy.today
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Honestly, it seemed pretty straightforward to me. If you’re evil but want a negligible amount of NCR reputation for some reason, kill the vault dwellers. If you’re good and don’t care about faction standings, help free them.

We’re not a bunch of unga bunga cavemen who can’t deal with the vault reactor once the survivors are freed. That’s just going to be a problem for the future settlers to handle, there is no chance of sudden starvation as long as the NCR supply lines exist and there is a vested interest in securing the dam and helios.

• roguetrick@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

That’s why I call it half hearted. If you saw actual impacts of further irradiating the drinking water and destroying the food supply of a city with refugees and breadlines, it would’ve been better.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

Ah, so half hearted as in an obvious choice. I thought you meant half hearted as in equally bad choices. I guess you’re right that the harder decision would have been a better example of the Trolley problem, but I can’t imagine it would be cooler to make.

• stufkes@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I thought that was Pyanodon. SE is good but can be frustrating with the weir pacing of the space sciences.

• AngryCommieKender@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

Endgame everything is based on random chance, to the point that Nilaus “ended” his playthrough by saying, “Well, technically I’ve won, but I’m not going to run this for however long it takes to actually get the few components I need.”

Nilaus actually finished his Pyanodon run.

• yokonzo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

They’re actually making an official space exploration expansion coming later this year

• Moneo@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

Spoiler: they didn’t

There’s an RNG feature added, a sort of rarity for crafted items. But Idk if the same dev is responsible for this feature and to me it doesn’t seem that annoying and completely optional.

• AngryCommieKender@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

They made all the endgame products based on chance. You’d set up the reaction and there was like a 96% chance you’d get nothing from it, or the wrong things. It took so long to get the right things that Nilaus gave up

link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

POV: You’ve got 8 buffs that all expire like less than a minute and before they do you get oneshot by a character that looks like a third-rate mob and serves no storyline purpose but happens to stand between you and the area you want to be in.

And you remember why you stopped here.

• giacomo@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

ff iv, earthbound, any yakuza game, my last stellaris attempt. im not starting over tho.

• Cowbee@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I absolutely suffer from restartitis, especially with Fallout, Elder Scrolls, and Borderlands, haha

• Psythik@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Or basically every game ever if you have ADHD. I’ll restart a game up to 3-4 times because it’s been a few years/months/weeks/days since I last played it, and as such I have completely forgotten the plot or even how the controls work.

My restartitis is so bad that I can count the number games I’ve completed on one hand, with multiple fingers missing. One of the reasons why I prefer multiplayer games is cause I don’t have to worry about beating them.

• londos@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Borderlands definitely. I spend an hour looking through weapon inventory trying to remember why some are better than others, or what I like about them. Then I give up and shelve it again.

• Cowbee@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I usually roll a new character when that happens! Borderlands is fun like that.

• smeg@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

This is why I try to just focus on one game at a time, if I fall out of the zone then I just won’t remember where I am, what I’m doing, or even how to play the damn game

• yumpsuit@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Renaming desktop shortcuts is a great way to leave yourself game notes if you’re an old like me.

• Ms. ArmoredThirteen@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Yeah I’ve got all kinds of tricks like that. Leaving things on the ground to spell out a reminder, if you can add custom map tags or signs I’ll do notes there, sometimes it’s having a system like “if I’m pointing at the ground it means I am not in the middle of anything important and I need to choose my next steps”

• guitarist123@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

One of my favorite features on the steam deck is the ability to take notes that sync to each game. I’ve wanted the ability to do that ever since Zero Escape included a notepad for memorizing clues.

• Katana314@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Playing a Neptunia game, and it has one core mechanic hidden behind a certain control combination press, and no menu tutorials to remind you what it is (controls menu just shows individual buttons). First world problems.

• yamanii@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

I think I had that when trying to go finish the other routes in Senran Kagura Shinobi Versus, after not playing for 2 years.

• yamanii@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

One great feature of Tales of and Trails games is that they both have a chapter summary of what you did and what you are trying to achieve now.

• Stonewyvvern@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Sucks when you want to play “that game” but the updates are gonna take another 20 minutes to download and install…by then I’ve lost my “that game” boner.