• tuckerm@supermeter.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    15 days ago

I downloaded an ISO of it a while ago and played through maybe third of the game. I found it to be very playable. People always mention the long load times, but it’s worth mentioning that long load times were much more common back then. (Although Half-Life on DC was even longer than usual.)

Also, I hate to be nit picky, but the blog post linked here manages to be weirdly wrong about two things and it’s barely one paragraph long, lol.

Half-Life is one of the most successful video games of the early 2000s.

Ahhh, 1998. One of the best years of the early 2000s.

Half-Life was everywhere… except one notable place: Sega’s Dreamcast. It has been a mystery as to what happened with a game destined to have a port on every possible platform.

Half-Life was a PC exclusive until the PS2 port in November 2001, ten months after the Dreamcast was discontinued. The PC and PS2 versions are still the only official versions to this day. Half-Life is not known for being on every platform. Was the author thinking of Doom, one of the best games of the mid 70s?

• Jerkface@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      15 days ago

Doom, one of the best games of the mid 70s?

Who else here remembers late nights slaying demons to Simon and Garfunkel’s “Bridge over Troubled Water?”

• mctoasterson@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      14 days ago

You are correct about the release year. If one were being pedantic I suppose it would be correct to say that thanks to multiplayer and mods, Half-Life was a popular PC game/engine all throughout the early 2000s. Come to think of it, there are probably still people playing CS 1.6 today.

• tuckerm@supermeter.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        14 days ago

Come to think of it, there are probably still people playing CS 1.6 today.

Whoa, turns out to be a lot of them. 14,400 as of a few minutes ago! https://steamcharts.com/app/10

That’s as many as the two most recent Battlefield games have combined right now. Battlefield 2042 currently around 8,000 and Battlefield V at 6,000. I’m sure console players would boost the Battlefield numbers quite a bit, but still. That’s pretty cool.

• UKFilmNerd@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    15 days ago

I swear I downloaded and played Half Life for the DC back when I had the machine. I think it was Blue Shift which was originally going to be on the DC first (as an exclusive?).

It was perfectly fine to play but I guess due to hardware limitations, the areas in which you played weren’t that large and loading times off the CD was quite slow.

• macstainless
      cake
      OP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      15 days ago

I felt the same way. I could’ve sworn I played it on Dreamcast a few years ago, but when I asked my buddy (who’s a giant gamer) I was corrected that it never hit DC.

• UKFilmNerd@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        15 days ago

The Blue Shift expansion definitely was released onto the internet, but the loading times put me off playing the game.