• BowtiesAreCool@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    23 days ago

Did an AI edit the image? Why is Jimmy fallon there, why is Fry there? What do they have to do with beer or the Monty Python joke. I’m so confused

• ColeSloth
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      22 days ago

I took it as Fry is drinking non American beer, because American beer tastes like water.

But really, outside of a couple large national beer chains that sell their low cost “bud, coors, Busch, natty” America has a shit ton of small breweries that make a large variety of beers that aren’t that way. There’s literally over 9,000 operating breweries in the US.

• Got_Bent@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    23 days ago

When I used to teach European students, they would invariably go out and buy the cheapest crap they could find like cases of pabst genuine draft and then complain how bad the American beer is.

I think the British equivalent would be if I bought a bottle of frosty jack and used it to declare all British cider to be shitty.

You gotta spend some money to get good American beer. Pretty much all the nationally brewed stuff is shit. There’s a lot of local stuff that’s actually good.

I’m not sure how European beer culture works, but one of the reasons to drink shitty American beer water is that you can drink it all day without dying.

One more useless fact: I long thought that adjuncts in shitty American beer like corn and rice were strictly cost cutting measures. There’s definitely some truth to that. But the origins apparently go back to nineteenth century brewers being unable to achieve a clear lager with the barley that was available in America. When they used the barley exclusively, they kept getting a cloudy product.

• pingveno@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      23 days ago

At least where I’m from (Portland), it’s really not hard to find good beers, ciders, and so on. There are food carts that have 20 beers on tap and an extra collection of bottled/canned options.

• Got_Bent@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        23 days ago

You’ve definitely got no shortage of choices out there.

I was up in the other Portland last week (Maine) and they’ve also got a ton of good options.

That city name must inspire people or something.

• K4mpfie@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 days ago

Had a similar experience when roadtripping over there. Each town had a big share of local beers who were all great. Especially if you can enjoy a good IPA. Local American beers definitely are on the same level as European ones.
      Just don’t buy Bud light and similar you get at a Walmart.

• pimeys@lemmy.nauk.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    23 days ago

A classic Monty Python joke from Live at the Hollywood Bowl. Definitely some truth in this… I live in Germany with some of the best lagers in the world, and having a Miller Light for the first time was a really weird experience.

Now when I’ve visited the US quite a few times, I can say I dislike the expensive craft beers way more compared to the classic american lagers… They are way too hoppy, but the worst thing is how much more expensive they are! Like a pale ale can be over ten dollars, but a pint of PBR is 3.50. Beer should be cheap, and I don’t really like how this craft beer culture made the prices go so high.

• EtherWhack@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      23 days ago

The problem is, is the craft beer industry is obsessed with hops and the different varieties. Since IPAs are one of the most hopped beers, they took it and ran with it, all the while going down the rabbit hole of adding more and more hops. (akin to a child learning to cook by adding continually dumping in different spices to try to balance out the others) playing with the mixture of hop varieties. Most of them are also brewed to be drunk close to 0C which lightens its bitterness a bit. Though, fruit-infused and some hazy ones can sometimes have that bitterness work in their favor.

The next time you are in the US and you are still curious, while not to common, look more towards the porter/stout side. The coffee ones tend to be really good along with the more niche bourbon-barrel aged stouts. Fruity wheat beers can be a hit-or-miss with some being hopped more than others, but there is a good portion which are really good; sour ales having the same issue. Craft lagers could be another, but are almost non-existent due to how it’s brewed.

• ColeSloth
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        22 days ago

There’s over 9,000 breweries in the US, and you’ll find many aren’t all hopped up ipas. Go do some googles searching, maybe take a Lil tour if they’ll show you around, and just start trying to buy from the source when you find something you like. There’s likely one near you.

• rainynight65@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        23 days ago

My in-laws brought me back a pack of 4 different craft beers from a trip recently. I can’t drink and enjoy them - way too hoppy. Even the Pilsner - and I like a good Pilsner - was not enjoyable at all. The one that’s left is the dark beer - going to be an expensive dirty Diesel one day.

• pimeys@lemmy.nauk.io
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        23 days ago

Well… I’m still in the US, and on this trip I mostly just get a Budweiser or Modelo when I want a beer. I feel like I don’t need to make a scene about the beer I drink, because a beer is a beer… I also enjoyed Coors Banquet a lot.

Wines are a different matter. In the Oregon vineyards I’ve had some of the best pinots I’ve ever tasted, much better than the pinots I’ve had in France. One of the best things on this trip was our day of tastings in the different wineries.

• EtherWhack@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          23 days ago

I figured as much. Just wanted to give some suggestions if you ever were interested in going down that route again.

Being less than couple hours from Napa Valley, I do definitely get the appeal of a good wine though. I, myself prefer them over beer in most cases too.

• protist@mander.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      23 days ago

Why haven’t any American brewers been able to make a solid lager? I typically get Spaten or Becks, but pretty much every American lager I try is terrible

• pimeys@lemmy.nauk.io
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        23 days ago

It is very hard to brew a good lager, like the good Helles style famously brewed in Bavaria. I’ve been on a mission every time I come to the US to find good Helles, and I found two places that get very close:

This place in Seattle: https://maps.app.goo.gl/czPMtm4xkunkopEc8

And this in Weaverville: https://maps.app.goo.gl/wuNS33EcQ1qC9zfb9

But quite often even if they advertise the beer as German style Helles, it has some quality that makes it very different. Usually it’s sweet or even hoppy. I think for an american a special beer should have a special taste, but a good Helles is just very fresh and crisp beer.

Edit: and Becks is one of the worst beers in Germany in my opinion… At least nobody tries to sell overpriced Sternburg here.

• veroxii@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          23 days ago

Yes “sweet or hoppy” sums it up so well. I’ve been traveling a lot to the USA the last few years and whenever I bring this up at the inevitable craft brewery we end up at the Americans think I have no sense of taste in beer.

But they’re all the same and horrible. They’ve been brain washed.

• bradorsomething@ttrpg.network
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    23 days ago

Has anyone here ever had sex in a canoe? I can only imagine the logistics of laying down enough life preservers to make it comfortable, and any sidewards motions should be right out unless you want to turn this into skinny dipping. I guess you could use the momentum to your advantage to get some good thrusts in, but really, has the bottom of a canoe ever smelled sexy?

Just something to think about.

• TheControlled@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    23 days ago

America has some of the best beer on Earth. Europeans really show their cultural naivete and prejudice when they say stuff like this. I used be feel mad, now I just pity them.

• 1rre
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

America has the best and worst beer, as PNW is one of the best hop growing regions, but overly industrial pisswater still rules

• TheControlled@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        22 days ago

Indeed. And the “worst” is great for a beer bong or beer pong sesh. Also great poured over your face when its 120F/≈44C.

• AntiOutsideAktion [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    23 days ago

Light beer is good for if maybe I don’t want to get trashed from one beer or rationalize enjoying it warm because you nurse it for 90 minutes