• 420blazeit69 [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    16 days ago

Perhaps the most egregious part of this is that the graph shows dollar expenditures, not meals bought.

• A store in 2014 sells 1000 hamburgers at $5 each = $5000 in expenditures
    • Same store in 2024 sells 800 hamburgers at $10 each = $8000 in expenditures

It’s common for companies to raise prices to increase revenue, even if raising prices results in fewer people buying your product. This shit is taught in high school economics. Absolutely nothing here shows anything about how many people can afford fast food.

• Also, the other thing is to look at with this is people eating out generally, there could also be the phenomena of middle class people responding to increased prices by eating fast food more to substitute more expensive take out options.

• hexaflexagonbear [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        16 days ago

Another factor is people could generally be living further from work now than 10 years ago due to higher rents. Meaning they’re more likely to eat a meal near their office while having less time to cook, hence needing fast food.

• Infamousblt [any]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          16 days ago

This was kind of my first thought. I eat out more when I’m stressed because of the comfort of eating out and the lack of energy to cook for myself, even if it puts me in a worse economic situation. Sometimes you have to cope just to keep alive. Maybe we can coin the term “copeanomics” to describe increased sales of “luxury” items in times of increased societal instability.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            16 days ago

Maybe we can coin the term “copeanomics”

There probably is already an industry term for it, because it’s basically the fast food indutry’s entire business model.

• duderium [he/him]@hexbear.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            16 days ago

I have coworkers who purchase takeout food and/or coffee every single day despite their having literally no money (one coworker actually ran out of money one day and refused like five offers from me to buy him lunch) so I’ve been wondering about this. I make my own lunch and coffee and save immense amounts of money from doing so, but this may also be a form of privilege.

• buh [any]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        16 days ago

And don’t forget good ol’ fashioned doomspending. If you’ll never afford a house and aren’t even sure you’ll still be able to afford rent in the distant future, why bother saving that $12? Just go ahead and treat yourself to the overpriced burg while you still can.

• Chronicon [they/them]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        16 days ago

as people in the replies to Stancil (linked by Parsani below) mention, the CPI adjustment is based on overall inflation, not inflation of restaurant prices specifically, so it’s still flawed IMO since I believe restaurant (especially fast food) price inflation significantly outpaces overall inflation.

• 420blazeit69 [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        16 days ago

Even adjusting for inflation, it’s common to raise prices to increase revenue (consumer expenditures). There are business people all over the world right now drawing up graphs of how much total revenue they can generate at different price points, and low price/mass sales is not a good approach for many companies.

This is an important point, because prices are set largely by what people are willing to pay, not costs + whatever margin a company picks, for example. Tons of right-wing media pretends industry does rudimentary cost + margin pricing to push talking points like “if our business has to pay one cent more in taxes or wages that will ultimately be paid by consumers,” which is preposterous theoretically and has been disproven by real data over and over.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          16 days ago

not costs + whatever margin a company picks

Basically: sale price is determined by what company thinks maximizes overall profit, cost of product (including shrink) determines whether the product is carried at all. It’s something I bring up in the shoplifting debate a lot, as people assume it increases price of individual items. Of course shrink plays a role when businesses make decisions, but why would a business charge you less than you’re willing to pay for an item?

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      16 days ago

Stancil is the fucking worst smuglord

might as well eat out while you can, the climate is collapsing, the economy is struggling and constantly appears to be on the brink of recession (and in some sectors layoffs are already sweeping), oh and we’re brushing up dangerously close to another pandemic with bird flu. What point is there in pinching pennies when you know you can’t win?

• davel [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        16 days ago

Is Stancil grooming himself as Krugman’s protegé? It’s a decent grift: the guy has purportedly banked ~$5M, which is enough to retire on, if you can do without avocado toast.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          16 days ago

stancil is running for some bullshit in minnesota I guess. Aiming low. But yeah if I had to guess his fallback plan after politics is Takes

• DragonBallZinn [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    16 days ago

Really cool how every necessity in the US is treated just like a stock: another speculative asset and the idea of making something to fulfill a purpose is just…alien to the American mind. Even if you profit from selling something people need and fulfilling that need.

• GrouchyGrouse [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      16 days ago

Americans are bad at dystopian fiction because every time some nerd is like “imagine a terrible future where you pay money for air” a whole rogues gallery of lamprey-men think it sounds like a great idea.

• I was thinking about winning the extremely scientific and intellectually rigorous Nobel Prize in Economics, but everytime I sit down to write Rich and Powerful People Are Rich and Powerful Because They Are Supposed to Be I have diarrhea.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      16 days ago

The social cost of the pandemic will be felt for years if not decades. Incalculable. Our government says “here’s a tenner and a bag of peanuts.”

• ClimateChangeAnxiety [he/him, they/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    16 days ago

Holy fucking shit what an amazing willing misunderstanding of a graph

That’s not a graph of meals eaten at fast food, it’s money spent. That graph says exactly what he’s trying to disprove!!! That is a graph that says “people are spending more money on fast food” which is very easily explained by “the cost of fast food has increased”!

This isn’t even pissing on my head and telling me it’s raining, this is pissing on my head and telling me it’s a sunny day in the middle of a drought!

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      16 days ago

Yes. It has nothing to do with Nobel. They just slapped the name on it because they wanted to add legitimacy to their bullshit. It’s like getting a “Nobel prize” in Ouiji Boarding.

• radiofreeval [any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    16 days ago

Nobel economics prize: not a real Nobel. It’s technically called The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel, because economists are insufferable nerds and aren’t comparable to real arts and sciences.

• context [fae/faer, fae/faer]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    16 days ago

(5) When the Lamb opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature say, “Come!” I looked, and there before me was a black horse! Its rider was holding a pair of scales in his hand. (6) Then I heard what sounded like a voice among the four living creatures, saying, “Two pounds of wheat for a day’s wages, and six pounds of barley for a day’s wages, and do not damage the oil and the wine!” --the revelation of st. john, ch. 6

a literally biblical famine is when food is so expensive that you have to work all day just to afford one day’s worth of food for yourself, or one day’s worth of less nutritious food for yourself and a small family

why-angel if food is too expensive, then why are you spending literally all of your money on it?

• Llituro [he/him, they/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    16 days ago

reminder that the “NOBel Prize in Economics” isn’t even a real Nobel, is looked upon with disdain by the Nobels, was established to legitimize capitalist economics to the masses, and wasn’t even presented along with the others for a while. so their highest award isn’t even telling the truth about itself. you know how i know they didn’t have to do all that if economics was a legitimate science? because their is no mathematics Nobel prize, and instead of inventing one, calling it the same name, and then arguing their way into the ceremony, there’s just a different scandinavian prize established for math called the Abel prize. (The Fields Medal varies significantly in its criterion from other culminatory prizes in other fields and is not comparable to the Nobel despite being about equally prestigious.)

• ta00000 [none/use name]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    16 days ago

Congrats on normalizing to 2017 dollars, however the graph starts at a misleading 260 billion, not zero. I was always told it’s considered bad form not to include the little squiggly break lines to show that on bar graphs.

So if the amount spent went from roughly 340 billion to 380 billion, ~10% increase, but the cost/quantity*quality of that food (which is difficult to calculate because of shrinkflation, shittier quality generally, and different items being on the menu) has easily gone up 25% at an absolutely uncontroversial low end, that proves the opposite, that people are eating fast food less than pre-covid.

After the revolution I want his nobel prize taken and awarded to me.