fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Yahoo! Messenger shut down in 2018
    MSN Messenger discontinued in 2013
    AIM Messenger discontinued in 2017

ICQ was really the last of them and it’s ending quite an era. This is, officially, the end of the Messengers.

• Kaldo@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Damn, thinking about the msn messenger brings me back to such simpler and happier times

• Capitao_Duarte@lemmy.eco.br
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        28 days ago

I can almost breath the same as young me getting home, throwing my bag in my bed and jumping to the family PC in the living room to chat with friends. Man, I never thought I’d miss the 00’s. Why’d I wanna grow up?

• Kushan@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Msn was the best, I’ll never forgive Microsoft for killing it in favour of Skype.

• macrocephalic@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Signal, etc. It’s hardly the end, the market has just been gobbled up by the big players as usual

• Plopp@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

One thing those old ones did was have conversations in their own windows. I much prefer that over having to navigate back and forth in the same damn window to jump between convos.

• brbposting@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Man and with the way they’re built today, there’s probably no hotkey that e.g. Alfred or Keyboard Maestro could help you press to navigate between conversations. Though I wouldn’t be surprised to find I’m wrong and that somebody’s figured out workarounds.

• Blackmist@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I must have used all of them over the years. Can’t remember why, they were all pretty much the same.

• Shdwdrgn@mander.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Damn, it was still running? Not that I still remember my username or password, but damn…

• astanix@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I’m not sure if it ever changed but usernames used to be numbers.

Mine started with a 3 and was 8 digits long

• PipedLinkBot@feddit.rocksB
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Here is an alternative Piped link(s):

uh oh

Piped is a privacy-respecting open-source alternative frontend to YouTube.

I’m open-source; check me out at GitHub.

• SkaveRat
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

the weirdest location I ever heard that sound was a random small supermarket that had that sound as the scan-bleep-sound of the register barcode scanner.

Every item that was getting pulled over it, went “uh oh”

• SkaveRat
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          30 days ago

yup. it was already quite hard to stay calm during the short time I had to queue

• IndiBrony@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I remember when they first introduced the live chat feature.

You could literally watch the other person type something out, erase their mistakes and correct it in real time.

That shit blew my mind as a kid.

RIP one of the most enjoyable messengers I ever used 🫡

• synae[he/him]@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

I really liked the design of the underlying protocol (OSCAR, also used by AIM). It was a lot of fun to implement in a 3rd party client and I learned so much about networking and application protocols from the experience. It contributed immensely my career path.

• farcaller@fstab.sh
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

It was my first introduction to the type-length-value concept over the network, seemed radically different from the text only IRC protocol that I knew back then. I remember how fun it was to write an elegant parser for the ICQ messaging, and how I ended up on somewhat a DOM model where I converted the on-wire format into series of nested objects. Not the most efficient idea, but it was neat.

• TWeaK@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Nooooooo. I can’t remember my ICQ, maybe I still have it somewhere, but this is still sad.

At least IRC is still going.

Edit:

In its heyday, ICQ boasted over 100 million users on its platform, which was a remarkable achievement at the time. In 2010, ICQ was purchased by Mail.ru (now VK), who has since owned the products as it declined in use.

Today, ICQ announced that they are shutting down on June 26th, recommending that users switch to VK Messenger and Workspace.

So apparently Russian business killed it.

• dinckel@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Back in like 2006, I’ve made an account for myself. A bot added me, asked how big my dick is, and then I’ve never used it again

• MisterMoo@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago
    1. About a decade ago I tried so hard to sign in but couldn’t guess my password and didn’t have access to my original email. Nothing is permanent…