Germany’s AfD party on Wednesday banned its leading candidate from appearing at EU election campaign events, after France’s main far-right party announced a split with the Germans over a slew of scandals involving the politician.

• Opafi@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Krah, in a weekend interview with Italian newspaper La Repubblica, said that someone who had been a member of the SS paramilitary force in Nazi Germany was “not automatically a criminal”.

Totally-not-a-nazi TM

• Opafi@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

I thought calling somebody “not-a-nazi” would be okay, but guess I just gotta try to be better. Sorry, didn’t want to mess with the Grundgesetz.

• intelisense@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

I think you misunderstand me - surely being a member of an SS paramilitary group is a violation of the constitution?

• CyberEgg
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 month ago

No that’s impossible. The (there only ever was the SS, not an number of them) SS was the paramilitary arm of the NSDAP, the political party of Hitler. And it was dissolved with the Third Reich before the Grundgesetz was adopted.

• intelisense@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

It sounds like the constitution defines Nazism in narrower terms than I expected. That’s a shame.

• shapesandstuff@feddit.de
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

You seem to be misunderstanding both the quote and the comment! No offense, i can see how it could be confusing.

What Krah said was meant in a historical context. Kind of a “not all SS-members were criminals”, basically downplaying the Nazis crimes.

The commenter sarcastically called him “totally not a nazi” for that statement.

• CyberEgg
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

No, there is no definition of Nazism in the Grundgesetz.

• jmcs
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

vote for us. Our lead candidate is… We don’t talk about him. But vote for him anyway.

• Diplomjodler3@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Nazi. The missing word is Nazi, in case anyone is wondering. And people know and that is exactly why they vote for those fucks.

• jmcs
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

In the AfD they all are, the difference is that this one said the quiet part out loud.

• aasatru@kbin.earth
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Totally vote for us. We’re a bunch of na… Uhm, we don’t talk about that either. But vote for us anyway.

• manucode@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

The AfD didn’t just ban their candidate number 1 (Maximilian Krah) from campaign events but candidate number 2 (Petr Bystron) as well. He’s been accused of accepting bribes from Russia. Meanwhile, one of Krah’s staffers has been arrested for spying for the People’s Republic of China.

• Flipper@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Always remember, the AfD is made up of only personalities with integrity.