Hoping to hear everyone’s week went well this past week. Go out there and have a great week this week everyone! aubrey-happy

• Thallo [she/her, he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I was reading in another thread that if you have light skin but dark hair, then starting with laser is good and then use electrolysis to clean it up.

Maybe someone here can confirm.

• AutomatedPossum [she/her]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Yeah that works pretty well. I’m having my tenth laser session on monday and the only dark stubble that remains visible is half a John Waters mustache on my left upper lip and some hairs under my nose. I haven’t needed orange concealer since about session 6 or 7. When my health insurance pays for it, i’m gonna clean the remainder up with electrolysis afterwards, especially the grey hairs on my chin, but i really went from “my beard dysphoria is murdering me” to “i’m a girl who thinks about getting rid of some annoying facial hair, but is unsure if she needs to” just with laser.

• MusicOwl [comrade/them, she/her]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Can confirm! I am on the tail end of what laser can do for me with very dark hair on quite fair skin after 7 sessions. This is the lower end of number of laser sessions. Some folks with thicker hair can require as much as double that many sessions or more and then electrolysis to kill off the persistent hairs. Just a personal recommendation if it is available to you, as laser can be quite painful. If you have a pcp prescribing your hrt, ask if they can prescribe emla cream(and check if you have any allergies to it) it is a more potent topical analgesic than you can buy over the counter in the united states. Taking 2 acetaminophen(again, make sure you’re not allergic) two hours before your session will also help cut the pain a bit. You got this, girl!

• MusicOwl [comrade/them, she/her]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

Also check what kind of laser is available to you in your area. Depending on your skin tone, the alexandrite lasers are currently the most effective for fairer skin individuals. Call ahead, and they should tell the model or just ask during the consult. Last thing: take aftercare seriously so you minimize chances of getting a burn!