• _NoName_@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 days ago

First two are a rogue agent killing only to sustain itself, and a criminal figurehead attempting to solicit societal change. Ronald, though, is a systemically approved, profit-motivated conglomerate. It’s always when dangerous systems become systematized that they reach new levels of destructiveness.

• CrazyLikeGollum@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    13 days ago

Pennywise kills a handful of people every 27 years and has been doing so for 300 years or so. He probably has kill count under 100.

Between the kills he gets that are directly shown on screen and the number of casualties you could reasonably assume were the result of his actions, Heath Ledger’s Joker probably killed a few thousand people.

Ronald McDonald on the other hand, was the main marketing vehicle for a company that sells food products that are incredibly unhealthy and addictive. He is probably indirectly responsible for the deaths of millions of people.

Heart disease kills several orders of magnitude more people than extradimensional demons or psychopathic clowns.

• Viking_Hippie@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      13 days ago

Heart disease kills several orders of magnitude more people than extradimensional demons or psychopathic clowns.

And if you factor in politicians, you have psychopatic clowns killing millions by passing policy that objectively helps keep those heart disease numbers up!

• kameecoding@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      13 days ago

I fucking hate when Ronald shows up at my door with a gun in his hand and forces me to eat burgers and get heart disease.

A true menace to society

• Barbarian@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        13 days ago

It’s a well known fact that advertising never works and is a waste of money. That’s why the entire industry died 80 years ago, and nobody ever published an ad ever again.

• Barbarian@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            13 days ago

Considering Ronald McDonald was a character primarily aimed at young children, I don’t think they were mentally capable of having personal responsibility at that age.

As for the parents who were pestered to buy happy meals by their children, there’s like 50 ways to answer this question. I personally think that in a mentally healthy adult, personal responsibility is a factor, but it’s not the only one and is balanced by social conditioning, genetic predispositions, mood in the moment, and a ton more factors.

The children who for one reason or another were brought up eating fast food are conditioned both socially and biologically to eat fast food, and breaking out of that addiction (as with any other addiction) can be very difficult, and is more complex than doing the equivalent of saying “git gud scrub”.

Wow, that turned into a wall of text, sorry.

Tl;dr: it’s way more complex than just “personal responsibility”.

• HootinNHollerin@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    12 days ago

I find it disturbing that McDonald’s asks if you wanna donate to their hospital. Like:

1. your fucking executives sure can
    2. you’re dealing ultra-processed junk food, then asking people to donate to a hospital for you?
      • Sarmyth@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        12 days ago

I used to believe this too. I was corrected and informed that if it collected as a donation it is not the company making the donation and they can not gain tax benefits from it. They also aren’t paying a sales tax on that money either.

The benefit is exclusively the good PR from arranging the donation, which to be fair, they did. If the donation came through a credit card they may have covered the ~3% transaction fee, although they could potentially write that off for the portion that the donation increased the fee by.

• Tlaloc_Temporal@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 days ago

That make complete sense, thank you for correcting me.

I think I was conflating the practice of matching donations with this, as both have a corporation encouraging you to donate to the charity they choose.

• neo@lemy.lol
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    13 days ago

You better shut your noisy mouth or he will shove a burger in there and let the hot coffee do the talking.

• Tlaloc_Temporal@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            12 days ago

If you consider Imperialism a religion yes. Imperialism so often adopts the predominant religion (Nazi, U.S., H.R.E.) or directly competes with it (eastern bloc communism) that I don’t think it’s an unreasonable position.

Perhaps we should blame the root cause here: non-representative authoritarianism. The taking of power not given.

• dumbass@leminal.space
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    13 days ago

Ronald McDonald by like a good country mile, yeah joker has killed a whole bunch of people, but his kill counter stops every so often, Ronald’s has a constant flow of smoke coming from it its moving so fast.

• JackbyDev@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    12 days ago

Was It on different planets before earth? If so, then It. Otherwise Joker. I wouldn’t count a life being shortened by unhealthy foods as killing. It’s like an assist lol.

• BmeBenji@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    13 days ago

I think this belongs in c/antiquememeroadshow or c/forwardsfromgrandma