ETA:

I do mine through dns @router, and I won’t be arsed to kludge that for the privilege…

• cum@lemmy.cafe
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 days ago

Not an issue on Firefox btw, though that’s probably a garbage site to begin with

• Scrubbles@poptalk.scrubbles.tech
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    14 days ago

Disables

30 ads all over the page start to appear, moving and shifting the article I was trying to read, flashing in my face and covering content. An auto playing video starts to play, and follows me down the page.

Why won’t anyone disable their ad blocker, we need ad revenue!

• Possibly linux@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      13 days ago

Not to mention Google, Facebook and everyone else now knows you visited that page and they even can look at where you are hovering at to determine focus.

• henfredemars@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    14 days ago

I click through or I just leave if I can’t.

I’m sorry, but I use a network-wide ad blocker and ads are just not worth it. If I really care about the website I support it directly through donation.

• Lemminary@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    14 days ago

I also love the “Will you please let our dedicated team and our 658 partners use cookies and your private data? Pewtie pwease?? UwU”

• nogooduser@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      13 days ago

I used to hate that they had a consent option and a legitimate interest option for the same thing. It wasn’t clear what would happen if I agreed to one and not the other.

Then they started being explicit and saying that these “partners” require consent and these others require you to object to their legitimate interest and now I hate it more because there are hundreds of these “partners”.

• Moonrise2473@feddit.it
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    14 days ago

If it’s a small website like the one you screenshotted, yes, I disable the adblocker for them.

If the website is unreadable without an adblocker like XDA, then fuck them, I’m going to block the adblocker-blocker

• Delphia@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      14 days ago

Its a case by case basis. Local news is probably a “yeah ok” or a niche hobby website that isnt an AI generated thinly veiled excuse for amazon affiliate links.

National organisation that still puts most of their shit behind a paywall and bombards me with bullshit. LOL, fuck off.

• pruwyben
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    14 days ago

I keep adblock turned off for some websites, like small creators and things like that. As long as the ads aren’t too terrible.

• topher@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        14 days ago

Press and hold? I hadn’t thought about that idea to be honest, I’ll have to try that next time. I use Vivaldi on both Android and desktop, which is based on Chromium (the open source project base for Google Chrome).

Edit - just tried it, didn’t work for me. It’s not an option in my menu. I’ll try and figure out the dev console on mobile and post here if I figure it out.

• OmgItBurns@discuss.online
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    14 days ago

I always wonder how much of the ad hell some websites have is necessary to maintain the website and pay employees a (hopefully) livable wage vs pure greed.

One of the worst things, in my opinion, that came from the old Internet was just how shady and sometimes dangerous ads are.

• FartsWithAnAccent@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    14 days ago

It’s kinda cute that they put in a link to continue without disabling. I mean, you could block it anyways or just go to another site, but still

• Psych@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    13 days ago

I kinda feel bad not doing it on ad supported piracy sites . But I don’t mostly because the ads and their redirects on those kinda sites tend to be abysmal .