anyway, here is the democrats acquiescing to right-wing framing on the issue this very election year.

• Hestia [comrade/them, she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 days ago

I want fewer gender-affirming surgeries… That’s why I advocate for the liberal use of puberty blockers and HRT, so their body develops how they want it to.

Then you’d only have to worry about bottom surgeries if it causes them dysphoria.

• SoyViking [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

The staunch supporter of trans rights whose most explicit statement on the topic is that he wants to ban trans healthcare?

Words have no meaning anymore.

• radiofreeval [any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 days ago

Have you actually heard of anyone getting gender affirming surgery before 18? Everyone I know was in their 20s. Already, nobody gives minors bottom surgery and top surgery for minors is very rare. The white surgery on minors things seems blown out of proportion by the right to me.

• D61 [any]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 day ago

The problem is, this paves the way for LEGISLATORS to stand between medical professionals and their patients.

Already, nobody gives minors bottom surgery and top surgery for minors is very rare

Correct, if its so rare, then why do we need legislation that forbids it? Why do we need a presidential administration to weigh in with their opinion that they think ALL medical intervention (this includes hormones) should be forbidden? This is an unforced error by the Dems. The correct answer is to leave it up to the patients and their doctors.

• radiofreeval [any]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 day ago

Exactly, medical safeguards already exist for this, along with almost all treatments. Minors transitioning and wrongful transition is wholly a medical and professional issue, not a legislative one.

• Ecohex [she/her, she/her]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      3 days ago

i think there’s a few cases of people getting surgery at 16 or 17, but these would be cases where the kids have been being treated from a young age with therapy/blockers i imagine. not some 16 year old turning up for their first appointment and getting surgery

• Luna [she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 days ago

No, you don’t understand. Biden is the harm reduction candidate because Trump will do this but worse /j

• queermunist she/her@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

These things are already happening on the state level and I don’t think Trump would be able to successfully do this at the federal level, so really, what’s the difference?

• TheDoctor [they/them]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 days ago

I don’t think Trump would be able to successfully do this at the federal level

I’m curious why. Like what specific power structure would stop him? Not saying you’re wrong. Just not sure what that would entail.

• queermunist she/her@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 days ago

“I will declare that any hospital or health-care provider that participates in the chemical or physical mutilation of minor youth no longer meets federal health and safety standards—they will be terminated from receiving federal funds effective immediately.

“On Day One, I will sign a new executive order to cut federal funding for any school pushing critical race theory, transgender insanity, and other inappropriate racial, sexual, or political content on our children,” Trump said.

“I will not give one penny to any institution that has a vaccine mandate or mask mandate from kindergarten through college,” Trump said.

Okay so he’s quoted as saying a lot of shit in that article, but what sticks out to me is that the US Constitution gives Congress the power of the purse i.e. the ability to determine who gets federal funds. He doesn’t get to just slash funding for whatever he wants… assuming Constitutional law still matters and his Court doesn’t just give him the power to do everything he wants anyway.

• TheDoctor [they/them]@hexbear.net
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 days ago

I think there’s some nuance where the executive bureaucracy has a lot of discretion over federal spending depending on how that funding is allocated. I’m not sure of the specifics, but once a federal agency has funding, it often has the ability to pull certain funding from the states. I think a big part of Project 2025 (which is basically a more Trump-oriented version of what The Heritage Foundation has been pushing for decades) is the idea that federal employees can be reclassified from merit-based jobs to politically appointed positions, allowing for specialized positions which were previously protected from administration to administration within various agencies to become direct presidential appointees. And Project 2025 has thousands of people lined up for Trump to appoint along party lines.

All this said, I still think that many states will have protections for existing trans rights. Like New York specifically has protections beyond the relevant federal laws.

• Frogmanfromlake [none/use name]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 days ago

There are still people who think Hillary would have done a lot for trans rights when she’s made it clear that she thinks Dems should do less lip service to win elections. This won’t sway the diehards.