• Brkdncr@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    21 days ago

Zoom oddly enough was one of the first companies to require people to return to office.

• henfredemars@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 days ago

Thank you. As a child I always thought this was such an important job. It’s a shame the highest paid humans are useless.

• Lost_My_Mind@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        21 days ago

It IS an important job! Without us, the disabled, the elderly, and the lazy enough to become 600lbs couldn’t traverse large airports, and fly to various cities. We do a lot of hard backbreaking work for often very little money.

So the next time you fly with grandma, slip your wheelchair assistant a $20 bill tip. Unless they were spectacularly awful at their jobs, and tossed your grandma down a flight of stairs…

That would be awful!!! Still though…maybe like $5?

• jabathekek@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 days ago

Easy; just shove a massive LiDAR scanner underneath, a few rechargeable 12 volt batteries, an acceptably advanced image processing system- it’s basically a self driving golf cart that would probably cost more then your yearly salary and not work as well but common sense doesn’t really mean anything to management so it’ll happen either way!

• Lost_My_Mind@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        21 days ago

…stop being right. I know you don’t know the layout of the airport I work at, but theres a part where I’m SURE that thing would run over people.

• yopla@jlai.lu
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          21 days ago

. that thing would run over people.

By running over people it will ensure that it has a decent supply of people in wheelchair. Because even AI need job security.

• MonkderDritte@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    21 days ago

What he understands as “work” is easily replaceable with an AI. Good to know.

• aramova@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    21 days ago

He’s the one who ordered all the zoom employees to RTO right? Are we supposed to expect him to let people go to the beach?

• barsquid@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    21 days ago

I also want this. But Zoom is a corporation, so it must be some sort of trick.

• pdxfed@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        20 days ago

As an employee you can enroll in our voluntary PTO insurance coverage benefit to only pay 40% of your salary to zoom while on PTO, you get to keep 60%!

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      14 days ago

The joke is you AI yourself out of a job. And Zoom collects a small portion of what you would have been paid. Along with thousands of other workers.

• ShittyBeatlesFCPres@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    21 days ago

He clearly doesn’t understand how office politics works. If I’m taking a Zoom call at the beach, I want my camera on so I can flex on everyone in the office or home in their pajamas. I hope the CEO joins the call and sees me in my shades so I can get promoted to VP of Staying Light and Keeping it Tight.

• LANIK2000@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    21 days ago

If jobs consisted of only attending video calls and wiring emails, the world would be a very different place.

• Car@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 days ago

I honestly don’t know if this would be like letting toddlers run a daycare or if it would be paradise.

• LANIK2000@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        21 days ago

Honestly, I have trouble imagining such a world. Hmmm… The more I think about it, the more it just kinda sounds like high school… Sends shivers down my spine.

• LANIK2000@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        21 days ago

As a developer I have to say OH hell nah. If I had to compare the issue to something more layman, I’d compare it to tesla’s self driving. If I have to watch it the entire time it does its thing because there’s an almost certain chance it’ll mess something up CATASTROPHICALLY due to the fact that it literally lacks the ability to understand, than I might as well just do it my self. It rarely saves time and only in dumb cases, that should have been automated in other ways a long time ago.

Not saying it’s not a very handy tool occasionally, just that it can’t come up with solutions to problems on its own, which is like 75% of my work. And it can’t do this due to a fundamental limitation in how learning models work, no amount of training will fix this.

• Valmond@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          20 days ago

We’re getting close to 100% meetings and bullshit reportings in tech was what I tried to convey.

• LANIK2000@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            20 days ago

Sounds like the kind of work my analyst does. I guess he’s technically part of the development team, so sure??? Our 3 client mediators are totally taking over. Also pretty sure we’re the only IT department that even has such a thing. The only other person in our IT branch to be mainly doing calls and such is the top head of IT, every other IT boss still has a lot of technical work around their necks. So at least at my job “close to 100%” is an absolute farcry.

It’s a very similar story at my girlfriend’s work place. Except they don’t even have analysts.

• Voroxpete@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    20 days ago

So, end capitalism and build a fully automated post-scarcity utopia where machines do all the work and humans spend our lives doing the things we really want to do?

Sounds good bro, let’s do it.

• Kazumara
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    20 days ago

Wake me up when the AI travels to the network PoPs for me to replace broken parts, to install new transponder cards and new routers, to cable everything up correctly, to label it all and to photograph the result for documentation.